Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park) Swissotel

dreinte
By dreinte,
in

Please please please help - this is for Chicago. I am trying to stay close to the city (Downtown, Loop, Magnificent Mile, Grant Park) in a 2* hotel or above.

I've bid up to $140 on 3* on PRICELINE to no avail. I'm willing to book a 2* hotel but would rather not spend more than $160 but I NEED to book a hotel for this weekend so almost anything will do! ... is that possible?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Are you driving into the city or flying in? If you're driving in and are willing to take public transit in, you could stay for quite a bit cheaper outside the city (although I'd really only recommend the 'burbs if you're driving.) What would be your desired budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Which direction are you coming in from?

I think the issue with staying in the burbs is the trip in, which is - depending on where you stay - anywhere from around 35-55 minutes. If the spread between prices in the city and prices in the suburbs is minimal, it's not really worth the effort. However, if the spread between prices is much greater, then it definitely is an option (I think) worth considering. Additionally, parking at most suburban hotels is free versus $25 for public lots/$40-50+ at the hotel downtown, so that's an additional savings if you stay in the 'burbs. Public transit from the further 'burbs is the nicer Metra trains, which are sort of like Amtrak trains (two levels, bathrooms, nicer ride for a longer distance vs. CTA trains.) The Metra trains do definitely not run as often on the weekends, but there are weekend passes for $7 that are good for Saturday and Sunday. The Metra passes are just good for Metra, not the CTA trains/busses downtown. In the burbs, you'd have to drive to the nearest Metra station, although some hotels have shuttles.

The cheapest HOTWIRE option I'm seeing downtown is $143 for what appears to be the La Quinta Loop, which is somewhat out of the way downtown, but is downtown. Everything else on HOTWIRE is $250+.

I usually recommend the North burbs (the North Shore and Deerfield zones), which are a nice area and have a good variety of restaurants. It would depend, but I'm guessing you're looking at between $40-60 for a 3.5/4* in these zones. If you are interested, please let us know and we would be happy to offer further details.

If you are coming in from another direction/would be interested in a different outlying area, please let us know and we'd be happy to offer other suggestions.

Please let us know if you have any questions before bidding.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for all the great advice! If I wanted to try to win the La Quinta Loop on PRICELINE for a better price than what is on HOTWIRE, how should I go about bidding? I would probably settle for $143 but if I can get a better deal, I would love one.

Thanks again!! :) :)

Also -- I am coming from Michigan so the North burbs would be out of the way... I think I would prefer to stick with the city!

Unfortunately, this listing is back to $237 today, and the LQ has not yet been reported to the board as a PRICELINE win, so it's unknown whether the hotel participates with the bidding side of the service. With rates unfortunately remaining at high levels, would you rather try going up towards your max bid downtown, or would you like to try for the SW suburbs (Oakbrook-Downers Grove), which would be significantly cheaper?

In terms of downtown, I think you're looking at least $145-165 (and possibly as much as $175-185) for a 4* either of the two main downtown zones (Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park or River North-NMA). With regular rates at the 3*/3.5* levelsunfortunately looking similarly pricey, lower star ratings will also unfortunately be quite high, as well.

Congrats on your success. :)

Very good deal for this property for a very busy weekend. This property is also in a solid location right along the river and near Michigan Ave. I'm not seeing any availability on Expedia for these dates and the hotel website doesn't seem to be working. While no guarantees, many rooms at this property have nice views of the river or nearby area.

Please let us know if you have any city questions. In terms of parking, you can park in city lots either nearby at Millennium Park or further away (although a nice walk from there to the Swiss) at Navy Pier.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]