Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (Chelsea) Wyndham Garden Chelsea West

sip_99
By sip_99,
in

Hi...

I'll be in NYC between sept 23 to Oct 2, 2009. Is it too early to be bidding? Should I wait...and if so, how long?

Also, i'm thinking it'll be harder for me to bid for the entire period of time...thus most likely I'll have to break it up into 2 bids.

For this time period...any suggestions as to where I should start? I hoping to get something at $100 max, and preferably below. I'd be willing to settle for a 2* if necessary.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome back!

Rates for your complete stay are sky high comparing to your budget. The only hotels that fit the bill is the airport hotels.

I think you should start with looking how you can can split this stay. It's hard to adivce you when the board don't know your prefered zone(s). You need to stay in the city?

HOTWIRE is a good indicator when it comes to price. You can use HOTWIRE to search for diffrent periods/zones for your stay.

Post back with your thoughts.

Yellowdog.

$100 is difficult in the Fall and, as you mentioned, 9 days back-to-back creates an issue with bidding. However, as yellowdog mentioned, a $100 win for Midtown NYC seems unlikely for these dates, given how high prices are. The airport/jersey hotels may be in your budget range, but that would require traveling in and out of the city each day (which does cost time and money.)

I'd be willing to settle for a 2* if necessary.
I'd also advise against this option in NYC... while some 2* hotels in NYC you might find acceptable, there are some you likely would not, and with PRICELINE you can't choose which type you will get :)

What is the purpose of this visit... is a 'touristy' trip?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In fact nyc in autumm is more expensive. Last year I have payed a priceline price I found very expensive for Novotel by november, while in March I got better deals easily. Back in the day, when I travelled with more tight budgets, I have used YMCAs and had decent stays, better than many 2* hotels around. The bathroom outside the room was an issue, but they were big, clean and you could lock them while you use them, what prevents you from any collective experiences. Plus, the YMCAs have very good locations, one at Central Park West and 62th st and the other in midtown east.

• 1 month later...

Hi....I'm just transferring my post from my topic started in Priceline-New Jersey...

So, some developments...and we've adjusted our BUDGET slight to a max of about $125/night... :)

Again, my wife and I are heading to NEW YORK for the first time this September, travel dates: sept 23 - oct 1 (not oct 2)

We've already successfully bid on the following on PRICELINE for SEPT 23-SEPT 27: (unfortunately, it hit at my first bid of $100!) tongue.gif

Westin Jersey City Newport 4 Star

For 4 nights at $100.

This covers our FIRST FOUR DAYS of our trip to NY.

Our friends suggested that this is the cheaper option than staying right in Manhattan, and I would definitely agree.

Our strategy (although not FIRM) is to stay in Jersey City for 4 nights to save $$$, then perhaps stay in manahattan for the latter 4 days of our trip.

2 Points:

1) Obviously we'll be taking the PATH to get to say, 33rd street in Manhattan from the Pavonia/Newport Station station that's pretty much 5 min walk from the westin into Manhattan (14 min trip).

With a successful $100 bid (with the priceline offer of extending this stay)... we're torn between considering staying at the WESTIN for the full 8 days of our trip and give up staying in Manhattan (but have to live with a 30 MIN ROUND TRIP daily to our 4* hotel), versus staying in manhattan for the remaining 4 days of our trip.

2) Why I'm considering to stay at the Westin for the full 8 days is because we've already attempted to bid for 4* in ALL of the possible 4* areas together (CPS, SOHO, Empire, MTE, MTW, TS, UWS)

for Manhattan for the period of Sept 27-Oct 1st, at a max bid of $140 for a 4* in the last couple of days...and NO SUCCESS.

Thus most likely we're looking at bids of OVER $140 for these 4 days, totaling $670 for nights (MOST LIKELY MORE) with taxes.

Is the $200-$350 EXTRA we'd be paying for 4 nights (maybe more!...compared to 4 extra nights in the WESTIN in Jersey city) worth it to stay IN manhattan and not to take the PATH to Jersey city daily? (Note again, it's our first time in NY)

We'll be doing the general tourist routes and sites...and would like to the keep the expenses reasonable (for accomodation). I personally wouldn't like to spend more than $125/night on a room.....I'd consider going down in * class to suit that constraint, but again, we're not sure what quality/cleanliness we'd be sacrificing, as we're not familiar with the hotels at all.

On my other post in Priceline-New Jersey.....located at:

Priceline Jersey City Westin

Thanks to AaronJB and thereuare for your comments......we'll continue to research.

Given that you're already staying in Jersey City for 4 nites i do think you should stay in Manhattan for the other 4 nites (or if that would stretch your budget too thin try for one additional nite in Jersey City and 3 in Manhattan), even if it means lowering your star level for the NYC leg of your stay (but wouldn't lower it too much). While Jersey City is a good alternative to NYC, you do lose much of the "NYC vibe" that makes the city so special, and you'll also likely tire of the commute near the end of your trip if you stay in JC for the entire time.

Are you flying into down? If so, which airport and what time is your depature flight?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi....thanks again for your help so far...

Yah...we're leaning in the direction of your suggestions....we're on the path now to stay in manhattan for the remaining 4 nites.

We leave on Oct 1st in an early evening flight (7pm) out of JFK. (Thus coming in and going out...we're also strategizing about how to get to and fro JFK and Jersey City, and then Manhattan to JFK), but there's a few posts on this board (and elsewhere on the net) that we'll investigate on this topic....

In anycase, we're not too picky of where to stay in manhattan at the moment, as we believe that MTA is good in NYC and thus getting around isn't too much of a snag (in addition to walking). However, based on some suggestions we've gotten so far, downtown SOHO is probably not preferable, and essentially staying in midtown, south central and even perhaps madison/convention centre or empire state area and chelsea are all doable. But what are your thoughts?

My initial strategy is that, since we can get to 33rd or to WTC from the PATH from JC pretty easily for our first four days, is to do and visit everything south of 33rd street for the first four days (including staten island, statue of liberty, south manhattan etc) while staying in jersey...then for PART deux of our trip...do anything we have time for north of 33rd street....thus staying anywhere in madison Square area and north of that would be doable. And yes..I believe you had asked about if this is a 'touristy trip'....yep..it IS! :)

In anycase, we're prepared to start bidding (via YOUR LINKS!! :):)) for NYC hotels, with a budget of around $125-$130/night (w/o tax) for those areas mentioned above. What would be your thoughts on a good strategy? (Star class, preferably 2.5 and up)....

Thank you!

My initial strategy is that, since we can get to 33rd or to WTC from the PATH from JC pretty easily for our first four days, is to do and visit everything south of 33rd street for the first four days (including staten island, statue of liberty, south manhattan etc) while staying in jersey...then for PART deux of our trip...do anything we have time for north of 33rd street....thus staying anywhere in madison Square area and north of that would be doable.
On the weekends it's actually going to be easier to get to midtown than Downtown from the Westin unless you want to walk (or take the LightRail) to the Exchange Place station. Also, you dont' need to be so rigid in your plans, trying to target all of South Manhattan in 4 days and then all of North Manhattan in other 4 days may seem good on paper, but Manhattan isn't so big that you can't start North one day and end up South at the end of the day (you just want to avoid going back-forth-back-forth all day long). Not sure what you intend to do in Staten Island unless you're just roundtripping the ferry but not really much to do there. Also, the Statue of Liberty can be a whole day affair, and you can probbly save some time taking the ferry from Jersey City instead of Battery Park, but requires a 'moderate' walk from where the light rail drops you off (and isn't the best of areas)
In anycase, we're prepared to start bidding (via YOUR LINKS!! :):)) for NYC hotels, with a budget of around $125-$130/night (w/o tax) for those areas mentioned above. What would be your thoughts on a good strategy? (Star class, preferably 2.5 and up)....
I'd re-think a 2.5* rated property in Manhattan... this far ahead of your stay i'd sooner recommend sticking with at least a 3 star (possibly even 3.5*)

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Hi....

We started with with selecting 3 star in MTE: For sept 27- oct 1, 2009

First bid: $95...no good

2nd Bid: Added Central Park South.....$105....no good

3rd Bid: Added Empire State area.....$110....no good

4th Bid: Added Madison Square Garden area.....$115....no good

5th Bid: Added MTW......$122.....no good

6th Bid: Added Chelsea....$127....SUCCESS!

It's a 3 star...with moderately good reviews....

Thanks to AaronJB and thereuare for your help and comments.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]