Priceline Hotel: Need bidding help for NYC 8-18 / 8-22

laredo77
By laredo77,
in

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with a bidding strategy. I'll be in NYC with my girlfriend from Aug 18 to Aug 22. Two years ago we stayed around Newark airport and we would like to be in the center city this year.

I saw on the priceline site that almost all zones are ok for us except Brooklyn, Coney Island, Long Island City and Queensborough Bridge. Am I right or do you think that some other zones arent to good for tourists?

We would like to be close to the subway and stay in at least a 3* hotel for around 125$ a night. Is that realistic?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There are different zone recommendations depending upon what star level you're bidding. Let us know the following and we'll advise according:

-are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

-some zones have hotels at some star levels which can be a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

-some hotels can have extremely small rooms, starting at 150sq ft (think 12ft x 12ft)... would this be acceptable?

-Downtown-Soho is usually close to a subway, but if most of your activities will take place in midtown it will be a 20-25 minute ride, would this still be considered 'convenient' enough for your needs? (less of an issue if most of your activities are downtown or in the Village)

Let's start with the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your answer! The least expensive 3* or better is my goal. We prefer to be as close as possible to the subway. A small room is acceptable. We are planning on seeing Manhattan/Brooklyn and Harlem (we live in the original Haarlem in The Netherlands) but most of our activities will take place in the village so a short subway ride is no problem.

Thanks in advance for your help again!!

-some zones have hotels at some star levels which can be a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?
We prefer to be as close as possible to the subway.
This doesn't let us know if a 15 minute walk is acceptable or not... would you want to not include any zones where the walk to the subway would be 15 minutes... OR if this is where the least expensive 3* or better property happens to be located that is what you want?
We are planning on seeing Manhattan/Brooklyn and Harlem...
While both are greatly improved over the years, there are still very rough spots within each, i'd make sure you know exactly where you're going and how you're going to get there, and travel during daylight hours.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your budget may be a little though, but i'd start with CPS, MSG, MTW, TS zones up to your limit, then if rejected can discuss adding other nearby zones and/or increasing your budget.

If you find these zones acceptable i'd bid as follows:

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* CPS and MSG...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW and TS...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS and TS...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW and MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS and MTW...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG and TS...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS and MTW and TS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS and MTW and MSG...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG and CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS and MTW and MSG and TS...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help so far. Just to make sure, am I right in thinking Coney Island is the only rebid zone I have? You dont think its possible to get a 3.5* or 4* star accomodation for around $125? What do you think is a reasonable price for 3.5* - 4* hotel in August?

-are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?
The least expensive 3* or better is my goal.
You dont think its possible to get a 3.5* or 4* star accomodation for around $125?
As per above, you stated that your goal was the least expensive 3* or better hotel, which is what the bidding strategy given does. Did you instread want to try for a 4* hotel up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3* up to your limit? Let us know.
Thanks for all your help so far. Just to make sure, am I right in thinking Coney Island is the only rebid zone I have?
That's corret... but always double check just before bidding.

Rates are somewhat high for this complete stay, but if you're willing/able to increase your budget a little HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel for $153/nite in the ESB zone... as well as a very highly rated 2.5* for $151/nite in the Chelsea-MSG zone.

If your budget is firm SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID may be something else you can consider.

What is the best available rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Thanks for the tips. I noticed that the 153$ is without taxes so in total for 4 nights it will be around 700$. The best price I can find on regular sites is around 800$. What do you advice? Book now or wait till mid august?

Nobody can say if rates will come down... or move even higher, between now and your stay. See the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Where is the $700 alternate hotel?

I mis-typed and i assume we're talking your back-up hotel is $800 (not $700)

I took a closer look at the 2.5* Chelsea property and i suspect it's likely the Candlewood Suites, which if correct, the Edison has a better location but the Candlewood Suites gets much better reviews. It's not the Candlewood Suites has a bad location, but it's a 5 minute walk to Times Square rather than walking out your door and being in the thick of it (which can be a pro or con depending upon your perspective). While i don't know that much about the Edison, i believe it is a bit tired, as mentioned by many of the reviews.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for your answer. For now I am reconsidering my options:

1. Book a hotel with cancellations options (e.g. Hilton Newark Penn Station 500$ for 4 nights including taxes) and try again Priceline in mid august for central NYC;

2. (Try to) Book a 4* hotel with Priceline in the Newark Jersey City area for maximum 100$ a night (excluding taxes).

Maybe you can help me with option 2?

I see pretty much wins on the 4* hotels in Jersey City for around 100$ a night and would like to try this also. The available hotels are all pretty good:

Newark - Meadowlands (Jersey City)

4* Hyatt Regency On The Hudson

4* W Hoboken

4* Westin

Can you suggest a bidding strategy?

Just wanted to share my priceline winning bid with you since it is almost for exact same dates 8-18 / 8-21 (only 3 night for me):

Beekman Tower Hotel (3 starts according to priceline)

Midtown East

3 Mitchell Place

New York, New York 10017

winning bid was $140 per night which made a total for 3 nights plus taxes = $515.70

Not sure if it is a good hotel/deal - but wanted to share it since the dates almost match!

Thanks.

AAG,

Just wanted to share my priceline winning bid with you since it is almost for exact same dates 8-18 / 8-21 (only 3 night for me):

Beekman Tower Hotel (3 starts according to priceline)

Midtown East

3 Mitchell Place

New York, New York 10017

Can you please post your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC so that others will be aware of your win when searching the topic titles on the board and in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

laredo77,

1. Book a hotel with cancellations options (e.g. Hilton Newark Penn Station 500$ for 4 nights including taxes) and try again Priceline in mid august for central NYC;
If you're going to stay in the Newark Airport zone as a Manhattan replacement, this is the one you want, but note that while this property is connected via a walkway to Newark Penn Station, the area surrounding the hotel is not that great and it's not a route i'd want to be taking home late at nite. If you do decide this property is acceptable, please use our Hilton link in the support page.
2. (Try to) Book a 4* hotel with Priceline in the Newark Jersey City area for maximum 100$ a night (excluding taxes).
Based upon current rates i think $100 is going to fall a bit short... i would think that $115-$135 is probably more likely. However, if you want to give it a try anyway i'd proceed as follows:

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Using your SIX re-bid zones:

Select 4* Jersey City...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Thanks, once again! Will try the new bidding strategy within the next 2 hours when I arrive home after work.

Does anybody know anyting about the Salisbury Hotel in NYC? Its available at Expedia for 700$ for 4 nights. Good deal or can there be better deals? Maybe nice as a backup instead of the Hilton Penn Station (which I didnt book yet!)

I don't have first hand knowledge of the Salisbury but from what i can gather it's a budget hotel with a very good location... i certainly wouldn't expect luxury, but it wouldn't also likely serve its purpose of a clean roof over your head. HOWEVER, when i search for your dates this property is $1000+ all-in, not sure where you're seeing the $700 all-in rate. If you do go that route please use the board's link to Expedia (also found in our support page)

I used the boards Expedia link for booking the Salisbury yesterday evening. Went to the Dutch Expedia site for my booking, total costs are 463 Euro = 665$. Nice price for a backup hotel with a good location and pretty good tripadvisor rating.

Ill keep on trying to get a better hotel for a cheaper price, so thanks for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]