Priceline Hotel: Bid Assistance Please : 4* 17th July 2012-24th July 2012

sporty
By sporty,
in

Hello,

I am looking for a 4* double/twin room from the 17th July to the 24th July. We would ideally like the following areas: Central Park South, Chelsea Area, Empire State Building area, Madison Square Garden, Midtown East, Midtown West, Times Square/Theatre District. Our maximum budget for these dates would be $160/night although as we are students we would obviously appreciate a much lower price.

We would greatly appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

In terms of two beds, neither service guarantees two beds, although HOTWIRE guarantees bedding for the amount of people indicated (if you indicate 3-4, you could get some form of bedding for the party (while that may be 2 beds, it may be 1 + sofa or other combo.)

How many people are in your party?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There are currently no 4* hotels offered by PRICELINE in the MSG zone so we won't include that in your bidding strategy, which leaves the following zones:

CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW, TS

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW and TS...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW and CPS...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for the above advice. I followed all the steps with no luck. Would you recommend us trying it again in a few days time or do you think that our budget is unrealistic for 4* for 7 continuous days in mid July?

We used the PRICELINE link as mentioned.

Many thanks again.

Summer is usually a slow season in NYC so $160 would usually be a reasonable figure. Pending any special events which would cause a spike in hotel demand it may just be too early for hotels to discount too deeply... i'd keep with the strategy above approximately twice a week for the next 3-4 weeks and we'll re-access if still unsuccessful.

In the meantime you may want to consider finding a fully refundable back-up reservation just to protect yourself from rates unexpectedly moving higher.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Sporty and thereuare and others who are following:

I'm bidding for NYC July 17th for 4 nights and I used similar zones without success. My max bid was $183 and nothing. I'm going book something refundable, but I'm also going to see what the 3.5* hotels have to offer. I'll watch this to see if there are any changes and I'll post if something comes up.

Thanks for posting, at least I know I'm not alone in questioning the outcomes.

dreamernic,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own trip as although your dates overlaps with the OP's above, they're not exactly the same and that could make a difference. Take the following example of rates fora each set of dates (i'm saying these are the rates, but an example of how rates can vary from one day to the next and why we ask that your post be in its own topic):

7/17-7/21 = $120/nite

7/21-7/24 == $180/nite

Given the above, a $120/nite bid would be enough to win for your dates, but for the OP of this thread it would not be (since the more expensive rates for the second half of their stay increases the bid amount needed).

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So, we've been trying the above strategy for a few weeks with absolutely no luck. $160 is the complete top of our budget so we can't really go up at all. We're willing to look for 3/3.5* now if you think that is our best bet. Ideally we are looking for the best star for the cheapest price if that makes sense.

Thanks again for all your advice

Note that when bidding 3.5* and lower:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.).. is this acceptable?

Also, the MSG zone becomes an option at the 3.5* level.

Should you include MTE, CPS and/or MSG in the next round bidding strategy?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]