Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago North Shore (Northbrook) Renaissance Chicago North Shore

Frogger85
By Frogger85,
in

Pretty standard bidding...worked the North Shore Zone at the 4/3.5 levels. I started with Wheeling (as I was trying for the Westin) at $41. No Luck,

worked the other zones except Deerfield , I stayed at the Hyatt not that long ago..nice hotel..but I wanted a change. After a bid of $48 I got the

offer page. This was a bit strange since I could increase my offer from $25 to $175 dollars. I could understand if this was downtown where there are

so many 4* hotels. But in this zone the only two 4 star hotels in are the Westin (Wheeling) and Renaissance (Northbrook). I declined the offer and

kept bidding,dropped to 3.5 * and on my last try got the Renaissance for $55. Nice deal.

Like I said the strange thing was the offer page, I know that you go lower than the offer they give but usually by 10-15 bucks. I'm sure I could have

got the Westin for $75-80 not for over $200. I know there some debate about overbidding and hotel price points. It seems like in Downtown Chicago

if you bid high the hotels change (ex: $70=Hyatt, $80=Hilton or Drake ect..). But in this case you could clearly overbid.

Regards

Congrats on your success. :)

Nice deal for this property, which I thought was a pleasant hotel. Barnaby's across the street is also recommended for pizza.

Were you shown a list of retail hotels or did you get a counter-offer bid page for $175? Certainly odd to get that degree of counter-offer, if that's the case.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

No it was counter offer...I have never seen one so high..even when I've gotten the offer page for Downtown Chicago the range was around $15-$95.

The Westin was $99 on the retail page, that's why I thought I might get it for $60 or so.

To me this seems like proof that you could really overbid in a small zone. Since the downtowns have more hotels it might not be that big a deal since there has to be some understanding between hotels.

It was odd.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]