Hotwire Hotel: 3.5 * NYC Downtown Brooklyn area boutique hotel

Larry151
By Larry151,
in

Hi, Hotwire shows a 3.5 star "Boutique hotel" with "pet friendly, boutique, business center and restaurant(s)" for New York city, downtown Brooklyn. Dates are 7/31/16 to 8/3/16, at $177 night. It also says that the last bidder got the "Dazzler Hotel" additionally your site indicated the "NU hotel" as a winner. However I requested two queen beds as my choice on the hotwire room choice and the page shows this (two queen beds) as being guaranteed.  I checked with both the NU and Dazzler hotels and neither offer two queen beds as an option. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Welcome back! :smile:

1 hour ago, Larry151 said:

your site indicated the "NU hotel" as a winner

The amenity set you listed above doesn't match previous reports for the Nu Hotel so that wouldn't necessarily be out guess for this one... you need to match up the amenities, not just the star rating! (in face i don't thin this is likely either of the two hotels you mentioned)

Before we pursue this one further a few questions:

1) I'm seeing a 3.5* hotel with the amenities above listed for your dates but at $147/nite, not the $177 you listed... are you searching for more than one room or something other than the default 2adults/0children?

2) are you familiar with this area and/or have reason to stay in Brooklyn OR are you looking for a less expensive alternative to staying in Manhattan and plan on commuting in each day?

3) what is your maximum budget (per nite before fees/taxes) for this trip

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, Thanks so much for your help!  In response to your questions;

1) I'm seeing a 3.5* hotel with the amenities above listed for your dates but at $147/nite, not the $177 you listed... are you searching for more than one room or something other than the default 2adults/0children? Yes my wife and I are traveling with two adult children (four adults one room) and therefore am looking for two queen beds. (Sometimes Hotwire seems to give a pull down menu for room preference and two queens are really what we need. I saved a screen shot of this hotel details with the room option on Hotwire but don't see how I can upload for you.

2) are you familiar with this area and/or have reason to stay in Brooklyn OR are you looking for a less expensive alternative to staying in Manhattan and plan on commuting in each day? You got it. Looking for access to NY city attractions with more affordable hotel near public transportation (subways). Also my friends (who formerly lived there) know lots of good local restaurants etc in Brooklyn. I'm not set on Brooklyn though just nice hotel with access to NY attractions.

3) what is your maximum budget (per nite before fees/taxes) for this trip? I'm hoping for 3-4 star for under $200 or $225 a night.

I don't see any need to stay in Brooklyn for what you want to accomplish...

For basically the same $177/nite as the Brooklyn hotel above you could stay in Manhattan and be much more centrally located and not have to commute into the city each day (and also makes returning to your hotel during the day much easier to drop off bags, rest or clean up before dinner, etc)

For example, i'm seeing (for 4 adults) what appears to be the Flatiron Hotel for $191/nite (yes, $14 more than the one above, but it's higher rated and if you factor in your RT subway far for 4 people you're looking at a few dollars less and you're more conveniently already in Manhattan at the start of your day).  If you are willing to go up as high as $225/nite you have other options, but i at least wanted to show you something that was close to the price of the hotel above as 'proof of concept' that Brooklyn may not be the best option for this trip... it is a great option (as are a few other locations) when there is significant savings to be had by staying outside of the city, but the savings in this instance (which i'm not sure there are any) just doesn't make it worthwhile.

If you want to head to Brooklyn for dinner one nite of your trip by all means do so, but i would plan on eating your meals in Manhattan which is still where the 'action' is... everyday there are LOTS of Brooklyn-ites who head to Manhattan for dinner, but a much, much, much fewer Manhattan-ites who go to Brooklyn for dinner.:wink:

Let us know if you agree with the above and want to start to set your sights on staying in Manhattan, and if so, your thoughts on the Flatiron hotel and/or taking that vs. increasing you budget up to $225/nite.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If 2 Queens is a need (vs. a want) it becomes a bit more difficult as most Manhattan hotel rooms with two beds are more likely going to be two doubles due to the smaller room sizes.  I did just go thru all of the HOTWIRE offers that i thought looked interesting (as well as PRICELINE EXPRESS) to see if there was anything that offered two queens and indeed i came up empty... all rooms that offered 2 beds either didn't clarify bed size or indicated 2 doubles.

The Flatiron hotel does have rooms with two Queen beds, but they cost about $35 more per nite than rooms with 2 Doubles, and are not currently offered as one of the selection choices on HOTWIRE.  If you did book the HOTWIRE offer and received the Flatiron you could then call the hotel and see if they would be willing to upgrade you to a room with 2 Queens (first just by asking, then if they say no, you could offer "I see the different in room rate between the two rooms types is about $35/nite... for $25/nite paid now (or whatever amount you're comfortable with) could you secure me a room with 2 Queen beds so that i can ensure my family's comfort during this trip... we have saved up a long time and are really looking forward to seeing your city").  Keep in mind that there is a chance that the hotel may not be willing to upgrade your room regardless of how much you're wiling to pay, so you would have to be 'OK' with 2 doubles and then 'hope for the best' to do better from there.

Not sure your thoughts on 2 Double Beds in Manhattan vs. staying in Brooklyn with 2 Queens.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

PS- one last idea... HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the Rock Center zone for $117/nite (with a Queen bed choice) when searching for 2adults/0children... 2 rooms at this rate is only a little more than your max budget, but you get quite a bit more space with two rooms, as well as two bathrooms which can speed things up quite a bit when getting ready in the morning and/or our for the evening).  I would need to investigate further but currently my guess is that this offer is the W New York.

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you search using the EASY VIEW TAB of our BiddingHelper.com tool.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 3.5 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Pool

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

--> if this is what you're seeing best guess for this one would be the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side

(you can confirm the amenities using the EASY VIEW TAB from BiddingHelper.com, but this link won't give you the bed choice option, so you can then switch to the HOTWIRE tab and compete your purchase using the same offer there, confirming that everything is the same (TA rating, user views for each criteria HOTWIRE asks previous users to rate, etc)

As far as this location, it's a bit far north and a bit far east for the typical tourist.

You can see the location HERE and on this map also see the two nearest subway stations on Lexington Ave (at 86th St and 96th St).  Not only being along walk (about 10-15 minutes) only the green subway line (4-5-6 trains) runs along the upper east side... this line is convenient when you want to go somewhere on the east side, but anytime you want to head further west (Times Square, Chelsea, MSG, etc) it will require a subway transfer.

You options are somewhat limited since you require 2 Queen beds, and i don't know what will appear in the future, but personally if it were me i would roll the dice a little longer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]