Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (NMA-River North) Holiday Inn Mart Plaza

TerryP
By TerryP,
in

Hi there. I am looking for a hotel in Chicago for 4 nights checking in on October 21 and out on October 25. I've read that the North Michigan Ave River North area is the best place to stay for first-time visitors, but that I might also want to consider Millennium Park and Loop. Does this make sense? I'm hoping to stay under $150/night. Do you think I could get a 3.5 or 4 for that price?

Thanks,

Terry

A general overview:

River North-NMA: Contains the Gold Coast neighborhood at the very top North end of the zone, the River North neighborhood at the SW corner of the zone, as well as the NMA shopping area. Further from museums, but shopping, restaurants and nightlife (the latter two especially in the Gold Coast and River North areas.) Just to the North of the top end of this zone is the South portion of the Lincoln Park area (including Lincoln Park Zoo) as well as Old Town.

Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park: Closer to museums and some shopping along State St. Restaurants, but not quite as wide a variety as River North-NMA. Lastly, this area can get quiet at night, especially in the West/South parts of the zone. There are properties at each star level in this zone that are at least somewhat out of the way in the West or South portions of the zone.

Would you like to bid for both zones or NMA only?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If $150 isn't enough i don't think you'd be too far off.. i'm guessing you could win something at $165 or under.

To begin, did you want to bid for a 4* first up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5* property... OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 3.5* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* NMA...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $125, if rejected closer browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* NMA and re-bid zone5...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately I was rejected right up to $150! I've looked at the reviews of the 3* hotels though (using the list on this forum) and they seem quite respectable. I'm not sure about location though. Are there any of the 3*s that would be a little out of the way? I would definitely consider dropping to 3*. I realize that the strategy would be slightly different because I have fewer rebid zones.

In terms of the 3*'s that have been reported to the board, the two properties that are "out of the way" are the Indigo (which is in the Gold Coast area, which is very nice but a few minutes walk North of the North tip of the NMA area) and the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (towards the SW corner of the zone.) Neither would be too bad at all, and the Gold Coast area around the Indigo is not only a very nice area (a lot of restaurants/nightlife), as well as a subway station nearby. I would not recommend bidding 3* in the Millennium Park/Loop/GP area.

It's not optimal, but a split your stay situation could possibly be done in this case - there's a 3* for $105 in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for 10/23-25 only.

10/23-25: $105: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry Mag Mile/Streeterville 3* - possible match for the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza or Four Points (although I'd guess the former is more likely.)

10/21-23: $172: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business Mag Mile/Streeterville (possible match for the Doubletree).

Average: $140.5 per night. However, you could try bidding for these dates separately in order to try and get a win for even cheaper. If you were able to get a 3* for the second two nights for $85-95 in the River North/NMA area (although I'd start at $80), that would allow some breathing room to go higher for the first two nights.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Switching hotels in Chicago is definitely a hassle in terms of having to deal with checkin and possibly not being able to checkin early (checking bags, etc.) but in terms of distance, it's really not too bad in most instances in downtown Chicago.

If you do want to stay in the same property, in terms of bidding on 3* River North-NMA, I would start at $105, although I do think it will require a higher bid.

No luck on the 3* so far. I used all my free rebid zones for today:

Bid $105…rejected.

Added Franklin Park…bid $110….rejected

Added Hyde Park…bid $115…rejected

Added Lincoln Park…bid $118….rejected

Added Midway Airport North…bid $120…rejected

Will try again tomorrow going a little higher...maybe to $130. If that doesn't work, I'm going to serious consider the split bid.

...so I ready to entertain the idea of a split-bid... Or should I try the Loop zone?

It really depends upon your needs for this stay and how much you want location vs. the inconvenience of changing properties. However, i think $120 would be at the very low end of the range of what i would think is likely to be accepted... my guess is that you'll likely need to be in the $140-$160 range for these dates.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and if $120 is your top bid for this trip.

To confirm, you're only bidding the NMA zone, correct?... and at the 3.5* level? If so...

At the 3.5* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* NMA-River North...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

If the above is rejected, close the browser, use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and try again for the next date in the sequence.

You can loop thru the strategy:

10/21-10/25

10/21-10/24

10/22-10/25

10/21-10/23

10/23-10/25

Ok that's not what we talked about I don't think. You suggested (based on Hotwire pricing) that the price for the first two days (October 21 and 22) was much higher than the second two days (October 23 and 24). I therefore could save money by splitting the bid because I would get a lower price for the second two days, which I could contribute to the cost of the first two days.

What I was expecting was that you would therefore suggest a starting bid for October 23 and 24 that would be lower than for the higher priced nights (the Friday and Saturday). The Hotwire rate for the 23rd and 24th was only $105 so I'm confused why I would bid $110 on Priceline. Also, I am bidding on 3* as I'm pretty sure that was what the Hotwire rates were based on that you quoted.

Maybe I'm missing something?

To confirm, you're only bidding the NMA zone, correct?... and at the 3.5* level? If so...

If you're only bidding the 3* level then you have FOUR re-bid zones.

Select 3* NMA-River North...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

The above may even succeed for 10/22-10/25, but not sure if you prefer the lower price(and star rating) for as many nites as you can get OR if you're only taking the 3* in order to free up some of the budget for the first two nites.

If you want as many nites at a 3* that you can get, i'd loop thru the following dates:

10/21-10/25

10/22-10/25

10/21-10/24

10/23-10/25

10/21-10/23

If you are trying to minimize the number of nites at a 3* property, but doing so in order to free up some of your budget, then i'd only bid the 3* strategy above for the dates 10/23-10/25.

Thanks. I've been bidding just on 3* since September 27. I will use the strategy that you suggested for the cheaper nights, but not for the entire stay, because I've already bid (and failed) up to $130 for those dates.

So, I'll try bidding $130 and up for October 21 - 23 (yes?) and starting at $80 for October 23 - 25. All 3*, just to be clear.

Make sense?

- Terry

If you're only bidding the 3* level then you have FOUR re-bid zones.

Select 3* NMA-River North...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

The above may even succeed for 10/22-10/25, but not sure if you prefer the lower price(and star rating) for as many nites as you can get OR if you're only taking the 3* in order to free up some of the budget for the first two nites.

If you want as many nites at a 3* that you can get, i'd loop thru the following dates:

10/21-10/25

10/22-10/25

10/21-10/24

10/23-10/25

10/21-10/23

If you are trying to minimize the number of nites at a 3* property, but doing so in order to free up some of your budget, then i'd only bid the 3* strategy above for the dates 10/23-10/25.

Congrats on your success. :)

Pretty phenomenal deal for this Holiday Inn property (which was renovated a year or two ago) - the price on Expedia is $239.

A river view room is usually about $8 more regular rate; if you have any interest, I'd ask if they have any available, but I wouldn't pay much additional for it, given that it's usually a very small premium regular rate.

Please start a new thread for the additional dates and we would be happy to help - did you bid up to $146 for a 3* or 3.5*? for the first two nights?

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]