Priceline Hotel: Request for bidding strategy on NYC 9/3-9/4 (3.5* or 4*)

wardnine
By wardnine,
in

Staying in NYC 9/3-9/4 and would like to stay in a 3.5* or 4* hotel paying a maximum of $140/night. Any area of Manhattan is acceptable, though would prefer one of the mid-town zones, SoHo, or Financial District (Financial District because the reason I am in NYC is to attend to business in that area). Goal for stay is least expensive hotel 3.5* or better. If this fails would be willing to try 3* for slightly less/night.

Any advice is appreciated and let me know if more information is needed, thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding.

To confirm, UWS and UES go pretty far north, especially if your plans require you to be in the Downtown area... did you want to include these zones from the onset, only include them after other zones fail, or exclude them entirely.

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At current rated I don't think $140 will likely be enough for a 3.5* for this this nite, but we can try and take it from there.

At the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* HK...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS, HK...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I followed your bidding strategy a couple hours ago (using the PRICELINE links you indicated) and got rejected. Do you have a suggestion on my next course of action? I'd be willing to do 3* for maximum of $120 or increase my maximum for 3.5/4* hotels to $160 (preferable the 3* option)... do you think either of these options have a reasonable chance of working? Very much appreciate the assistance you've given thus far, thanks!

To try the same up to $160 you can bid as follows:

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* HK...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Follwed your updated bidding strategy a few minutes ago (again using your PRICELINE links) and got rejected again. I'd like to try a 3* or better bidding strategy paying a maximum of $135/night? (Same areas of Manhattan as previous strategy.) Do you have any suggestions for that? If this fails I'll just go look for a deal for a crappy hotel/motel somewhere seeing as how I'll only be in the hotel for a few hours (to sleep) probably. Again, very much appreciate your help and patience with this request...

My guess is that a 3* will likely be out of your reach, and it's also possible that a 'crappy hotel/motel somewhere' is going to cost you more than you think too, but we can cross that bridge when we get there...

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, MSG...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, HK...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTE, Chelsea, DT, ESB, MSG...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, MTW, TS, HK...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, MTW, DT, ESB, MSG...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTE, Chelsea, TS, HK...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, TS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, DT, HK...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, DT, HK, MSG...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, ESB...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

My guess is that a 3* will likely be out of your reach, and it's also possible that a 'crappy hotel/motel somewhere' is going to cost you more than you think too, but we can cross that bridge when we get there...

Well that sucks :)

I'll try your latest bidding strategy this afternoon when I have some time and let you know how it goes, thanks. Worst case scenario I've reserved a room at Lurchmont Hotel (Greenwhich Village, shared bathrooms) for $125 with $0 deposit but will exhaust all reasonable bidding options before staying there. Again, very much appreciate your assistance with this!

I tried your bidding strategy (again using your PRICELINE links) Thursday evening and actually added $15 to each bid but still had no success for 3*. Should I keep trying your 3* strategy or do you have any other suggestions? I'd be willing to go 2.5* for roughly the same prices - do you think that could work? Not willing to stay in NJ where I could probably get a cheaper room...

I'd be willing to go 2.5* for roughly the same prices - do you think that could work?

Less than 50/50, imo... but since you have ONE re-bid zone available at the 2.5* level, you can just repeat the previous strategy changing the star rating to 2.5*.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried again last night going $25 over the bids you suggested in your strategy for 2.5* (max $155) but no luck. Was given a "one time" opportunity a couple of times to re-bid $183 but I declined. Just wanted to say I very much appreciate your help with this and will be back the next time I'm looking for a hotel...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]