Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy Help Please

Biscuits
By Biscuits,
in

Greetings -

I'm a Priceline rookie. Used it once or twice, randomly, the night before I needed a room, with good results. I've never, however, planned a vacation using PL, and I'd appreciate some help with a bidding strategy.

My wife and I are going to Hawaii either late this week or early next. We've decided on Kauai, but we're not totally locked in yet. We'd like to stay in a 4* hotel, preferably on the north shore. Dates are most likely 4/24-5/2. The max I'd like to pay would be $150, and of course, the less the better. We wouldn't mind staying in other areas of the island, but I'd prefer not to stay at the Marriot, which is in Lihue, and under construction. Mainly, because of the construction.

If anyone could help with a strategy, I'd appreciate it!

- Chris

Welcome to BetterBidding!

By "North Shore" i assume you're referring to the Princeville area... note that the highest rated hotels offered in this zone is 3.5* (so you won't be able to bid on a 4* hotel in this area); not sure if you're gameplan would be to take a 3.5* here OR a 4* elsewhere.

Please post once your date(s) are firm and you're ready to begin bidding so that we can look at current rates at that time and suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I do mean Princeville. We've settled on 4/24 - 4/30, and we've expanded our search to now include Lihue and Princeville. I'd prefer Princeville, but it looks like the Lihue area is cheaper. Now willing to settle on the Marriot if needs be. Doing our best to avoid the Sheraton in Poipu for fear of an across-the-road, black-mold garden room.

Tried bidding $80 - Lihue, failed. Added Princeville, $91, failed. Resorts only.

It looks like the Marriot is $99/nt on HOTWIRE, and I'm curious as to how long to wait before I should just book that. Wondering if any closer to the date would pay off.

Thanks thereuare!

...we've expanded our search to now include Lihue and Princeville. I'd prefer Princeville, but it looks like the Lihue area is cheaper.

Tried bidding $80 - Lihue, failed. Added Princeville, $91, failed. Resorts only.

After your failure at $91, do you now want to try higher (up to $99??) for a Resort class property or do you want to try a similar/lower price for a 3.5* in Princeville?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 8 months later...

Belated thanks for the bidding strategy, but we ended up staying at Kauai Beach Resort in Lihue, and paid $89/nt. Booked directly through hotel's site. They were running a buy 3 nights, get one free promo. Had a blast, and would highly recommend it as a central, affordable resort.

Thanks for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]