Priceline Hotel: bidding help needed from 8/31 to 9/3

tamatem
By tamatem,
in

My desired budget would be $150, preferably under if possible. Is that unreasonable?

It's not unreasonable, but it may also not be enough, as i'm guessing at the moment you're more likely looking at $165-$185 for these dates. If you'd prefer to start with a $150 limit, did you first want to try up to your limit in the NMA-River North zone OR is your goal the least expensive between this zone and the Loop?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Either or really.

I would prefer Millenium Park area as I will be heading out from the W Hotel and don't wish to shlep my stuff endlessly (without a car). I guess if my bid is higher

I'd have a better chance to get two nights at the same hotel.

To clarify, my limit is about 150 per night preferably less, but really it is a question of best value for the money. I'd prefer not to stay in a hovel if I don't have to.

Also, how is it that Last Minute Travel is able to offer substantially lower prices for these dates? And have you considered adding LMT to the winning bids you cover here?

Either or really.

I would prefer Millenium Park area as I will be heading out from the W Hotel and don't wish to shlep my stuff endlessly (without a car). I guess if my bid is higher I'd have a better chance to get two nights at the same hotel.

To clarify, my limit is about 150 per night preferably less, but really it is a question of best value for the money. I'd prefer not to stay in a hovel if I don't have to.

I did find several hidden hotels on LMT in my desired areas and within my price range, and cheaper than PRICELINE and HOTWIRE. However, I am not quite clear on how LMT defines their areas and the properties they deal with. I am comfortable with PRICELINE and HOTWIRE so far. All I need now is a hotel for one night 9/1, so I'll just carry on and hope for the best. Aaron gave me some great advice re rewards, so let's see how that goes.

The issue with LMT is that their rates may be "on request", meaning that it's unknown whether they can actually get that rate for those dates (often on busy dates they may not be able to.)

Happy to help! Please let us know if you have any questions at all regarding bidding on 9/1.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Can you please confirm:

1) Are you bidding 9/1-9/3 OR only the nite of 9/1?

2) You want to first bid up to your limit in the Loop zone before trying the NMA-River North zone (and prefer the Loop zone and are willing to pay a little more for it vs. a cheaper hotel in the NMA zone)?

3) 4* minimum at the moment

Please confirm the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Loop preferred but NMA ok.

This doesn't tell us if you're willing to pay more for the Loop vs. the NMA zone and only want to try for the NMA zone if/when your Loop bids fail, OR if the goal is the least expensive of the two.

4 or 3 1/2 ok.

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this leg of your trip?

What do you want to try for first:

4* Loop

3.5* Loop

4* Loop or NMA

3.5* Loop or NMA

My goal is the least expensive of the two, either 4 or 3 1/2, preferably in the Loop to facilitate moving my luggage, but NMA ok too.

I had been attempting my bidding with 4 Loop, then 3 1/2 Loop, then adding NMA. Perhaps I might consider closing windows in between to refresh rather than just adding criteria.

I prefer to attempt 4* Loop then 3.5* Loop and follow the order of what you have listed below.

If I bid this way, do you suggest closing the window btwn bids? And if so, does each PRICELINE link listed here on betterbidding take me to the same window to restart or do I need to use different links here to restart bidding?

My goal is the least expensive of the two... preferably in the Loop to facilitate moving my luggage, but NMA ok too.

You need to decide which is more important: the least expensive zone of the two OR being in the Loop to facilitate moving your luggage. If the least expensive in either zone is your preference, then your preference of staying in the Loop zone is a moot point and only confused your preference(s).

I think this is your preference:

4* Loop up to $150

3.5* Loop up to $150

4* NMA up to $150

3.5* Loop up to $150

Is this now correct?

Unfortunately, 9/1 remains a very difficult night in terms of high rates and general availability. You noted in your other thread that you bid up to $200 and were having an issue with bonus money - did you get a response to that issue from PRICELINE?

Additionally, what would be your desired absolute max for this date?

If bidding is not working, I could also offer some alternative ideas to consider - these aren't places that I've stayed so I do not have any experience with them, but high-end apartments or downtown private clubs that have rooms that they rent (or have rented very short-term) in the past. No guarantees that they may not also be charging high rates or be full, but other options to consider.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you, Aaron. I understand that things have booked up or are booking up very quickly and prices are continuing to rise.

I have not heard from Priceline re my bonus $. I bid w it. My bid was rejected. Then I bid again and priceline told me that my bonus money had already been used so it' is not longer valid. I will pursue this further w priceline as I am travelling again later in the year, but right now my mail concern is finding somewhere to stay for 9/1 in Chicago.

I can scream at priceline later before the next trip.

Absolute absolute max is $250 and that is stretching it.

Other ideas would be most welcome, Aaron. Thank you again.

Other ideas (again, I have not stayed in these places - although I have been in the Standard Club) if nothing can be had for these dates. These are high-end apartments or clubs that have offered rooms for rent on various services in the past at times. No way of knowing if they will have availability. When calling MDA, you may want to ask if any other Village Green properties downtown may be able to help.)

Apartments:

MDA Apartments

http://www.villagegreen.com/chicago/mda-city-apartments/

Fisher Building

http://www.villagegreen.com/chicago/fisher-building-city-apartments

Columbus Plaza

http://www.columbusplaza.com/

Eugene Terrace

http://www.villagegreen.com/chicago/eugenie-terrace/

Presidential Towers

http://www.presidentialtowersapts.com/

Dewitt Place

1-866-279-5332 (number taken from Expedia)

Clubs:

Buckingham Athletic Club

http://www.bac-chicago.com/

Standard Club

https://www.stclub.org/web/guest/northstar;jsessionid=A2104F7268F2C08335D09DBDDF42B483

Information on each website.

I'm sorry that this date has been so problematic getting a hotel. My hope was that some last-minute inventory would come online, but unfortunately, what inventory has come online still remains highly expensive.

In terms of a 4*, I think it's still likely going to take over $200, and you may have to try starting at $225 and working higher by $5's in both downtown zones.

Above your budget (unfortunately) is the JW Marriott, which is showing at $299 for your dates on Expedia - that is actually the only thing downtown showing as available. You could try calling and seeing if they will come down closer to your $250 max - that's supposed to be an extremely nice property; it just opened earlier this year and was a major renovation. The JW Marriott, which is a 4.5* on Expedia, has not been seen as a win (yet) on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE.

The other option is under budget, but not the nicest option:

A 3* appeared today for 9/1 on HOTWIRE for $168 in the Chicago-Loop-Millennium Park area on HOTWIRE

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

It only has a 50% approval rating and a 3/5 on tripadvisor; my guess is that it's either the Travelodge Downtown or Congress, and more likely the Congress. If the Congress, that is an EXTREMELY historic property that is independently owned and has not been taken of entirely well, although reviews actually seem to be improving on tripadvisor - there was picketing in front of the hotel for 9 years; I'm not sure if it's still going on as the website about it looks like it's been taken down. The hotel was built in 1893 for the World's Fair.

You could try bidding $135-140 at the 2.5* level (the Congress is a 2.5* on PRICELINE, my guess is it's a 3* on HOTWIRE) to see if the hotel could be had for any cheaper on PRICELINE or if there were any hotels at that star rating that would accept.d

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]