Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Element New York Times Square West

nachoargentina
By nachoargentina,
in

Hi guys! I'll be in New York from Apr. 3rd to Apr. 8.

It's my first time visiting the city, (I'm flying from Argentina) and I'm trying to get the best available rate.

I'm actually looking for a 3.5 or above Hotel anywhere in Manhattan.

I've been trying for some time (maybe a month) with bids that go from 90 to 106 dollars. I haven't had any luck yet. I know I'm bidding early and that I had time to keep trying, but my first question is: Do you think that it's even possible, for those dates and that area, that I would be able to get an 3.5 or above hotel for that price? or am I aiming waaaaay too low? I know there's not certain way you can tell me that, but your opinions will be appreciated.

Second question would be...I'm seeing in Hotwire there's an Hotel in the Empire State area for 136/night for the dates I'm travelling. Do you think it's a good price? Should I go with that or wait a bit more? should I bid a little lower than that for 3* hotels in the same area using Priceline?

Again, I know this is not exact science, just opinions, but since I have no experience whatsoever in New York bidding, rates, etc, I could use your advice.

Thanks for the help and for this page! I always use the Priceline and HOTWIRE link ;).

Welcome to Betterbidding.

You're in sort of an "in-between" time period where you're not going to see the lowest rates of the year (Jan/Feb) but not the rates of the busier season (late April into May/June.)

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to get a hotel for around $100 for these date/s. For 3.5* and above you are looking more towards the $135-145 area +/-, depending on zone. Are you seeing a 3.5/4* for $136 in the ESB area?

Also, I'd try to stay in Midtown West, Midtown East, Empire State, Chelsea/MSG if at all possible. I wouldn't stay downtown or in Central Park (Upper West/Upper East sides.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches..

Hi Aaron, thanks for your reply! Really helpful stuff.

Yes, I'm actually seeing a price of 131/night in Hotwire for a 3* (not 3.5) in the Empire State area. Since it says it's pet friendly and based on the Hotel List, I would venture to say it's The Mave hotel.

Is that actually a good deal considering it's a 3*? or you think I could get a 3.5* bidding that rate in PRICELINE? Is there really a big difference between 3, 3.5 and 4 * hotels?

Thanks again for your opinion!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm actually ok with any area as long as it is within Manhattan.

I make my bids for all this areas:

- Central Park South

- Chelsea Area

- Downtown - Financial Distric

- Empire State Building Area

- Hell's Kitchen

- Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

- Midtown East

- Midtown West

- SoHo - Tribeca

- Times Square - Theatre District

- Upper East Side

- Upper West Side

Any tips or suggestios are always appretiated!

There can be quite a different between 3*, 3.5*, and 4* hotels in NYC, but there can also be a lot of variability even within the same star rating... there may be some 3.5* that users would prefer to some of the 4* hotels (and similar examples can exist at the 3*/3.5* levels)

If bidding 3.5* and below i would suggest NOT bidding UWS and UES unless you have reason to be in this zone and/or you know the area well enough to know that it will be convenient for your needs OR if that is all your budget allows... as both of these zones can go fairly far North and aren't necessarily the most convenient for the average visitor to the city.

Please let us know if you'd like to include these two zones or not, and confirm your maximum bid and desired star rating, and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare!

Thank you for your answer. I didn't realize that UWS or UES would be a little too far north for the average visitor. That's a great piece of advice you gave me right there.

I can take both of them out. I will be in the city just for tourism so I want to be as close to the "tourist" part of town as possible.

My ideal scenario would be to be able to get at least a 3.5 * hotel in a "tourist" area (the ones I listed minus UES and UWS as you recommended), for around 100-106 per night.

Of course, ideal is not always realistic and that's why I'm asking for advice :). I think the higher I can go would be 130.

What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help!

Now that i know your needs for this trip a bit more, i have two more questions...

1) in the CPS zone is the Hudson hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms... this may or may not be a factor for you, but given your trip is 5 nites in length, please confirm that you would be OK with a very small room for a 5 nite stay

2) 'Downtown' has some touristy things but it is often a little less in cost than midtown (which is a bit more centrally located)... downtown is certainly do-able for the right price, but not sure what is more important to you for this trip, budget vs. location? Do you want to include this zone from the onset and win there if it is the least expensive of all your zones OR do you want to not include it in your bidding, but if $130 fails, try again while including this zone up to $130 as well?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi again!

Small rooms are not a huge concer with us, but we are also travelling with another couple, and they have an infant with them (less than 2 years old), so that could prove a problem if they can't fit a pack'n play or something similar. If you think the Hudson rooms would acomodate 2 adults + 1 infant, that would be ok with us.

Now, if you were to ask me, I would choose budget over location...but not so far. I mean, from my understanding, it's fairly easy to move around on subway and we are young couples who don't mind walking all day. That being said, I have no idea of how big distances are in NYC, but my guess is that anywhere in the areas I previously listed (minus UES and UWS, as per your recomendation) would work for us. So I would choose "include this zone from the onset and win there if it is the least expensive of all your zones".

Please feel free to tell me what you think. Thanks again for all your help!

You can see a video tour of an average room at the Hudson on Youtube

I walked during one stay from about Times Square down one side through Washington Square Park and down to Battery Park, then up and around the other side, past Chinatown, Empire State Building, Grand Central and onto Central Park, then back down into Times Square where I started. I figure that was about 16 miles. It's around 6.5 miles from Times Square to Battery Park. Subway and public transit is definitely quite useful, but I do think it's best to stay central (or at least Empire State area, Chelsea, MSG), if possible within budget.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

It is fairly easy to get around NYC via mass transit. From Downtown to Midtown via subway is about 20 minutes (+/- given the length of wait for the train).

With an infant it would certainly be more convenient to be in midtown (assuming most of your time will be spent in this area) as it becomes easier to stop at the hotel for a quick rest, freshen up, get more diapers, freshen up, etc... but ultimately it may come down to if your budget will allow it. As noted earlier Downtown is still good, it's just that midtown is better (imo).

The Hudson hotel would not likely be able to accommodate a pak n play.

What star rating is it that you're trying for first? What about CPS, should we be including this zone or not? (due to the small rooms at the Hudson)?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow... and please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links before replying.

Thanks.

Hi. I have the same problem with you. I plan to visit New York on 6-9 April. Initially, I bid for 3.5* on 6 April at $100, and I just got the Courtyard Marriott at Herald Square. Once I got that , I try to extend my stay for another night and cannot get it.

Since yesterday, I tried to bid for 7-9 April (2 nights) in Empire State, Madison Square, and Chelsea area by putting the bidding price up to $155 for 3* but no luck yet. Do you think I'll get the one lower than $200 in this area? In addition, I tried to look for the Courtyard Marriott website and found out that the price on Monday-Tuesday (7-9 April) are much higher than the one on Sunday (6-7 April). Do you know the reason why? I don't want to change the hotel too often so I'd like to find somewhere near Herald Square. There were one hotel with express deal in Madison Square Garden Convention Area at $177 so I'm quite curious why my $155 could not get it.

Thank you so much.

Hi again!

I would say to try to get a 4* first and if we get no success, go for a 3.5*.

About CPS, I'm not sure how many stars the Hudson has (4*? 3.5*?). I would say leave that zone out when bidding at the star level that hotel is in. We thought about it and while wonderfully located, the rooms seems to small for our friends and their infant daughter.

How is that this other guy got a 3.5* room for 100 bucks? Lucky him!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll be waiting for your answer!

Oh, and I click the links each time I get in here :).

How is that this other guy got a 3.5* room for 100 bucks? Lucky him!
I'm not sure which specific win you are referring to, but Jan/Feb is low season in NYC and it's not uncommon to see rates around the $100 mark, as it's also not uncommon for solo Sunday nite stays as that is the slowest nite of the week for hotels (especially in NYC) so hotels are a bit more willing to offer deeper discounts in order to fill empty rooms.
I would say to try to get a 4* first and if we get no success, go for a 3.5*.
Your budget may be tough for this time of year for a 3.5* or better hotel, but we can start with 4* and if rejected try 3.5*, and take it from there.

First, to confirm, you are looking for a 4* hotel with a maximum bid of $130 in any of the following zones:

- Chelsea Area

- Empire State Building Area

- Hell's Kitchen

- Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

- Midtown East

- Midtown West

- SoHo - Tribeca

- Times Square - Theatre District

If this is correct, you can bid as follows...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, Soho, MSG...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, HK, TS...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, TS...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, Soho, MSG...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, HK, MSG...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, Soho, TS...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTW, Soho, MSG...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, ESB, HK, TS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Soho, TS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Soho, TS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTW...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Unfortunately i do think the above will be too low, but hopefully you can prove me wrong.

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're new to the topic)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

... and you don't want to include CPS in your 3.5* bidding either as the star rating you select is the minimum that you are willing to accept, and your 3.5* bid could always be upgraded to a higher rated hotel.

Awesome guys!

I've been trying but no luck yet.

However, I just checked in Hotwire for the dates I'll be in NYC (Apr. 3 to Apr. 8) and something interesting came up:

$128/night for a 3.5* in Times Square/Hells Kitchen area. What do you think? Should I go for it?

The amenities it list are:

- Free Breakfast

- Free Internet

- Self Laudry

- Pet Friendly

- Fitness Center

- Business Center

- Accessible for the blind, deaf and in-room accessibility

For what it says, it looks like it could be the Element or Staybridge suites, do you agree?

If so, I think it's a good price/zone.

Would you recommend that I bid in Priceline or that I shouldn't let this Hotwire offer slip?

nachoargentina

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post. HOTWIRE has a new interface which is not currently showing the complete set of amenities at the usual point of the search process.

Please run a new search using our BiddingHelper.com tool at the top of this page. Once the search is completed, use the EASY VIEW TAB and click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing to view the complete set of amenities. Then copy and paste the amenities in a reply to this thread and we will then have a look at this offer.

Thanx for using boards HOTWIRE links

Yellowdog.

Hi again! I didn't know of this BiddingHelper.com tool, it's great!

So, I did what you said, here's the full list of amenities:

Free Breakfast,

Free Internet,

Pet friendly,

Fitness Center,

Business Center,

Self service laundry,

Accessible for the blind,

Accessible for the deaf,

In-room accessibility,

Wheelchair accessible,

Accessible bathroom,

Roll-in shower

The price is now 130...it looks like it jumps up and down each time I search.

What does this look like? Thanks!

nachoargentina

Best guess for the HOTWIRE hotel would be Element Times Square West.

For the PRICELINE EXPRESS would I say the same but I would like to add Staybridge Suites as a possibility.

I can't advise if you should take a chance and bid on PRICELINE here. I would wait on thereuare or AaronJB to answer this

Good luck!

Yellowdog.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]