Hotwire Hotel: 4* Paris (Airport Charles de Gaulle CDG) Sheraton

cheffip
By cheffip,
in

After staying three nights in Paris, I'm seriously considering spending the night of Oct 4 at CDG airport because of an early morning flight to Venice on October 5. A Hotwire search for October 4 shows a 4* for $88 with amenities: Fitness, Restaurant, Business Centre, High Speed, 95% Hotwire recommend. Searching on the wins reported and your list, it appears this would be the Sheraton or Hilton. The Sheraton has been reported on BB recently several times with these amenities, the Hilton I believe only once. While it's a good deal for either hotel, I would prefer the Sheraton. Interestingly, on some dates around Oct 4, a hotel with the same price/amenities shows up but Hotwire indicates (with a strike-out line) that the list price is $196 - $216. (It doesn't show the list price for Oct 4) That concerns me because a check of Hotels.com shows a list price for the Sheraton for that date of more than $400. Do you think it's a fairly safe bet or are there other 4* hotels at CDG that are likely to pop out of the woodwork?

Edit: I just noticed if I add in two children, the only 4* that shows up costs $199 with suite, shuttle, and kitchenette. Not sure if that is still a match for the Sheraton?? :(

The crossed out line shown by HOTWIRE is the median price of 4* hotels in the zone... not for the specific property being offered. The amenities of Restaurant, Fitness, Internet, Business are quite common for 4* hotels so this could always be a new property not yet reported to the board, but based upon all the 'known' info, the Hilton and Sheraton would be my best guesses.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks...what's your view of the new result for the same day that I got by adding in the two children (a trick I learned from this forum). If it is the same hotel that I found with no children it would likely rule out the Sheraton and maybe the Hilton (suites with kitchenettes). On the other hand are there any hotels other than Hilton/Sheraton that feature the 95% approval rating?

The amenities of the 2adult offering vs. those of the 2adults/2children offering are entirely different, so i would suspect that you're looking at two different properties... i wouldn't draw any conclusions based upon the differences you're seeing.

I also wouldn't use the '95% approval' rating in trying to identify this (or any other) property as this information is inconsistent... even for the same hotel we have seen the value change from one search to the next.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That was my hunch but I did a random check on various dates through 2012 with the same result: the "95% property" with 2 adults that morphed into the "suites/kitchenette" property when 2 children were added in. That might be too much of a concidence to suggest that there are two different properties available on all the same dates.

Just to give one possible scenario:

Hotel A: is usually the lowest price hotel in a given zone, but only allows for double occupancy

Hotel B: is usually more expensive for double occupancy, but also allows for up to quad occupancy

Given your searches above, it's possible that Hotel A shows every time when searching for 2 guests, but disappears every time searching for 4 guests (since this hotel doesn't allow quad occupancy), and is therefore replaced by Hotel B.

Not saying that this is necessarily what is happening in this instance, but it's just one example of why i wouldn't make any conclusions based upon the observations you've made above.

That's a very reasonable theory. Does Hotwire always display the lowest priced hotel in a given zone/amenities? I was wondering why both hotels wouldn't show up if they are both available? I checked the websites of both the Sheraton and the Hilton. Sheraton is not set up for kids (the latest TA review complains loudly about this) nor is the Hilton though it offers a very high end suite (about $800 pn) with a second bedroom for kids but no reference to kitchenette facilities. Is the lack of a restaurant icon amenity further proof that the 4* "suite/kitchenette" is a different hotel or could that rather important information be hidden by Hotwire? Having an on-site restaurant is a pretty important feature to a lot of people. Thanks for your ongoing help on this...and Merry Christmas! (PS I am doing my PRICELINE and HOTWIRE searches through your links.)

HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone... the hotel with the lowest price is the one that is shown.

As some hotels do use multiple amenity sets, there are times when HOTWIRE will not show all the amenities that a hotel offers to increase the opacity.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

OK the suspense is over. It was the Sheraton. I used your BB link to HOTWIRE and booked in Cdn dollars so:

October 4, 2012 1 night Sheraton Paris Aiport Hotel

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High Speed Internet

Rate $94.73 Cdn

Taxes etc. $14.11

Total $108.84 Cdn

I am really pleased because this allows me to spend the evening in Paris, make my own way to the airport using the RER and have a less stressful morning before my 7:00 am flight to Venice. Plus, today's Expedia and Sheraton websites are showing the least expensive room to be about $400. Thanks again for your help on this one!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the results and this property will work so well for your needs... certainly take a LOT of the stress out of traveling.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

• 10 months later...

Thought I would close the loop by reporting back. The hotel was in a great location in Terminal 2 really just a short walk to/from the RER to central Paris. We had an early morning flight and staying in the Sheraton really made life easier. There's a great take-out deli just a few feet away from the hotel so you can avoid the high costs of the hotel food. Thanks again to BB for your help in identifying this one!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]