Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

Juanjo28
By Juanjo28,
in

Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum and think this it is a great idea!!!!

I need help figuring out how to get the best hotel for the best price for the weekend of Nov 5th to Nov 7th!!!

I'd like to stay at a hotel either in Downtown (embasy suites or Millenium were nice), Midtown (westin, millenium, or other), plus any other suggestions are welcome!!! It will be two of us. I am from NYC so I know the city well but am not too familiar with hotels!!! I'd like to get a pretty nice sized room since I will spend alot of time there.... (so far I was able to call directly to The Bryant Park Hotel and they offered a 250 a night rate for me, but I was looking forward to not going over 215/nt max prefferably and I have no info on this hotel either!!!)

Thanks for the help it will be much appreciated!!!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Having work done on the apartment?

I looked at rates for your dates and they are very expensive. The rate at the Bryant Park doesn't seem too bad, relatively speaking, and here are some REVIEWS of that property.

Would it be too much of a stretch to stay in Jersey City? (i know: where's that?!?! you mean stay on the other side of the river... why would i want to do such a thing? :) ) There is a new Hyatt right on the river with beautiful views of the NYC Skyline, rates probably aren't dirt cheap for those nites, but it's sure to be less expensive than the city.

Let us know if that is an option, and if so, how much you would need to save (per nite) in order to resort to staying in NJ (don't worry... we won't tell your friends). Based upon your reply we'll suggest a strategy to move forward.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply!!! Actually my girlfriend is visiting and we need a place we can share without the constant interruptions from roomates (its our 2 year anniversery). We would definitely prefer being in the city because we will be going to a restaurant and a show that weekend(go yankees)!!!! I wanted to use priceline since it seems like it works well for alot of people. My only requirement is that the hotel be for 225 a night or so (I know the standard rates for the Millenium is 299 and 329 for the embassy suites also I figure worst comes to worse I will go to the Marriot over by the Bk Bridge that is going for 250 a night)... We dont need the best or most luxurious (esp cuz i cant afford it with all the money I spent already, and I just wish I could kick my roomates out for the weekend and save a buck), just some room , cleanliness, and some comfort. Any help and advice would be appreciated!!!!!

Just to add on to this....

If there is no way of me gatting something for $225 I will definitely consider Jersey City but I would like to give Priceline or any advice you have to give first (they are alot cheaper there the cheapest internet rates I find for any hotels is 250 online; Marriot by BK Bridge, Bryant Park, southgate towers and others of simmiliar class/style/location)...

I think this will be tough, but hopefully you'll surprise us!

Assuming MTE, MTW, UM/CPS, and LM are all acceptable, this is how i would proceed:

You have 2 re-bids at the 4* level, if you're not familiar with re-bidding please give PRICELINE REBIDDING EXPLAINED a read and feel free to ask any questions you may have (or just confirm your re-bid zones with us if you are unsure).

Select 4* Lower Manhattan...

Bid $175, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $185, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $195, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone #1 and...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone #2 and...

Bid $225.

If the above is rejected and if you want to try for a 3* property, you have one re-bid zone available at the 3 star level and i would....

Select 3* Lower Manhattan and...

Bid $175, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $185, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $195, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $225.

As a side note, the Marriott that you are refering to above is not the Downtown Marriott... it is the Marriott in Brooklyn. For $249/nite i would sooner try for Jersey City... the Hyatt is a great property, on the weekend the area will be extremely quiet (although this may be a detriment if you are looking for a 'lively' area), and the lobby bar would provide for a great time for you to relax and take in the view with your girlfriend.

If it came to booking the Brooklyn MARRIOTT at $249/nite, the Millenium Hilton does have a non-refundable internet rate of $254/nite (which would be very similar in price to a $225/nite acceptance above after Priceline's fee)... and the Embassy Suites 'regular' rate of $329/nite is not available as that hotel is sold-out for your weekend.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding any of the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you go to the Hilton website and click 'View Rates' (on the splash page it will say 'from $299/nite' but click it anyway). In th second bracket you will see "net direct rates. non-refundable" and under there is listed a $254/nite rate.

I'm not pushing Jersey City and you would know better what works best for your plans, but just as a point of reference, i believe you could be successful there for somewhat under $200/nite, so the savings would be over $100 for the weekend (but then again you're not in the city).

Let us know if we can be of more help and how it goes.

Great!!! I looked on Quickbook and saw reasonable prices for these three hotels: Southgate Tower at 209 a night, Carlton on Madison for about 225 average, and Wall Street Inn at about 200 I think. Are these okay hotels in your opinion or anybody else who has been there? I have read too many mixed reviews and wanted honest opinion based on the prices. thanks again, you guys rock!!!

I have not heard of any of them, but then again, i tend to stick to name brand/chain properties (and like yourself, i typically have no need for a room in NYC).

Here are some reviews on each:

Southgate Tower

The Carlton

Wall Street Inn

You can expect to find mixed reviews of just about every hotel.. some people don't expect much while others expect too much.

Without knowing any of them, i would probaby tend to avoid the Wall Street Inn simply based upon location... can be hard to get a cab down there on the weekend and subway service can be spotty as well.

If you decide to book any of the above please use the board's affiliate link to QUICKBOOK.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Wow, I have really bad luck!!!!!!!! I finally decided I could splurge and get the deal from the Millenium Hilton, but it turns out as soon as I wake up to check it this morning I see it is no longer there!!!! The Brooklyn Bridge Marriot is no longer there either!!!!! I dont own a car so Jersey city would be inconvenient (at least there are trains by the BK Bridge Marriot)!!! What can I do now... Is priceline my only option now and now that the situation is pretty bleek any and all help is welcome!!! Thanks!!!!

The advantage of Jersey City is that all of the hotels that have been reported are right near a PATH station, so no car is needed. That is what makes them such a good alternative to NYC.... depending upon which hotel you receive (and which PATH station you are near), you can be in downtown Manhattan in 7 minutes and midtown in 17 minutes).

If that's your best option let us know and i'll advise on how to proceed.

REALLY???? Thats less time than it takes me to get to work :) Are path trains expensive and are they accesible throughout the night (this is my main concern since we will go see the LION KING that weekend and dinner afterwards). You guys are really awesome, I'd like to know what I can do since at this moment I cant afford anything in the city currently showing (last minute deals will not be good ideas I am guessing)

The good news is that the PATH:

$1.50 each way

run 24/7 (up to every 5-7 minutes during rush hour, every 15-20 minutes on the weekend up until 2am)

The bad news:

All of the Jersey Hotels in the area are now sold-out too :)

Give me a day to think about this one some more.

As an update.....

I reserved the Southgate Towers (for now) at about $209 using Quickbook. I was upset that when I called the hotel, they told me they had a room at $189 for friday but nothing for saturday... I therefore went with Quickbook (although I thought of simply just getting the on on friday for 189 and the one on saturday for 209 from quick book was not sure if it was worth the confusion)....

I tried priceline (up to $215) but did not get any positive results from it, unfortunately.... I will try again since my reservation is not prepay (I actually am still trying to see if I can get anything at the Regency in Jersey City)... I'm not familiar with quickbook, if I change or cancell a reservation do they still charge a service fee?????

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to say names of other websites but I found a website simmiliar to hotwire that had alot of deals and available hotel rooms.... of course I am a little unsure of this....I will PM the administtrator with my questions since I do not want to violate any rules (not sure if its a rule or not)

I replied to JuanJo28 and i'm sure he'll post here too, but for anyone that is curious in the meantime the site in question was lastminutetravel.com, which as many of you know we are already an affiliate with.

I'd ask all of our users to take a look in their spare time (it will only take a minute) and familiarize themselves with the sites that we are affiliated with on our SUPPORT page. If the suport page is not in a conspicuous enough place or the format of the page makes it difficult to see/find specific sites, please PM me with any suggestions you may have to improve it.

Thanks.

Hey everybody. Right now, I booked southgate towers at 209 (studio suite, not prepay) using Quickbook. It was weird because when I called the hotel they said they didnt have any saturdays, but did have a Friday for $189 (which is less than the 209!!!). I would still like to try to get something better, but at the moment, for this weekend there is none. Any tips on ANY options is helpful (also is this 189 go agains the lowest price guarantee? and should I book the first night direct and the next through quickbook if not.....) any help always nice to get...

Well the Hyatt in Jersey City is once again showing availability on their website... sold-out for the 6th, but availability if you search the 5th-7th (rate of $219/nite)... Hotwire shows (what is believed to be) this property at $195/nite.

I would try a 3* Jersey City bid at $37 for 11/5-11/7. Not likely to get anything, but definately worth a shot given that this hotel has been known to have some strange pricing/availability at times and that they're now showing availability for the weekend when it was earlier showing a sold-out condition.

Let us know how it goes.

My only concern now I guess would be is...... Is there a chance of me getting something not the Hyatt in Jersey city at the 3* level?????? WIll I possibly be stuck with a "crappier" place if I do get it or is it relatively safe to do so based on the amenities/info?????

Thank YOU!!!!! By the way!!!!!!!!

Before bidding high like that you may want to ask if it's advisable... your strategy is actually what "safe" isn't. The bidding amounts suggested are picked not only to try to get the best price, but also to avoid other unknown possible properties.

To stay in NJ how much would you have to save over your $209 Southgate rate? (or would the same price at a 3* NJ hotel be enough to have you stay in NJ)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]