Priceline Hotel: Bidding assistance request

verga
By verga,
in

I need a bidding strategy to book 2 rooms for 4 adults in Downtown Montreal for 1 night (Oct 23 - Oct 24) 3.5* to 4*. I am hoping to get the hotel at $60-$62 before taxes.

I did my first bid today, 4* at $58 (rejected), lowered to 3.5* at $61 (rejected). Should I raise my bid price further? I checked Hotwire and 3.5* hotel price is $79 before taxes.

Is there a bidding strategy that I can follow like the one I recently did for New York?

Thanks,

Verga

It's usually not recommended to lower your star rating and raise your bid simultaneously as you did... see this thread for further details on this subject and feel free to ask any questions you have: If You Lower Your Star Rating then Lower Your Bid Price

Have you been able to identify the 3.5* HOTWIRE hotel? Eash service rates hotels differently, so to make sure you're making an apples-to-apples comparison, you need to make sure that the hotel you believe you're seeing on HOTWIRE is also rated 3.5* on PRICELINE.

As far as a bidding strategy, apparently $61 is not currently enough... how high are you willing to go? What is the best rate you're able to find for an acceptable hotel for this stay? If you're willing to raise your bid, did you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit before lowering and trying up to your limit for 3.5* OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the link - now I have a better understanding of the bidding strategy and I know why we have to close the browser and place a new bid again using a difference zone (zbenye explained it very well).

I checked Hotwire again (3.5* has gone up to $82). I cannot ID the hotel. I was hoping it would be the Hyatt but it says 3/5 rating with 40+ reviews in Tripadvisor (last reviewed July 09), so it can't be the Hyatt.

Here are the amenites:

■A well-known, on-site restaurant

■Large, quality rooms

■Room service

■Health and fitness center

■Business administrative center

My max bid price can go up to $70 to $75 for 3.5* and $80 to $85 for 4* I prefer a lower price at 3.5* but would like to start at 4* with my bids. I have seen sucessful bids of $55 for 3.5* (Hyatt) and I realize that each bid is date-specific so this price may not apply to my date.

I would like to re-bid tonight if possible and close the deal.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Verga

Here are the amenites:

■A well-known, on-site restaurant

■Large, quality rooms

■Room service

■Health and fitness center

■Business administrative center

Those aren't the hotel's amenities, Verga; that's just Hotwire's general description of what their 3.5* hotels "usually" have.

The actual amenities I see are Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business, Spa.

The amenities and TripAdvisor information are consistent with Le Nouvel Hotel, so that would be my guess. This hotel is rated 3* by PRICELINE, which is why you have to be careful about using HOTWIRE to determine what to bid on Priceline; Hotwire rates many hotels higher than Priceline does.

I prefer a lower price at 3.5* but would like to start at 4* with my bids.

This is somewhat contradictory, can you please explain exact what your preference is so we can suggest a strategy that is best inline with your goals.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, at the 3.5* star level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried 4 times since my last post to bid a Montreal hotel with NO success. I used your PRICELINE link -

bid 4* from $75 to $86 in increments of $3, last bid increment of $2

closed browser

bid 3.5* from $68 to $76 in increments of $2

I finally booked 2 cancellable rooms at the 4* Fairmont Elizabeth using a friend's family and friend's booker ID at a rate of CAD$119 + taxes. We will stay in Montreal using this reservation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]