Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Westin River North

verga
By verga,
in

My nephew and his friend (med students) just decided that they would like to attend a conference in Chicago during the 3 day period Nov 29 to Dec 2. They booked their flights already and so they are desperate to find a hotel (3* + or maybe even lower). They are willing to pay a max of up to $150 to $175 per night including taxes (cheaper would be better of course). Price is more important than the star rating and the hotel needs to be close to the city centre or within easy public transport.

Please assist with a bidding strategy and I will bid on his behalf. If they can find something at Hotwire, that'll do too.

Thanks,

Verga

Good (early) morning. :)

If your nephew and his friend are driving, I could find a much better deal than anything downtown in the 'burbs - a very nice hotel in the 'burbs for these dates may be able to be had for as little as $45-55.

I also see a 4* in the Evanston area for $64 on HOTWIRE. While nothing is guaranteed, this is likely the Hotel Orrington, which is right in downtown Evanston. Evanston is a fantastic college town (Northwestern) with very easy access (both Metra and CTA "L" train stations are right nearby) to transit to downtown. If they are driving, this would be an excellent choice. If they are flying in, it would take a while to get to this hotel from the airport, but it would be an excellent choice and a very good deal.

It all depends on how they are getting here in terms of flying or driving. If they are driving, it'll be VERY easy to stay outside the city cheaply and have easy access to downtown. If they are flying in, options are a bit more limited.

________________________________________________________________________________

As for the downtown area:

Rates are pricey downtown (hotels are running at $250/275-350+, I'm guessing due to the conference. While you could attempt to bid $125 for a 3* in either area of downtown (River North-North Michigan Ave or Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park; I'd try River North-NMA first), I think that may have a chance, but I don't think a 4* or 3.5* is going to be realistic, unfortunately - these dates are just too expensive.

If they want a cheaper option and are just looking for a place to sleep, there is a 2.5* in the Lincoln Park-Wrigleyville area on HOTWIRE with smoke-free, breakfast, laundry and internet. This is $89, which would not be a very good discount, but would be the cheapest option in the vicinity of downtown during these dates. In terms of being downtown, I think you're looking at $125 for a 3*, and it may possibly cost as much as $150 (but I'd start at $125.).

The Lincoln Park neighborhood is terrific (lots of restaurants, neat shops, Zoo nearby, etc.), and they would have to walk to the nearest "L" station to take a 15 minute or so trip downtown. If they are looking for a cheap place just to sleep, that would be a fine choice on an otherwise very expensive set of dates.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

$135 is not going to be realistic for these dates, as mentioned above - regular rates are quite high. You should be able to go back and bid for a 3* or 3.5*, although 3* will be more likely at the $125-135 level.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links.

We earlier talked about breaking his stay in 2 segments of 2 nights each - Nov 28-Nov30 and Nov 30-Dec 2.

He tried lastminutetravel.com and he noted that he can get a 3.5* hotel downtown for $134 for Nov 28-Nov30. So, with that in mind and using your PRICELINE link, my nephew tried $140 and $145 for a 3.5 star hotel for 4 days, Nov 28 to Dec 2, but no success. He tried Nov 30 to Dec 2 (2 nights) at $140 and $145 -also no success.

He later checked Hotwire for Nov 28 to Nov 30 (2 nights) and saw $99 for a 4* hotel. With that price, he just booked it and got The Westin Chicago River North which he is very happy about. I am sorry but he forgot to use your HOTWIRE link. He thought I only gave him your PRICELINE link.

He is now looking for 2 nights, Nov 30 - Dec 2. Should I close this thread and open up a new one for Nov 30-Dec 2?

Congratulations on your success.

This is one of the nicest 4*'s in the city. Additionally, while they could say no, I'd strongly recommend they politely ask for a room on the South face of the building, which is the side that faces the river - some of the river view rooms offer spectacular views.

What were the amenities showing for this HOTWIRE listing? It would be greatly appreciated if you could start a new thread for the second half of your stay.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links for future purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

My nephew didn't even bother IDing the hotel - he just booked it because $99 was better than what they were bidding at Priceline. I passed along your suggestion of requesting a South face rooom with a river view.

They are leaning towards booking a 3* hotel with lastminutetravel for Nov 30 to Dec 2 at $159 per night. They think it is the Congress Plaza as it has the same amenities.

Thanks for all your help.

Verga

My nephew did book with lastminutetravel and got the Congress Plaza for $159 + taxes. This afternoon, I checked lastmintuetravel for Nov30-Dec 2 and there was a 4* hotel at $112. I told my nephew to switch booking and luckily, lastminutetravel agreed to waive the $25 cancellation fee as he is re-booking vs. canceling. He got the Crown Plaza - The Metro and he opted to have 2 beds at an additional $44 so the total per night before taxes is $156. I hope Crowne Plaza The Metro is a much better hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]