Priceline Hotel: 5* Amsterdam (City Centre-Museum Quarter) Grand Hotel Amrath

Kaneohe0850
By Kaneohe0850,
in

I've been bidding (via PRICELINE link) on a hotel for Amsterdam and have not had any luck, so I need some guidance from the experts... Can someone suggest a bidding strategy that will meet the following criteria:

Dates: 18-21 May 2010 (3 nights), 1 person

Zone: City Centre and Museum Quarter (not interested in any other zones)

Hotel Rating: 5-star is first choice, 4-star is second choice (provide as separate strategies if necessary)

Over the past two weeks, I have placed bids on a 5-star ranging from $114 to $131 with no luck. I have also placed bids on 4-star hotels ranging from $79 to $92. Not sure what I'm doing wrong--Help!

I took a look at your dates via HOTWIRE - one day at a time. Your problem date is the 18th. The 5* was $276! Must be some major event that night. The next two nights it dropped back to $119 and $109. With PRICELINE it seems one's bid must be high enough to clear the most expensive night - no averaging. I don't know what your travel arrangements are, but if you have any flexibility this would be the time to exercise it. For your dates, this a classic situation for splitting your bid, going for the two lower priced nights first.

PRICELINE also tends to be a little less expensive than HOTWIRE, so if you do split your bid, don't start too high for those last two nights. They are close enough that they could be bid together.

Romelle

Nice detective work Romelle :)

Kaneohe0850, here is a link which discussed the strategy above in more detail: SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Let us know your thoughts, as well as your maximum bid for this stay, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Right now a match for the 5* Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam is coming up on HOTWIRE for your dates at $139.

I would grab this if you can as it is well under the 4* offer there right now.

Looking at the stats for your dates you would be over $155 for 5* with PRICELINE and over $100 for 4* on your dates. A $173 re-bid comes up same for 4* and 5* which would indicate no 4* inventory in the Museum Quarter with PRICELINE at the moment to me.

Thanks to all of you---some very good advice offered here with insight I had missed!

Based on the advice given, I went ahead and grabbed the hotel via HOTWIRE (used your link) and won the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam. Here are the stats:

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

May 18-21, 2010 (3 nights)

5* property located in the City Center - Museum Quarter

Price: $136 per night + taxes/fees + travel insurance ($26) = $494

Amenities: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center

I don't usually opt for travel insurance, but with the recent volcanic activity I thought this was an inexpensive option.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Glad you were able to get that one. Seems like a popular hotel.

The insurance is especially good for multi night stays as a priceline hotel can cancel an entire reservation for missing the check-in date. This way they help you at least.

I was told that most travel insurance policies will now not be valid if the reason is the volcano as pre-knowledge of the issue exists. Would be interesting to know how Priceline handled this these past 2 weeks.

Must still better with insurance than without.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're happy with the results.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Hope your travel goes smoothly with no 'natural disasters' effecting your plans. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]