Priceline Hotel: 4* Houston (Galleria) Hilton Post Oak

nctraveler
By nctraveler,
in

I'm brand new to Priceline and could use some help. I'll post the specifics of my stay - then read all the tips and posts while I await a response...

Houston - Medical Center (near Rice University)

1 night, 1 person

Friday, August 19

Don't need anything fancy - we've stayed at both the Best Western and the Holiday Inn there on Main Street. This is just a quick "drop the kid at college" trip. The Rice rates aren't too bad, but I'd like to use this as a test, or learning experience, for future trips.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

So are you willing to bid both zones? (preference for either?)

Let us know what you maximum bid is and we'll advise accordingly. Unless you tell us otherwise, the strategy we suggest will first try for a 3* property and then if rejected will try for a 2.5* level.

Let us know regarding the bid amount and zone and we'll provide a strategy.

PS- you'll also need to understand re-bidding, so if you're not familiar with it, please read RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED (if it's overwhelming at first don't be alarmed, we'll walk you thru whatever is confusing to you)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes - I'm willing to bid both zones. This is for my husband - so he's not really particular about a fancy hotel, but doesn't want to be too far away from Rice. I want to go this way just to learn the process.

What I don't know is what to start the bid at. Price info I do have is the "preferred Rice rate" at the Best Western (Med Ctr Area) is $69, and the Hampton Inn Gallaria area has an internet price of $62.10. The Holiday Inn Med Ctr is $75.

I just read the re-bid posts and went to Priceline to check the 2 zones. Gallaria has 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 stars, but Med center only goes as high as 3.

Thanks for the quick responses!

A few things before you're able to bid (you said this was in order to learn :) )....

1) With re-bidding, you're concerned about finding other zones that only contain star levels lower than the star level you're bidding. So when bidding 3* you want to see if there are other zones that only have star ratings 2.5* or lower, and when bidding 2* you want to see if there are other zones which only have star ratings 2* or lower (HINT: at the 3* level you have six re-bid zones available, as the 2.5* level you have three re-bid zones available... you may want to confirm them with the board)

2) Is price most important that you would just want to try for a 2.5*? (i think the price difference may only be $10 or so)

I know you're looking for "what to start the bid at", but we do things a bit more strategically than that (as you will see) so that you can start low and gradually increase your price.

Let us know regarding the two points above and we'll provide a step-by-step strategy for your to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

ok - I'm trying to understand it all...

I checked priceline and found a Conroe zone that just had 1 and 2 star options - but it is WAY FAR out and I wouldn't want to be there at any price (a little nervous here)

Price is not the biggest factor (remember I'd really be willing to pay the standard Rice rate if I didn't want to learn how this works), but then it's always fun to think you got a great deal!

In order of preference: Med Center is the preferred location, but if you can get a "higher quality" motel in Galleria for the same cost that would be fine too.

One last thing...is there any way to make sure you don't save $ on a hotel price, then end up at a site that charges more than that for parking? (I checked most of the hotels you have listed and some charge for parking and some do not)

I've been reading stuff off and on all day to learn more. Now I understand using the zone you don't want just to get another bid. You're just sure if you check priceline immediately before you bid it won't backfire?

See if I got this right...

start with 4 * Galleria lowest price

add Med Ctr then other zone to be able to raise the price

drop to 3* just Med Ctr - lower price?

add Galleria and raise price

drop to 2.5 * same process...

This might be fun.

Exactly... and that is the idea behind re-bidding.

Is that a strategy you are comfortable employing? If so, are you able to figure out your re-bid zones (six at the 3* level, three at the 2.5* level)? If you're not comfortable using re-bid zones we'll suggest a strategy within your comfort level.

This is how i would proceed....

Select 3* Galleria...

Bid $35, if rejected add Med Center...

Bid $37, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $52.

I didn't see any reason to break up the bidding between the Galleria and Med Center zones since i believe you'll likely be successful with the above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Decided to try 2 low bids at a 4* before I went to a 3* that I expected to get.

first bid of $43 4* Galleria -->rejected

added Med Ctr zone and bid $46 -->accepted

Your Offer Price: $46.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $46.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$15.10

Total Charges: $61.10

Check in 8/19/05

check out 8/20/05

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]