OGG Maui Rental help

dsdunbar
By dsdunbar,
in

I have been bidding at Priceline (using the links provided in this forum) to get a rental for 9 days. I am interested in the cheapest car available (economy/compact). I am flying into Maui on Saturday Feb 19 at 3pm, and leaving Sunday Feb 27, at 3pm).

I started low ($9) and went up to ($13), the state taxes really hurt (84.3% taxes/fees). The week I am traveling is over presidents day (monday February 21) so i am thinking prices are high for that weekend, would it be wise to seperate the time into to 4 day bids (2/19-2/22) and (2/23-2/27) or other thoughts? maybe bid for feb 19/20 high ($24/day) and bid $12/day for the rest?

Just thinking outloud. All suggestions welcome!

You can try splitting the bid, but i'm not so sure it's going to help as, at the moment, i'm seeing high prices fairly consistently throughout the week for your stay. I'd think that most people traveling to Maui for the President's week holiday would be doing so for more than just the weekend, which is why you may be seeing higher prices for more than just the weekend.

What the best deal you're able to find thru conventional booking channels? What is your maximum bid for this rental?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried again today, and went up to $19/day for economy which was not accepted. I did notice though that the "suggested offer" went up - Yesterday it was "Good- $23, Great $24" and today it is "Good $30, Great $31". So i am thinking that maybe this week is a bad time to be looking...maybe best to start again after the new year?

As far as conventional prices, Cheapest i saw was $208 which with taxes came out to $330 - $350, I'd really like to get the whole rental for $250 or under. I didn't try to split, it doesn't look like I can place a "bid" for one particular rental agency (can't focus on just Alamo or whoever) ...this rises a problem because I was hoping if I did a split rental to be from the same place and thus maybe have to avoid driving from Kaanapali back to the airport for a rental "change".

So yeah, went up to $19/day and no luck. Saw someone else here got $13/day for earlier in Feb from OGG (Feb 2 - 13 or something). I have some time to still rebid but would like to finalize it for ease of mind.

Thanks.

I tried again today, and went up to $19/day for economy which was not accepted. I did notice though that the "suggested offer" went up - Yesterday it was "Good- $23, Great $24" and today it is "Good $30, Great $31". So i am thinking that maybe this week is a bad time to be looking...maybe best to start again after the new year?
I would ignore the 'suggested bid prices' shown by PRICELINE... although your post does reiterate why it's a godo idea to book a refundable back-up... you're locked in at lower rates should prices continue to rise, yet you can easily cancel (most rental agencies don't even require a credit card to reserve) should you succeed with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE. We do have links to a few of the major rental agencies in our support page.
...this rises a problem because I was hoping if I did a split rental to be from the same place and thus maybe have to avoid driving from Kaanapali back to the airport for a rental "change".
Even if you land the same rental agency on both purchases you would likely need to return to the rental counter to do the 'swap'.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]