Priceline Hotel: Bid Fail - So Far

LWQuestie
By LWQuestie,
in

Bid $100-135 for 4* in both Upper West Side and Financial District (using free re-bid zones) for 5/17-5/20.

Picked these two to try and cash in on recent wins at either Marriott Downtown New York and The Empire Hotel. I'm hoping to stay somewhere near the subway. Other than that, I don't have any particular requirement for location. The party is two adults. DH lived in the Village for about a year, and we have stayed in hotels in Manhattan, so are familiar with the size issue.

I plan to cast the net a little wider in both zone and $$, but just wanted to report results thus far.

Any advice is appreciated and I used the PRICELINE link as usual!

I just read the other post for the similar dates: Priceline Bidding in NYC.

I always use the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start my purchases and searches!
You should, too!

Thank you for keeping us updated, and sorry to hear that your bids haven't been successful.

Not sure what's going on for these dates, but rates are definitely on the high side, and higher than the usual busy Spring season. What would be your desired max bid per night?

Thanks for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Not sure what's going on for these dates, but rates are definitely on the high side, and higher than the usual busy Spring season. What would be your desired max bid per night?

You aren't kidding about the rates! I just got an ad for a sale through Priceline's retail side. They list Element Times Square as 'from $119, down from $189' on select dates. It's running over $400 a night for my dates! ARGH.

Unfortunately i don't think you're close for a 4* hotel in any zone for these dates... how high do you intend on bidding the next round?

I'd love to keep it under $200/night. I've discussed with my husband and we don't want to stay in Jersey. We want to stay somewhere on the island. I'm also willing to go lower with the star levels. I haven't studied the lower star levels on the hotel list enough yet, but I'd probably go down to 3* if necessary. I'll have to read some more posts for strategies. If there is a particular area that I should avoid if we do go down to 3-3.5*, I'm happy to hear about it.

I always use the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start my purchases and searches!
You should, too!

If you lower to 3.5* or less you need to be aware of the following zones:

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel which is well located but extremely small rooms (~140 sq. ft.)

MTE - a few of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

MSG - the Affinia Manhattan is in this zone and generally gets good reviews, but there have been a few reports of 'priceline bias' where those who book thru third party websites get the worst rooms in the house (which are smaller and not as nice as the majority of other rooms in the hotel)

Some of the 'issues' above are not a factor for some users and they include these zones in their bidding, but these are some of hte 'known' factors in these zones which you should at least be aware of and then can make a decision accordingly.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of any help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]