Priceline Hotel: 4* Jersey City

BumLooker
By BumLooker,
in

Just wondering if anyone who has bid on a Jersey City hotel using Priceline knows for sure if all of the zones are free rebid zones when it comes to the 4* rating. I know that this is somewhat of an odd question since I can click on each one individually and it will show if a 4* is available in the particular area but I've been unpleasantly surprised before by it...I'll leave it at that for now. I do want to stay as close to Manhattan has possible because the prices for our date of stay 5/19 - 5/23 are so high in the city. It's our anniversary so I wanted a nicer hotel. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please follow-up your previous priceline Montreal and priceline Boston threads with whatever you ended up doing for each of those stay... then click this PRICELINE link reply to this thread and we'll have a look at and comment on your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Bumlooker, I may have some help to offer.

I have bid many times for 4* in Jersey City; my goal was to win the Hyatt, which is wonderful and quite romantic. (It is built out into the water with glorious views of lower Manhattan and the harbor.) My tactic has been to keep the bid low (not more than the high $80's, as the Westin--which I have also stayed at--usually looks for bids in the $90's and over $100. The Westin is quite new and is a good win, but it lacks the water view and the airiness of the Hyatt's location; as well, it is two or three blocks to the PATH whereas the Hyatt is right by it.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on the Hyatt's rack rate. I know that for the 20-23 it has, sadly, increased in the past few days. Adding Thursday makes your task yet harder, winning it less likely.

If money is an important consideration, there is Secaucus which is usually winnable for a 3* in the $60's with free parking. From by the hotels, a bus goes to the Port Authority terminal (8th-41) but romantic, well, no. However, you almost certainly can get the Hyatt for Sunday, possibly at just under $80. If you've a car and a GPS, a nice compromise would be to drive ten minutes to near the Hyatt where free weekend parking is not so hard to find, and paid isn't that much, then take the PATH into the city, or, better yet, a boat to Manhattan--just a few dollars more than the PATH. The dock is just a five minute walk south from the Hyatt.

I hope this may be useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]