Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (UWS) Empire Hotel

samwong
By samwong,
in

We intend to bid for 3.5 star property either in MTE, MTW & CPS. Last year we had a good stay at The Benjamin for $124/- and was wondering whether we could get a 3.5 star property for less than $110/-. Proximity to a subway is a must as that would be our main transportation mode. We dont particularly like TS area. Any advice on strategy would be of a tremendous help. Tks

Your budget seems like it's "in the ballpark" for these dates, but before bidding note that at the 3.5* level the MTE zone contains the Millenium UN, which is a nice hotel, but about a 15 minute walk to the subway which is fine for some but a bit far for others... would this proximity to the subway be close enough for you or would this be too far?

Also, is there a reason you're not including ESB and/or MSG in your bidding, as these usually work out quite well for the typical visitor as well.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the MTE, ESB, and MSG zones based upon the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...BTW would how much should I bid for a 4star for the period just in case.

It's not a "flat number" that we recommend, we suggest bidding strategies which use a combination of the acceptable zones along with gradual increases in price, most of which can be done in the same bidding session. However, it takes time to research and type out, so please determine what you want to try for first (4* in the acceptable zones or a 3.5* in the acceptable zones) and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Got Empire Hotel at $120/- for 7 nights - 7/4 to 7/11. Started wit $100/- with UWS, adding $2 increments for 5 rebid zones up to $114 (failed). Then closed browser add on CPS and UWS, with $2 increment and got Empire Hotel at $120/-

Have read some negative reports on Empire Hotel on Tripadvisor, and appreciate feedback from you.Should I :) ?

Used PRICELINE link, and thanks again for an awesome site!

Congratulations on your success!

As this is the most likely 4* hotel won in this zone, and this is about half price of a conventional booking, i would hope that you're happy with the results. I've never stayed here (but have had drinks at their rooftop bar) and i suspect some of the negative reviews have to do with expectations. NYC is an expensive hotel market, and when paying more guests often expect more, and it's hard to live up to expectations for a $200+ per nite hotel room. For the price you're paying you may ultimately find it's a great deal and a great value, and give the hotel glowing reviews... but if you were paying twice as much (or more) you may have a different view of your experience; this may account for some of the negative reviews you have read.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]