Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* New Orleans (French Quarter) Chateau Bourbon Wyndham

LauraCallaway
By LauraCallaway,
in

Hi! I need some help with bidding strategies. My bf and I are planning to travel to NOLA from 7/13/10 to 7/17/10. We have our plane tickets, and now we're shopping around for hotel deals. We're planning to book through Hotwire or Priceline.

Hotwire currently has a deal for a 3.5* in the FQ area for $59 a night (seems like a great deal). Amenities include: non-smoking rooms, fitness center, pool, restaurant, business center, and high-speed internet access. Any idea which hotels this deal could include? I'd like to look each up beforehand to see how the reviews rate the location.

We started bidding on Priceline last week (didn't use your link, but now we will!). Started at $50 for 4* in FQ, then added 3.5*. Denied. Moved up in $2 increments every day to $56 with no luck. We're possibly willing to add the Convention Center, Downtown, and/or Garden District to the bidding spectrum if there's a cheap mode of transportation to and from FQ area (I've read about buses and streetcars - are these a good option?), however; if the cost of transportation ($12 each for a 3-day bus pass, or $1.25 per person per ride) included w/ the hotel price (outside the FQ) is MORE expensive than a comparable hotel in the FQ, then that makes no sense to go with the former over the latter.

Priorities:

1. Good hotel (3.5* +)

2. Price (hopefully under $60, but willing to pay up to $65)

3. Location (nearest to FQ)

Actually all of these are tied for #1 in importance!

I hope I gave you all the info you need! Thanks in advance!

In retrospect, seems like the Hotwire deal would be best, huh? What should we do?

LC

(Upon posting, I realize my subject and byline are not in sync with all the others. Sorry! I thought I had read through all the FAQ's!)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The above matches previous reports for the Chateau Bourbon Wyndham Historic so that would be my best guess for this one. (although i'd add a second guess of the Astor Crowne Plaza is a smoke free icon has been added to this property since last reported to the board)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick response!

I like what I'm seeing on tripadvisor.com for Chateau Bourbon Wyndham Historic - seems better received than the Astor Crowne Plaza, if that is indeed an option.

I enjoy the amenity list feature on Hotwire - does Priceline have something similar?

I think what we may end up doing is reserving the Hotwire deal as a Plan B (the same deal has been advertised for 2+ weeks now, and I'm assuming it'll last through tonight as well). I took a look at the rebidding strategy, about new zones to add that don't have the star criteria, and think that we could possibly get up to 11 bids total with this plan:

Plan A, part 1:

4*

1. FQ = $60

2. + Metairie = $62

3. + Garden = $64

4. + MSY = $66

5. + NO East = $68

6. + NO West = $70

If nothing bites, then:

Plan A, part 2:

3.5*

7. FQ = $50

8. + Garden = $52

9. + MSY = $54

10. + NO East = $56

11. + NO West = $58

If we get no takers, I think we'll go with the Hotwire deal.

Is this a good plan? Is it silly to bid up in increments of only $2? Are there any flaws that I overlooked?

Thanks again for your help! This is so fun!

LC

Hello, again.

One more question:

To what services is the consumer guaranteed at their hotel? I have read a bit more about the Chateau Bourbon - Wyndham Historic, and I'm a little worried to see some people mentioning getting rooms with sofa beds. Not rooms with a queen/king AND a sofa bed, but JUST a sofa bed, sometimes with a queen- or king-sized mattress on top of it. I cannot find anywhere on Wyndham's site as to what constitutes a standard room, yet all the rooms listed do not mention anything about a sofa-only bedroom. Based on the reviews, it seems like the people most likely to be shafted in this way are customers who've used discount sites (Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, etc.). Because I used a discount site, should I be resigned to the fact that I'll be getting lesser-than-normal treatment? I am hoping and expecting the best experience, but am also preparing for any negatives that might come our way. Please let me know what I should expect - and what I should request if I receive a room of lesser quality.

Thanks!

Laura Callaway

If you were to get a room with a sofa bed only (I don't know the situation at this hotel, but maybe this is some sort of Parlor Room?) I would request to see what else is available. I would think that these rooms would most likely come into use during busy periods - I would be surprised if they were put to use if regular rooms were available.

P

I'll add 2 cents worth.

Join the Wyndham By Request program and Wyndham Rewards programs. They are free to join.

They will provide your choice of complimentary beverage and a nice fresh fruit plate in the room upon check in.

The summer is the slow season. Once, I had a reservation for a basic room and they upgraded me to a suite for free without my even asking.

Remember there's a WHOLE lot more to NOLA than Bourbon Street.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok - I am new to this, but I am looking for this same deal. or similar at least. Do I open an entirely new post with my dates? When I click on the links, it just takes me to their main pages... and I'm not seeing the 3.5 star deal on HOTWIRE.

I'm going to apologize in advance if I have not followed the rules, alas, I am new to the whole thing.

jannster,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are date specific, so the deal that the OP (original poster) of this thread received may not be available for your dates. Please start a NEW TOPIC (click the NEW TOPIC button on the top right corner or bottom right corner of the board) for your own stay, and include the dates of your travel, and we'll try to help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]