Hotwire Hotel: Help ID 3* MSG-HK June 14-21

13Logan
By 13Logan,
in

For one person on the dates above, I get a 3* for USD160 a night.

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Self-Service Laundry

Kitchenette

I have no experience with NYC at all, but it seems it could be the Candlewood even though the star rating does not match the hotel list. Am I right? If not, which hotel might it be?

Also, the price seems a good deal for this time of the year and my dates, even though it's "only" a 3*. Am I right?

Thanks

With a 45% recommendation rating from previous HOTWIRE guests i would look elsewhere, as i don't think that price is that great compared to other offers for this stay, such as:

3* ESB $168/nite (85% recommendation / 4.0 TA rating) (possibly the Murray Hill East Suites??)

4* ESB $187/nite (85% recommendation / 4.0 TA rating) (my guess for this one would be the St. Giles The Court, with a secondary guess of the Carlton on Madison Avenue)

Since this an extended stay, for any of these properties you could see if the same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this stay or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If I take into account the recommendation and TA ratings and similar prices, I also get:

UWS at 167 - free Internet, smoke free, fitness center, business center.

But looking at the hotel list, I cannot identify that hotel.

I don't see the 4* ESB you mention (must be gone) but there'one at the same price (187) in UES - pet friendly, boutique, fitness, restaurant, business, self laundry, internet.

Could that be the Bentley? If yes, I cannot find a review on the board.

In general, is ESB better than the upper sides?

I am trying to limit my total cost (including fees) to around $200/night and be fairly certain of the hotel I'm getting before I booked, though I understand there's always a risk.

Now I get:

3* 85% recommended 4/5 TA

Suite

Fitness

Business

Self laundry

Internet

Kitchenette

Which hotel do you think it is?

Thanks

Looking at the Priceline side, I saw mentioned that it was slower around the 4th of July (I thought prices would only go up with summer). So I change my dates from June 28 to July 5, and prices are lower.

Since the prices are so similar, I think I would rather go with a 4* but perhaps a 3* would be better given the location (I don’t know enough about NY though I don’t mind being anywhere in Manhattan). Can you help me identify and/or advise on the following (or just the ones you think worthy)? Should the fact that reviews are being gathered for one of them eliminate it?

3* MTE
141/night – 90% rec, TA 4/5
Internet, pet, smoke free, fitness, restaurant, business, self laundry, access for blind

3* EV-LES
142/night – 70% rec, TA 4/5
Internet

4* ESB
145/night – gathering reviews
Restaurant, business, self laundry, internet

3.5* ESB
146/night – 80% rec, TA 4/5
Internet, boutique, fitness, business, self laundry

4* FD/ Wall street
150/nigh – 90% rec, TA 4/5
Internet, smoke free, fitness, restaurant, business, self laundry, in-room/wheelchair access

Thanks

For some/many/most of the properties above, I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If I go by the price for each above, following the procedure you suggest, I get:

3* MTE - Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

3* EV-LES - Free Internet, Internet access

4* ESB - Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

3.5* ESB - Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Fitness Center, Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

The FD one didn’t show up.

Best guess/comments for each:

3* MTE

-> i'm not certain, but my guess would be The Roger Smith

3* EV-LES

--> difficult to have too much confidence with only these amenities, but the The GEM Hotel SoHo looks like a good possibility and that would be my guess here

4* ESB

--> is there also a Boutique amenity showing?

3.5* ESB

--> is the Boutique amenity still showing as i'm not seeing this when doing my own HOTWIRE search for your dates

As i'm quite familiar with NYC, what is the purpose of this trip and your maximum budget, i will try to look at the offers to choose what might offer the best bang for your buck for your needs.

Thank you.

It seems the amenities change sometimes with various searches. I've indicated all (and only) the amenities I've seen for each search method.

I'm quite curious about the FD hotel as it gets 90% recommendation, though it did not show with the easy view.

As I indicated previously, I would like to limit the total price (with fee/taxes) to $200. In fact, if I can approach CAD$200, that would be even better, a limit which the hotels I listed would satisfy I think.

I'm going to visit the city.

Thanks

If a hotel does not appear in the BiddingHelper.com EASY VIEW you can do the following to see the complete set of amenities:

search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
However, i'm not currently seeing a 4* hotel in this zone either thru the 'standard' search nor thru the BiddingHelper.com

The Financial-Wall St zone is not as central of a location as the midtown zones and would need to offer something (a discount price, much better user reviews, TA rating, etc) vs. the other offers to make it worthwhile, imo.

Curretnly i think your best deal would be the 4* ESB hotel for $166/nite with a 4.0/5.0 TA rating:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

... my guess would be the St. Giles the Court. Why not this one?

Currently, this ESB hotel at $166 does not show up (nothing with a price close to that amount either). In any case, it's about $200 more than some hotels I listed.

There are few cheaper 4*, at least four of which are in ESB/MTC/MTE/Chelsea.

Thank you for your help.

On the Murray Hill website, it shows no availability for my dates, so it must be another hotel.

Occasionally, hotels do appear as wins while showing no availability on the hotel website.

In terms of the ESB 4*, I'm also seeing it for $168. Are you searching for more than 2 adults?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Are your dates still flexible by a day or two? For example, searching 6/29-7/7 there is a 4* in the MSG zone for $143/nite, believed to be the TRYP Times Square South, which has an impressive 4.5/5.0 TA rating.

I decided to cancel my trip for now. I think I need to understand better the various areas of the city before I can weigh hotel prices against other factors I may consider important (or decide if the price should be my main concern within a given star level).

Thank you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]