Priceline Hotel: Below $100 for 4* Montreal in april/may

StckFigure
By StckFigure,
in

I'm looking to do a weekend trip to Montreal sometime in the early spring. Specific weekend is flexible. I'm seeing Hotwire display a 4* hotel at just over 100 US dollars (although only one), and I'm wondering whether this means I could take a shot on PL to do better than that. I'm comfortable spending 100; I'd prefer something closer to 75 or 80. If I can get something on the lower end of the price scale, I'd like to do Thurs-Sun; if I have to focus at or above 100, then two nights only. I want something centrally located, and I know I can't be choosy about parking so I'm factoring that into my price hopes already. I think that my focus should be on Downtown, then. I'm also willing to consider 3 1/2 star, but at something closer to a 50-70 dollar range because there's a couple of possibilities on the priceline lists here that I'd be less thrilled with.

Is it feasible for me to shoot for the $75 range for 4*? Would I have better luck targeting the 3.5* at the lower price range? And, finally, is there any way to get a sense of which weekend might be the best to pick... or a way to do flexible weekends on PL?

Thank you!

-Jeffrey

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire St Louis thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay... then click this PRICELINE link and reply to this thread, we'll have a look and comment on your stay above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would start by searching HOTWIRE for the various weekends you're able to travel and see if there are any hotels offered within your desired budget, star rating, and zone... take note of which weekends are more/less expensive then others, and which actually have offers meeting your criteria.

Report back with the dates and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's what I've noticed from Hotwire:

April 29-May 1 has the best price 4* for $110, which is close to my upper limit but 25-30% above what I'd really like to spend. The 3 1/2-star option is $81, which is about the same difference above target.

May 20-22 has the best-price 4* hotel at $139 and 3 1/2 at $113 (I think this is Memorial Day?)

May 27-29 has 4* at $133 and 3 1/2 * at $92.

Another possibility is May 14-16, which is a Sat-Mon (unlike the others, which are Fri-Sun), and that falls in the middle with a 4* at $122 and 3.5 at $91.

All of these are in the "Downtown" zone, which seems to be the best option for me in terms of location near stuff, but I don't know the city at all.

Thanks!

-Jeffrey

So based upon the above it would appear that 4/29-5/1 is less expensive then the other nites and most likely your best chance at the lowest rates.

Are these dates acceptable and do you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit (what would that figure bid?) or a 3.5* up to your limit? (again, what would that figure be)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Those dates are probably my second choice (late May being my first) but price is more important than timing for us right now. That said, I would rather have a 4* in my (slightly higher) price range if it's possible than a 3.5* in the lower range. I'd like to keep the 4* between 80 and 90 but anything under $100 would be acceptable. If I can't get that, then I'll look at 3.5* up to $65-70.

-Jeffrey

The Downtown zone in Montreal was recently split into "Downtown-City Center" and "Convention Center-Old Montreal-Latin Quarter"... do you know which of these zones, or both, are acceptable?

Assuming both zones are acceptable, you have THREE re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown-City Center...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Convention Center-Old Montreal-Latin Quarter...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Downtown-City Center AND Convention Center-Old Montreal-Latin Quarter ...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95

Any questions feel free to ask. If rejected post back and we'll revise to try again up to $100 and then for a 3.5*.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

No luck up to $85 for a 4* hotel in either Downtown or Convention Center on the weekend of May 14-16, which I've decided to definitely be the dates I want. There doesn't seem to be too many hotels in the 3.5* range, but then the 3* set looks like a big array from "really really nice" to "okay". Watching the tax get added, though, I started to get more interested in not going above the $85 mark.

I decided to take a shot in the dark and add one more bid to my growing rebid list; I had all the areas selected that were fair (the two I want, plus the three that don't have 3.5* hotels) from my previous rebids and I just added 3.5* as an option and dropped my bid all the way to $60, which I didn't think I'd get, and I didn't. Should I just proceed tomorrow in the exact same manner as I did for 4*, but with 3.5, and then, if that fails, try inching closer to $100?

For comparison, as of today, a 3.5* on Hotwire (Fitness, Business) is $91 and a 4.5* on Hotwire (Fitness, pool, internet, restaurant, business) is $133. Interestingly, the 4* is a dollar more than that. Hotwire's "downtown" appears to roughly be the same area as the two areas I'm looking at on Priceline.

Thanks as always!

Watching the tax get added, though, I started to get more interested in not going above the $85 mark.
Should I just proceed tomorrow in the exact same manner as I did for 4*, but with 3.5, and then, if that fails, try inching closer to $100?

It depends upon your 'true' maximum bid and how much you want a 4* vs. a 3.5*.

Let us know how you decide to proceed and how we can be of further help.

I would say that I definitely don't want to go above $91 for the 3.5*, since I can get that on HOTWIRE, and consequently I think, too, that that should be my upper limit bid in general, because - based on the Hotwire Hotel lists here - my guess is that the available hotel is the Le Meridien Versailles, which seems perfectly fine and is also a 3.5* hotel on the Priceline list. That said, I'd go up to $92 on PL if that dollar made a difference.

So, in conclusion: Max price of $92 is more important than the distinction between a 3.5* or a 4*, with preference certainly on the higher ones (I think it's fair to assume, at that level, that parking is going to be pretty much the same high price at all possible outcomes, right?)

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]