Hotwire Hotel: Downtown Chicago on short notice advice

ocmom920
By ocmom920,
in

I am new to the site and am a bit confused--want to clarify before making my 1st bid.

On the Calendar of Wins there are separate posts for Hotwire and Priceline--both indicate that they were won by bids.

I thought Hotwire was not a bidding site--you just take the hotel based on rating/amenities without knowing the name. However, people seem to be saying they bid to get their rates.

Am I missing something?

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The calendar of wins offers both the PRICELINE bid wins and the HOTWIRE purchase "wins". HOTWIRE is a fixed price service that offers a set of listings to choose from, while PRICELINE is bidding.

If you would like assistance with your stay, please let us know date/s of travel, budget per night and desired zones/star rating.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the clarification . . .

I want to report a win for the Doubletree at Chicago O'Hare on 7/19 for $58.

Now I am looking for a place for 2 nights in downtown Chicago for 7/23-7/25. I am thinking either the Magnificent Mile/North Mich Ave area or Millennium Park--any idea the difference between those areas? Which is closer to the Art Institute and other museums?

On Hotwire I saw a hotel that shows: fitness center, pool, restaurants, business center and internet access--90% approval--3.5* for $202. Do you think that is Embassy Suites? I saw on the Board of Wins, someone got ES for $89 on those dates.

I am hoping to pay less through Priceline, but that would be my back-up if needed. I see some wins posted for less than $100 in that area. Any strategies to suggest to get a 3.5* or 4* in one of those areas? Am I more apt to get a better or worse deal since I am now so close to our travel date>

Thanks!

Just reported a win at the Doubletree O'Hare $58 on 7/19

Now I am looking for a place for 2 nights in downtown Chicago for 7/23-7/25. I am thinking either the Magnificent Mile/North Mich Ave area or Millennium Park--any idea the difference between those areas? Which is closer to the Art Institute and other museums?

On Hotwire I saw a hotel that shows: fitness center, pool, restaurants, business center and internet access--90% approval--3.5* for $202. Do you think that is Embassy Suites? I saw on the Board of Wins, someone got ES for $89 on those dates.

I am hoping to pay less through Priceline, but that would be my back-up if needed. I see some wins posted for less than $100 in that area. Any strategies to suggest to get a 3.5* or 4* in one of those areas? Am I more apt to get a better or worse deal since I am now so close to our travel date>

Thanks!

Good morning. :)

Please first provide a follow-up for the stay discussed in your prior Las Vegas Hotwire thread (please post what you decided for that stay within that thread.)

Additionally, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your Doubletree win as a separate thread in the Illinois area.

Then, reply to this thread and we would be happy to look into the above dates for downtown.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi Aaron,

I think I did what you asked . . . I am finding your site has great info, but a bit difficult to navigate in terms of my own posts. When I log in, I can't seem to find a ready place to start a post. I think I have ended up searching my user name for old posts and then finding an "add new topic" at the bottom.

Maybe I am just old . . . :)

OK . . . do you want me to post my Chicago question again or can you reply from here?

Thanks,

First, thank you for replying to the old post and posting the Doubletree win. :)

Additionally, is this for 2 adults or 2 adults/2 children? (as that will make a difference in availability.)

The wins for this time frame that were reported under $100 were likely done some time ago; rates for this Summer have risen and are (overall) higher than last year. I believe there are also a few conventions happening

during this time frame, which have driven prices up, unfortunately.

The 3.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville listing on HOTWIRE would likely be the Doubletree.

If for 2 adults/2 children:

I will offer one other suggestion; the 4* Hilton Chicago is $224 on Expedia for one of their rooms with 2 bathrooms, and coupon code 10SPRING takes $10 off. That hotel is the closest (it's still a bit of a walk through Grant Park, but it's the closest of the downtown hotels) to the Museum Campus. The Art Institute is also a few blocks North of that hotel. The downside is that, otherwise, there is not much directly around that hotel aside from college campuses and that area is very quiet at night.

The Hotel Sax, which is a well-reviewed boutique right on the river, is $220 on sale on Expedia, but unfortunately that is only for 1 bed. 10SPRING coupon should also work for that.

If this is only for 2 adults, I can also find other/additional suggestions.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

The trip is for 1 adult and 2 kids . . . one child would be willing to sleep on the floor if needed or we could pay extra for a cot . . . that is why I am open to trying to bid on priceline 1st and see if there are still any deals to be had.

Thanks . . .

PS Is the window to rebid 24 hours from previous bid or does it go by calendar day--like I could bid now and then right after midnight?

I have seen your rebid strategies but was unable to find where I could determine what star* ratings were available in different zones so I could rebid more quickly--I'd appreciate any help in locating that

In terms of a PRICELINE bid, are you interested in bidding for both River North-NMA and Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park? What would be your desired max budget per night and star rating?

The Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park area would likely offer a better chance at a 4* win than the River North-NMA area, but I would try bidding for both if you are looking for the best possible deal for these dates. While I would recommend trying for a 4* at the $100 level, a 4* may take as much as $125-150 for these dates.

HOTWIRE doesn't seem to be offering substantial discounts off full rate for these dates, due to likely convention and walk-in traffic.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

PS Is the window to rebid 24 hours from previous bid or does it go by calendar day--like I could bid now and then right after midnight?

I have seen your rebid strategies but was unable to find where I could determine what star* ratings were available in different zones so I could rebid more quickly--I'd appreciate any help in locating that

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

OK . . . I just bid $100 on 4* in North Mich Ave area--rejected

then I added the Milennium Park area 4* and bid $110--rejected

I am willing to stay at 3.5* I would like to bid $100.

If that is rejected, what area can I add that doesn't have 3.5 or 4* hotels so that I can increase my bid?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that your bids were not accepted. :)

The 24 hour period is 24 hours after the failed bid - if you made a specific bid that was not accepted at noon today, you'd have to wait until noon tomorrow.

Please use the service to determine which star ratings are currently (as changes do occur) available/selectable in each bidding zone, then please do ask if you would like help confirming re-bid zones based upon your findings before trying to bid.

I would advise to use caution and double check what is selected when using re-bidding in Chicago, as some of the zones in the Chicago area are not zones I would recommend staying in. Additionally, while the Greater Chicago zone does have bidding available at the 3.5*/4* level, I would not recommend bidding in that zone.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]