Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* San Francisco (USE) InterContinental

oholiab33
By oholiab33,
in

So I'm new to this forum and to using Hotwire. Thanks to this site, I was able to figure out that 4.5* in USE (Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business, & Internet) should be the new Intercontinental on Howard St, which would be fantastic. I'm just curious now about the price vs the type of room. Is it assumed that the price offered is for the basic, least expensive room listed on the hotel's site, or can I hope that it's for one of the better rooms (bigger, better view, etc)?

If the $125 price is for the standard room that sleeps the correct number of people, I'd only be saving $18 from what's listed on the hotel's site. I'd be better off using the hotel's package deal where we get free parking and breakfast for only a little more.

I'd sure feel more comfortable going with the Hotwire deal if I heard of other people's experiences saying that I really can expect one of the better rooms. I just don't want to feel like it wasn't any kind of deal at all. Thanks.

Welcome to the site.

HOTWIRE and PRICELINE reservations are for a regular, standard room and are not eligible for upgrades. While some people are occasionally lucky enough to bribe (or, better yet, politely ask) their way into an upgrade, these discounted reservations are for a regular room.

What are your dates of travel?

This could be a different, previously unreported hotel, as well. lucky1967, please actually post the details (in a separate thread) if you did get the Palace. Thank you.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Thanks AaronJB,

It's for June 23, checking out the next day on the 24th.

I did read some others' stories about how they probably would have gotten the standard room had they not politely requested an upgrade. I guess you kind of have to though. And maybe it won't be too difficult since it's for our anniversary.

I worked out the totals after taxes and fees and if it's for the standard room, it's only a 9% savings by going through Hotwire over the hotel's site (if I'm correct in concluding it's the Intercontinental). Is that a typical amount of savings? And then after factoring in parking and breakfast on our own, we'll actually be spending more by going through Hotwire than using the hotel's promotion that includes those.

Part of me says it's not worth it unless I know it's an upgraded room, which I don't. But part of me is willing to risk it just to find out. :)

Any other info will be appreciated before I make a decision soon. I'll report back here with any info after I've decided.

Happy anniversary. :)

Now that I look at it, it does appear to be the Intercontinental, as it's showing a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating, which would be a match for the Intercontinental. This would definitely be an unusually small discount for HOTWIRE.

If you do decide to book the Intercontinental through the hotel website, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's link to the Intercontinental website here. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

So despite my better judgment, I went ahead and booked the HOTWIRE price I saw.

$125 for 4.5* Union Square East.

• Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • High-Speed Internet

Like we thought, it is in fact the InterContinental on Howard.

So I called the hotel to check the room type, and it is for only the Standard room with one queen bed. I did put in a request for a king, but it's not guaranteed until check-in. I'll be doing some schmoozing when we get there and I hope it helps that it'll be a mid-week stay. But if it doesn't work out, we'll still be enjoying this fantastic hotel together. But word to the wise, there was a better deal to be had than Hotwire's.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]