Priceline Hotel: HELP: Cambridge

JSB
By JSB,
in

Hello dear BetterBidding community,

I am looking for a stay of some 15 nights between January 2 and January 19, 2007 in Cambridge for my work at MIT and I see three possible hotels: the Hotel @ MIT, the Cambridge Marriott and its sister hotel, the Residence Inn (for longer stays).

Do you have any tips for me regarding Hotwire & Priceline ? I presume I can use Priceline, even though I am neither American or Canadian, with my Amex card ...

Would it be a good idea to contact the hotels directly, referring to recent Hotwire & Priceline wins ?

Kind regards,

JSB

Brussels

Please start NEW TOPICS for your own stay rather than reply to an already existing thread for a hotel that you'd like to receive.

There may be more 'possible' hotels than the three listed, those are only the hotels reported to the board, there could always be more hotels than we know about or a hotel recently added.

I would not contact the hotels directly as it's against their contract to extend a priceline/hotwire rate to a customer and they're not going to offer you an opaque rate for the benefit of you choosing their hotel... the deep discounts offered to the opaque suppliers is for those who are not looking to choose a specific property.

What is your budget? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you, Thereuare. Great to hear from you.

Splitting is an option, yet not really desirable, since I will be working on a book (with a lot of documentation).

Budget for the entire hotel stay is $1200 (including taxes). Since I would like to stay for 15 nights, I presume that a price of $75 plus taxes is what I'm looking for.

With regard to contacting the hotels directly, I was only wondering if hotels would be interested in lowering their prices for long term stays.

Let me commend you again on a wonderful site.

Kind regards,

JSB

Brussels

I just re-read your fist post:

I see three possible hotels: the Hotel @ MIT, the Cambridge Marriott and its sister hotel, the Residence Inn (for longer stays).
...and then looked at the hotel list. There are plenty more hotels in this zone than the three you've listed above... are you saying that these are the only three you would accept, or why would these be the only three possibilities?

What is the minimum star rating you're looking for?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for responding.

I would indeed accept more hotels, but these are closest to MIT, as I could identify them on your great map application.

Three or four stars are what I would be looking for. Among your 'recent wins' lists I saw that these hotels sometimes go for $60 to $80. Since I will be travelling in January, when prices are low, I was somewhat hoping that this would work, especially for a long term stay. Then, in your hotel lists, and reading other posts, I saw that the Hotel@MIT is the only 4-star in the neighbourhood. That's where I would start, then.

What do you think ?

Kind regards,

JSB

If you look at the Priceline Hotel List the Hotel@MIT is not the only 4* hotel reported in this zone. As well, even if it were, you need to read the comments at the top of the hotel list... the list(s) on the board should never be considered complete, as new hotels can be added at any time and hotels are upgraded/downgraded all the time.

Although the hotels you listed may be the best for your needs... that's not how the opaque game works. You must be able to accept a hotel anywhere in the shaded region which defines the boundary of the zone.

Usually a such an extended stay is more of a hinderance than a help, as explained in SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

So to move forward... are you able to accept a hotel anywhere within the boundaries as defined by the priceline zone?

Just to toss out a suggestion:

If you look on HOTWIRE for Cambridge for Jan 2-8, there is a 3.5* with fitness/pool/restaurant/business/hi-speed/tennis as amenities and a price of $61 (although the price you see may vary). This would be a possible match for the Hyatt Cambridge. If so, the Hyatt looks to be right near MIT.

The second half of the stay seems busier and more difficult. Hotwire only offers a 2.5* for $95 in Cambridge with the one amenity being free breakfast. Not sure which hotel this is.

The average of all of this would be about exactly the average you're looking for.

Also even cheaper for the second half (8-15) and a couple of miles from MIT is the historic 4* Omni Parker House in Boston ($89, Orbitz)

Thanks very much, Thereuare and AaronJB.

I'm indeed willing to accept a hotel anywhere in the zone. There's a good underground connection between Boston center and Cambridge, so the Omni Parker House might indeed be a good idea.

As for the Hyatt, I remember having read that the hotel is somewhat far from a metro stop. But it's a great price, indeed, so I'll look into it again.

Let me just add that www.betterbidding.com definitely is what the internet is about. It's a great tool, connecting great people.

Kind regards,

JSB

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]