Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Palm Springs Courtyard by Marriott

heinous
By heinous,
in

Hi! I'm looking for a room for one night in the Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area only. Cannot accept Palm Springs. For some reason, rooms are extremely expensive for that night. Is Palm Desert a big New Year's hotspot?

For example, the Residence Inn PD is showing as $219/night. What should I expect to bid? Since I have the whole month, should I just start trying now?

Thanks!

I think hotels do very well New Year's Eve everywhere. Most have package deals for the nite (reception and room packages) and many also look to just 'get out' and away from home. Hotels are also more centrally located to other celebration venues and people choose to stay there since they can walk to the venue or take an inexpensive cab ride (and thus be able to drink without worries about how they will get home)

Are you strictly looking for the lowest price in the zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm looking for a room for a friend. He has a wedding to attend on the morning of the 2nd, so he just needs a place to stay on the night of the 1st. The wedding is at the Marriott Desert Springs hotel, which is in Palm Desert, so he definitely wants to stay in that area.

I showed him the hotel list, and he wants to stay in the 2.5* range in terms of type of hotel. Cheapest possible price is the objective, since he'll just have paid an ungodly amount to stay in Vegas for NYE.

I figure, since there's plenty of time, I can just start bidding now at the price I want and see what happens. Any advice?

I would probably start about $60 and raise $5-$10 (depending upon your timeframe) each time i needed to bid again. The COURTYARD by MARRIOTT shows at $129/nite so i wouldn't be bidding too much above that... if that's cancellable maybe that's your back-up? (please use the previous link to book if you do)

On a different note... the two zones (Palm Desert and Palm Springs) appear to be very close to each other. If price is the most important criteria, why not bid both zones if it'll save money and potentially only add 10 minutes or so to the morning commute (i don't know the area but am assuming that this is the additional distance that would be required if a hotel in Palm Springs was won).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Didn't win yet, but wanted to post my bidding history:

Bid $65 for Resort in Rancho Mirage, rejected

Added Palm Springs, rejected

Bid $65 for 4* (includes Resorts) in Palm Springs, rejected

Added Rancho Mirage, raised to $68, rejected

Bid $45 for 2.5* in Rancho Mirage, rejected

Added Palm Springs, rejected.

Any suggestions? I know I have a few more bids lefts before the 1st. Will the prices go down closer to my date?

heinous, it seems like the inventory in PS/PD isn't released at most hotels there until closer to arrival date. Be patient, have a back-up (Courtyard in PD is very cool- we've stayed there a few times), and keep trying every 72 hours. I think it'll take more than $68 for a resort, though, especially on a Sat. nite, and a holiday weekend. But you might find that your $45 bid for 2 1/2* will be accepted closer to arrival. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Finally booked the hotel. Looks like rates went down this week.

Bid $45 on a 2.5* hotel, Palm Desert area only, rejected.

Added Palm Springs area, bid $50, accepted:

Courtyard By Marriott Palm Springs

Your Offer Price: $50.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $50.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $13.03

Total Charges: $63.03

Best web rate is $149, so this is a nice deal. I actually wanted the Courtyard Palm Desert, and I was hoping that I'd get it because the rate was lower there ($129). But oh well! Just have to get up 20 minutes earlier. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]