Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Downtown - SoHo) W Hotel Downtown

Alexan
By Alexan,
in

Hello!

Long-time BB user, first time poster.

I'm in the rather unique situation of planning a trip, but having a pretty much wide-open timeline as I'll probably be going by myself. That leads to my first question: Are there particular times of the year when prices tend to be lower? Times when there are fewer tourists or when it's particularly pretty? I was originally thinking early November, but could be convinced otherwise.

Second question - a friend of mine told me he'd gotten a rather good deal on a four star in New Jersey and found it quite easy getting to and from Manhattan. I'm seeing prices that are moderately lower when I add Hoboken - Jersey City to my searches (using the BB link, of course.) Has anyone tried this? Good or bad experience? Is it worth it? Or does it depend a great deal on the hotel?

I'm thinking I may wait until closer to my travel dates (whatever they end up being) to book in hopes that at least some of the rates will drop. Anyone tried the price-drop alerts on Hotwire?

Whenever I go I'll probably go with a 3-4 star hotel. Any to try for/avoid?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I'll take whatever I can get in terms of answers/advice, and I'll keep you posted what I end up doing.

Thanks!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The slowest/cheapest time of year in NYC is absolutely the January-to-Mid March time frame. Spring is more expensive, while Summer is usually somewhat slower (although Summer this year has been more expensive.)

Once the Fall begins, rates begin climbing again and November-mid-December are the most expensive time of year (especially the second half of November and first week of December) due to holiday-related travel.

Quite a few people have stayed in the outlying areas and traveled into the city, but it's definitely a more enjoyable experience to be within the city and not have to commute in the morning/evening.

If the last few months are any indication, I wouldn't suggest waiting too long - Summer in NYC is usually a slower/more reasonable period, but rates have stayed high this year.

Please let us know confirmed dates and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Happy to help! :)

Please let us know when your dates are confirmed and we would be happy to offer suggestions. During the Jan/Feb (and possibly some of March) time frame is really the cheapest time of the year in NYC. While rates vary from day-to-day, 4* rates in the low $100 area ($100-120) are not unusual.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 6 months later...

Alright, well I've finally nailed something down. Here's what I got:

Just bid on a 4.5* in the Downtown - SoHo - Financial District (Using the HOTWIRE QuickQuote box, of course). $156/night for two nights. Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High Speed Internet.

I knew from the pinned Hotwire Hotel List thread it was probably either the W Downtown or the Tribecca Grand.

It was the W.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received one of the hotels you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the results.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the date(s) of your stay so we can add this information to the topic title and enable your win to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]