Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Downtown - SoHo) World Center Hotel

LWQuestie
By LWQuestie,
in

Bidding for two rooms 9/6-9/7. Heading to a cruise, so looking for something in the general area of the Manhattan Cruise Port.

Tried Times Square 3.5* up to $158 today with no luck.

I think I'm fairly open to anything south of Central Park. I want to be able to get to the Doughnut Plant easily!

I always use the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start my purchases and searches!
You should, too!

Based upon current rates my guess is that you're likely looking at ~$175-$195 for a 4* hotel Downtown and perhaps $200+ for a 3.5* or better in Midtown.

We will of course start lower, but please confirm which you'd like to try for first and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice. I've tried (and failed) up to $190 for 3.5* in Hell's Kitchen, Times Square and Midtown West. I think I'll try Madison Square, Chelsea and Midtown East next. I'll consider Central Park South, with the understanding of that Hudson Hotel with the tiny rooms.

You should, too!

I'll consider Central Park South, with the understanding of that Hudson Hotel with the tiny rooms.

... and your OK to include MTE in this next round of bidding, given that some of the 3.5* and under properties can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

... and your OK to include MTE in this next round of bidding, given that some of the 3.5* and under properties can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Good point. Perhaps not. I'll skip that one.

I've been using the 6 free rebid zones on each individual zone and then will combine to increase. Does that sound like the correct scheme to follow?

You should, too!

NYC hotels anywhere near bryant park will most likely be priced fairly high from 9/6-9/13 due to NYFW. Just a tip, try checking local events for your destination once you establish tentative dates. Its best to avoid travel during events, unless attending them, because the hospitality industry capitalizes on these things.

Happy travels!

With this being Fashion Week, and the US Open, makes a win a bit more difficult.

Using your SIX re-bid zones i would try as follows:

Select 3.5* MSG and Chelsea and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* HK and TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG and Chelsea and MTW and TS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG and Chelsea and MTW and HK...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* HK, TS, MTW, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

NYC hotels anywhere near bryant park will most likely be priced fairly high from 9/6-9/13 due to NYFW. Just a tip, try checking local events for your destination once you establish tentative dates. Its best to avoid travel during events, unless attending them, because the hospitality industry capitalizes on these things.

Happy travels!

Thanks for your incredibly helpful advice.

I'm aware that local events can have an impact on hotel prices. That's why I use this site as a gauge to see what other travelers are experiencing.

This is just a layover night before a cruise, so the options are various. I'd just rather stay mid-town.

You should, too!

Thanks! I followed the directions and no luck yet. I guess I'll keep trying, but bump up the starting big $5 each time. I have plenty of time to keep bidding.

How do you decide which zones to combine in the two bidding tracks before combining at the end?

I noticed some 4* results on Hotwire - $259-277. And if all else fails, I'll just book something by the airport. It's not super important that we stay on the island. Just thought it would be fun.

You should, too!

And if all else fails, I'll just book something by the airport.

I wouldn't do that... there is nothing around JFK and the hotels there generally get poor reviews and aren't that cheap considering the quality and location.

I would sooner:

1) book something downtown which is within your budget

2) what appears to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor (Weehawken NJ) is available for $105/nite. Price is right and you can get to NYC for the day of your arrival via bus... the downside to this is that getting from JFK to Weehawken is a schlep! (can be made more or less difficult depending upon how inexpensively you want to do it... with 4 people it won't be terrible depending upon how much luggage you have). Now for the cool kicker... by the hotel is a ferry that goes to 39th St on the West side, so it would be very cool to walk out of the hotel, take a ferry to the cruise ship! Once on the Manhattan side it's about 17 blocks to the cruise pier, so this is only feasible if everybody can walk/roll their own luggage and it's not too hot. (other options is taking bus to Port Authority then cab to cruise terminal... or just take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal)

Anyway, these are some viable/affordable options and better than the airport, imo.

I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and help. I don't think a 17 block walk with luggage would be a great idea (the party includes two women in their mid-to-late 70s, a blind woman in her late 50s, plus dog and all the luggage). But a taxi would work.

I've also discovered that a family member works for Hyatt, so I've asked to see if some kind of family/friends discount is available.

You should, too!

Taxi from the hotel (and not taking the ferry and then using taxi for the last 17 blocks) would likely be easiest with all the luggage and mobility issues.

Let us know if/when you get a quote for any Hyatt branded properties and we'll take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the F&F code is not available for use on this particular night. Bid again using the strategy above with no luck.

Checking Hotwire today, there is a 4* Downtown/Soho/Financial District for $176. I suspect it's the Doubletree. I also saw a 3.5* Central Park West rate at $189, but I don't really want to stay that far north.

Do you think I could do better than $176 on Priceline?

You should, too!

Do you think I could do better than $176 on Priceline?

The 'problem' is that, assuming you're correct that the 4* above on HOTWIRE is the Doubletree, this property is currently 3.5* rated by PRICELINE. Therefore in order to compare apples-to-apples you would need to bid 3.5*, and you could probably beat the $176/nite rate above, but you're then subject to any 3.5* rated property in the zone... not just the Doubletree nor the 4* that you've been bidding (for other zone)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Yeah, I'm definitely making an assumption that it's the Doubletree. That listing is down to $147 now.

What would you suggest for a PRICELINE strategy up to $145 for 3* including that Downtown Zone? It looks like Priceline has it split into two zones, Downtown and SoHo, so I could bid in both.

You should, too!

I bid this morning 3.5* on Priceline; Downtown using rebid zones ($120-145) and a final bid at $147 adding Times Square. No hit there, so I went ahead and booked the Hotwire rate that showed up yesterday.

The World Center Hotel

Upscale

144 Washington Street,

New York City, NY, 10006

(212) 577-2933

Check-in

Thu, Sep 6, 2012

3:00 PM

Check-out

Fri, Sep 7, 2012

12:00 PM

Amenities

Fitness Center

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Rate per night: $147.00

Nights: 1

Rooms: 2

Taxes: $30.64

Occupancy tax: $22.32

Fees: $17.44

Subtotal: $364.40

Trip total: $364.40

Best rate on the hotel website is $219. I'm happy with this. Thanks for your patience and help while I dithered over what to do!

You should, too!

Congratulations on your success!

While not the Doubletree you were expecting, hope you're pleased with the results and this property will work for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]