Hotwire Hotel: 3* Portland (Northwest-Goose Hollow) La Quinta Northwest

norskie
By norskie,
in

We wanted to be in the neighborhood of NW Portland -- we stay there frequently. Decided to go the Hotwire route. VERY disappointed to get the La Quinta. It is NOT a 3 star hotel. No other hotel site lists them above 2 star and they are AAA 2 star. I guess the hotwire star rating is based simply on the amenities in this case. We know the property and friends have stayed there. It is in an industrial area. Terrible reviews on Tripadvisor. We were hoping for the Silver Cloud which is quite nice and much closer to the retail/restaurant NW neighborhood.

Amenities listed:

breakfast

fitness

pool

internet

It is only one night and not the end of the world. But, just curious, is there ever an "appeal" on the Hotwire star rating of a property?

Sorry to hear about your experience with Hotwire. If you go to the General Hotwire Tips forum, you'll find posts from other people who have been in your situation. You might find this particular Hotwire post, from a member who received a refund after challenging HOTWIRE's rating, useful; it sounds like you've gathered much of the evidence already.

However, the best time to do your research is before you purchase, not after. A quick check of the Silver Cloud Portland's amenities page shows that the Silver Cloud does not have a swimming pool. Also, HOTWIRE's vacation packages lists the following amenities for the Silver Cloud: Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness, Business, Laundry, High-speed Internet. While I have seen listings on Hotwire hotel searches where the hotel did not include all the amenities shown on its VP listing, I have not seen a case where the hotel listing showed amenities that were not on its VP listing.

If you're not sure of a hotel's identity, it's a good idea to ask for assistance. There are many people on this board who can help you.

thanks Tilepusher for the feedback. I composed my earlier message quickly and I see that I should have left out the references to the Silver Cloud. True that the amenities didn't fit.

My point really was my disappointment in having to stay in what I know is a 2 star hotel. Surprised Hotwire would "upgrade" it to 3*.

Better to use Hotwire and betterbidding to get a great price on a 4 or even 5 star location. Live and learn. This is just a quick college road trip with our son. Next time.

Post-trip update:

This particular La Quinta was not a good match for us and if you are in Portland to enjoy Portland, do not stay here. If you just need a place to sleep, it might be OK. The area is VERY industrial and the din from the trucks and I believe, a recycling station, was constant. The overall quality of the room and furnishings was poor and many little items were broken, etc. -- NOT at all worthy of a 2.5 or 3 star. The pool and hot tub were closed -- posted with a "sorry for the inconvenience" note. The internet signal (wifi) would bring you back to the days of dial-up. You are not walking distance to the NW 23rd area fun.

Interestingly, when we got home, I had an email from Hotwire saying that they had downgraded the hotel to 2.5* and giving me a $25 credit. I hadn't even complained yet -- perhaps they read betterbidding (joking). I still plan on contacting them.

Luckily, the rest of our trip was good and we enjoyed the accommodations in all the other towns we visited.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]