Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Algonquin

nitad
By nitad,
in

If your plans are firm, you know about where prices should be for this time of year, and you don't overbid... then it's never too early to begin bidding!

What star level, zone(s), and budget are you targeting?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I want to bid on a four * and the areas I think I want are in this order MTW, MTE, CPS, TS, ISB, UWS

We will be doing most of our activities in midtown area (Wicked, Blue Man Group), although we will move around some. Do you think these are a good order of areas? Are some of these better than others as far as winning bids? I would love to get in under 200.00 but willing to go to 225.00 all in.

Thanks for any help.

I definitely would not include UWS unless it comes down to a last resort option. MTE, CPS, TS, MTW, ESB are all fine choices, although I particularly like MTE as a good combination of fine location and value, as it's not that far from TS, but usually mildly-to-moderately less expensive.

You could likely start bidding for a 4* in these areas around the $125-135 neighborhood (given how far in advance this is, you could start at $125), and then have a ceiling on the upside ($175) and bid up to that ceiling once a week or every other week until the end of the year. If you are unsuccessful by year's end, you could then push towards your $200 max and/or consider other alternatives.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Before i saw Aaron's post i was going to suggest ~$160 for the time being as a maximum bid, as i think anything near this pricepoint would be a pretty good deal for a 4* hotel for this time of year. I'd also agree that i wouldn't add UWS until late in the game if you were still unsuccessful.

So at the moment you can use somewhere between $160-$175 as a maximum bid depending upon how much you want to get this done and have your plans be settled vs. how much time you want to devote to bidding every week or so.

Please confirm the zones you want to bid and your current maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow. Also, are you willing to pay more to stay in a zone near the front of your list vs. the back of your list... OR is the goal really the least expensive 4* or better in any of your acceptable zones?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- Wicked and BMG aren't really that close to each other... either is easy enough to get to via subway, but you won't find one location this is geographically 'close' to both

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the info on the shows. I am guessing that for the most part my areas of choice are all about the same as far as convenience to sights. If not let me know and order my selections according to convenience and value. I will take the advice to drop UWS till last. Right now I would rather have the best deal, so my max bid will be 175.00. This feels low, but I can get a 3-1/2* (Dream) from PRICELINE for 209.00 without bidding.

Also, with the noise level in TS do you think other locations are more desirable like ESB. ESB seems farther away from center, but you would know better. Its been years since I have been to NY. Thanks for all your help.

I'd have no problem staying in the ESB zone. At the 4* level all the 'known' hotels are well located and generally get very good reviews.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and CPS and ESB...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW and TS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS and TS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and CPS and TS and ESB...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I need some help with the bidding strategy. I read the directions over in the other forum, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. When you say add a rebid zone, do you mean a zone that doesn't have the star level I'm looking for? like in my case, Brooklyn? Or do you mean bid MTE at 110.00 then CPS at 110.00, then ESB at 110.00. Thanks for helping.

RE-Bid zone = a zone which only has star levels lower then the star rating you've selected

So Brooklyn would be an example of one of your re-bid zones, but at the 4* level you have FIVE such re-bid zones... feel free to confirm them with the board before bidding (or ask additional questions if you're unsure)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It's still quite early and i'd try about once a week or so... pricing isn't likely to change too frequently this much before your stay and any more then once per week you'll likely get frustrated from the rejections.

Please continue to use the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Good luck! Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

• 4 months later...

I have been trying your recommended strategy off and on once a week, since September with no luck. The last two weeks I was trying a little more often but not going above 150.00 and still no luck until tonight. I started with the MTE, MTW, ESB at 130.00 and right away they told me to up my bid to 165.00 to get a hotel which I did not do. Kept bidding till 145.00 and got the Algonquin like everyone else here. Looks like a nice hotel. I just hope I can get a queen or king bed. Thanks so much for all your help. This site is invaluable.

145.00 for 3 nights = 435.00

104.46 taxes

total = 539.46

A far cry from their best non refundable rate of 297.00 a night for a double bed.

Also, I used your PRICELINE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]