Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MSG-Convention) The Ramada New Yorker

Brazil
By Brazil,
in

Hi, first message here :)

Got a $139 deal for a 3* MTC hotel, can you help me ID it?

Amenities: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

Recommended in 70% of customer reviewers, 40+ total reviews, Overall satisfaction 4.0

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating 3

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Best guess is that this is The Manattan at Times Square (previously the Sheraton Manhattan).

I haven't look at these specific dated, but this is usually an inexpensive time in NYC and i think you could do better than the above... do you have specific needs for this stay and/or would you consider bidding on PRICELINE?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and your searches too!)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for answering! Looking around Tripadvisor, that was one of the three hotels I could narrow in my search.

I can't seem to do better than $140 searching anywhere, but haven't really used PRICELINE for bidding before. I'm just looking for an MTC hotel with a private bathroom that's not a dumpster like Pensylvannia Hotel or Hotel Carter... :)

In terms of the 3* HOTWIRE property, you could try bidding for a 3* the same area (MTW) or in another zone nearby at a lower price in order to get under the rate/s that HOTWIRE is showing at this star level. If this is of interest, we could suggest a way to approach bidding depending on which zones you would be interested in bidding for.

You can see the PRICELINE hotels that have been reported to the board (there may be others, but these are what have been reported to the board) are available at this link.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Searching further, I found Affinia Manhattan, the only 3 1/2* in MSG area, listed on PRICELINE at $209. I'll probably start bidding around $90 to $110. Is it a good strategy? I can always re-bid including other areas that do not offer 3 1/2* hotels like Coney Island, Upper East Side, Long Island and Chelsea, right?

To begin, if you're using the "retail" side of PRICELINE to determine what you'll get when bidding, you shouldn't do that, as explained in the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ. If you're basing your conclusion on the hotels reported to the board, see the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List.

If your plans are so flexible that you're "...just looking for an MTC hotel with a private bathroom that's not a dumpster..." why restrict your bidding to just the MSG zone? If the Affinia Manhattan is the only 3.5* rated hotel in the zone, why bid for just this one when there might be others in other centrally located zones with are cheaper?

My advice would be to determine all zones which are acceptable and use a bidding strategy which will give you the least expensive hotel in the zones you're willing to accept.

Thoughts?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is the only 3.5* MSG hotel listed in the "retail" site and in the forum's hotel list, so I figured out it would be a safer bet.

The location is better than the one I was looking for (Hotel Stanford); including other zones/stars adds a greater risk of getting hotels that are not as well rated and located. Does it make any sense? Never did this before so I'm probably overthinking the whole process...

Given this is the only 3.5* hotel showing in the retail side, and the only hotel in our hotel list, increases the odds that this is is the hotel you'll receive, but it's far from guaranteed.

The greatest savings and deals usually come when users are the most flexible in their plans. This isn't to say that you should blindly add zones that may have a 'known' problem hotel, or hotels with poor locations, but PRICELINE is usually not the best option if you're looking for a specific hotel or location.

If you were to bid on just the 3.5* MSG zone, what would be your maximum bid?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

If you're trying to target a specific property but would be happy with any 3.5* rated hotel in this zone you can try up to $120... at that price not too much risk of a better deal in a nearby zone (most likely the deal would be comprable)

However, there are reports at the Affinia Manhattan of some PRICELINE guests getting a small room, without the kitchenette and larger studio rooms, which is part of the reason for the good reviews of this property.

Let us know if you still want to try for this zone and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

I looked into PRICELINE reviews and it seems to happen more often than not. That's too much of a headache risk for me, as I'm going on vacations.

On the other side, any 2.5* MSG hotel listed on this forum's PRICELINE Hotel List (Hampton Inns, Holiday Inns, Hotel 41 and maybe Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown) sound reasonable. I'll try bidding for it, then. Any suggestions on starting bids? PRICELINE showed a winning bid of $99 on that area recently, and based on last year winning bids calendar for the same period, I might get something around $100. Having that in mind and a maximum bid of $120, how should I proceed?

Thanks for helping!

I think you're setting yourself up for potential disappointment, 'choosing' your hotels and then trying to figure out how to get them, but if you want to try for a 2.5* property in the MSG zone...

At the 2.5* level you have ONE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. (NOTE: Hell's Kitchen is not a re-bid zone)

Select 2.5* MSG...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and increase each bid by $5. This will take you up to your $120 maximum in 3-4 days.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and not the links in any PRICELINE emails you may receive informing you that you're eligible to bid again)

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

Why can't I use Hell's Kitchen as a re-bid zone, since the area offers only 3* and up hotels? I might be 'upgraded' to a 3* there? I can only re-bid zones that doesn't have superior hotels than the class I'm bidding for? I'm stuck with Coney Island, then, right?

I'll let you guys know as soon as I start the bidding process. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Had to change my travel dates, so right now I'm bidding for 2.5* and 3* hotels in MSG checking in @ 8/17/2010 and checking out @ 8/23/2010.

Tried $85 for 3*MSG, got nothing. Included Coney Island and increased the bid to $90, no deal.

My wife also tried, starting on $95 and $100. Not a deal.

Waiting 24 hours to re-bid now. Prices have escalated in NY for that time frame on HOTWIRE. Any thoughts?

I have clicked on your PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, of course. :) Thanks again!

My thoughts are the same as above...

If you're looking for the best deal possible, i would be including other zones which would also work for your plans... there is really no need to only bid the MSG zone, imo. As well, usually the best 'bang for your buck' is at the higher rated hotels... fixed costs in Manhattan are high, so it's easier for a $200 hotel to deeply discount their rates than it is for a $125 hotel to offer a similar discount.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]