Hotwire Hotel: Help identifying 3.5 star hotel in Chicago

duabci91
By duabci91,
in

June 5-8

I've tried bidding for the last few days with no luck so far. I started my bid at $70, and have gone up to $85. I think my max bid will be $110... do I have a good shot, or what changes should I make?

I've noticed that the hotels for the dates I need are going for around $400... does anyone know why? I looked at the week before and the week after and those are pretty much half the price.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

ASCO, one of the largest oncology drug conventions of the year, is in Chicago this year over these dates and that is likely the reason for the very high prices. Given rates at $400/nite, i doubt your $110 target for a 4* hotel is realistic.

Do you have a back-up plan? Are you willing to stay outside of the city and commute in? What is the purpose of your trip and is there a location you need to be closer to?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and please click each of these links before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, I think a winning bid (if much discount inventory is even available) is going to be significantly higher. I'd be happy to suggest suburban alternatives, but the suburbs would be best if you're driving and would require a train trip (although the Metra trains are very nice) downtown.

That said, the suburbs would probably be $45-75 for a 3.5/4* bidding (and probably towards the lower end of that) versus probably $200 (and quite possibly towards $225-250) for downtown at this point.

Bidding in the burbs it would be best to have a car because you could definitely get a hotel not near a train.

That said, I'm seeing some very nice regular rate suburban properties at about $100 or less that would be close to a train or offer shuttle to train. That would still be significantly less than what rates are downtown.

Please let us know if you need suburban suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I don't have a back-up plan, and unfortunately I've already bought my plane and train tickets... I'll be flying into MDW on the 1st, then leaving by train on the 4th. This will be my first time in Chicago. Our only plans so far are to go to the Sears Tower, Zoo, Navy Pier, and Millennium Park. I'm not renting a car, and would prefer to stay as close to Union Station as I can.

Unfortunately, at this point $110 is not likely going to be enough for downtown for these dates, with HOTWIRE showing rates in the main downtown areas for $300+.

At this point (it may change, but if this is a busy set of dates, prices could stay high or go higher), your options are:

Staying in a hotel near a train line regular rate in the suburbs that is either right near a train line or offers a shuttle. The benefit of this is that the train lines that go out to the suburbs go to Union Station or the station next to it. However, you are looking at a 40-45 minute train ride out and back each way.

Staying in a hotel by Midway and then taking the "L" downtown.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

With many hotels sold out and the remainder going from $250-300-400+, unfortunately I think for 3* and above you may have to head as high as $175-225. The Ohio House Motel is $129 on Expedia - that has not been seen as a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE win, but that is an extremely basic motel (not rated, but I'd say 1*) - although in an excellent location in River North. That may be the most reasonable option downtown.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

You either need to:

1) wait until the very last minute and hope some hotels didn't get as many convention bookings as they anticipated and release some deeply discounted inventory to PRICELINE / HOTWIRE... of course the opposite could happen and the city could be near sell-out and then you wouldn't be able to book a room at any price.

2) find the best deal you can and then bid in an attempt to beat your best deal (which will likely be much more than your current bidding parameters of $140)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The situation for these dates unfortunately does not look as if it's gotten better - in fact, HOTWIRE now only offers two listings for the entire downtown area - a 4* NMA for $435 and a 4.5* Mag Mile for $367. Unfortunately, I think the way things are on these dates, it will likely require either hoping for a (probably last minute) addition to discounted inventory (although I think that may not be likely given that this is already a tough period due to Summer traffic) or staying outside the city.

Unfortunately, hotels in the outlying areas (the airports and suburbs) are too far (at least 35 minutes) from downtown to offer shuttles. Some of the suburban ones offer shuttles to the nearest Metra train and the airport hotels are near CTA stations. It is definitely not the most optimal situation, but with most hotels downtown either sold out or sky-high expensive, it's the only reasonable option.

The other option would be staying in a low-end property downtown, such as the Ohio House for $129 on Expedia.com (great location, not so sure about the hotel, although it gets okay reviews.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Expedia.com links.

Tried again today, adding in Lincoln Park into my search. Went up to $180 for 3 star with no luck.

I may just have to consider The Ohio House Motel as AaronJB has previously suggested. Looks like they don't charge a cancellation fee... so maybe I'll book it for now, and try Priceline again last minute.

Sorry to hear that bids continue to be denied. Unfortunately, this is just an extremely busy set of dates. The Ohio House is definitely basic from the looks of it when I've walked by it (and from the reviews, etc), but at the very least the location in the River North area is excellent.

Thank you for using the site's Expedia link if you do go that route.

The Hilton Orrington in Evanston is $147 for these dates; Evanston is the first town North of the city and that would be near the end of the line for the Red Line subway in the city. That's about a half hour or so on the "L", and there are lots of restaurants and shopping - it's a college town. There's both Metra and CTA train stops a couple of blocks from the hotel. The Embassy Suites North Shore is $98 on Expedia - I believe that property still offers a shuttle to the nearby train station, although not sure how often it runs. HOTWIRE has a 3* in the Midway zone for $131. The Residence Inn Deerfield is $109; that's relatively close (one could possibly walk it) from a train station. Both the Residence Inn Deerfield and Embassy North Shore are in the North 'burbs.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

Sorry to hear that bids continue to be denied - I would suggest continuing to keep an eye on HOTWIRE availability and prices - while HOTWIRE is separate from PRICELINE and inventory is going to vary, if you see prices come down on HOTWIRE and more options available, that may indicate more discount inventory on PRICELINE. I'd be persistent and keep trying in general, starting lower and working higher.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]