Hotwire Hotel: Hotel / Area Recommendation in Chicago, first time visit

belliez
By belliez,
in

Hi,

My wife and I are flying from the UK into Chicago at the end of Sept for and have 2 days before we start our cross country route 66 roadtrip. Can anyone suggest an area which would be great for sightseeing and possibly suggest some hotels that can be found on Hotwire etc?

Not fussed about hotel facilities but one that is clean, highly recommended on trip advisor would be great.

I hope you dont mind me asking here but never being to Chicago before I dont know what areas are good/bad.

By the way, I dont think we will get the rental car until we leave 2 days later for our roadtrip.

Thank you

Welcome to the site. :)

To provide assistance, we need exact dates of travel and budget.

I wouldn't take tripadvisor reviews into too serious consideration, given the fact that you are going to be using discount services - the room that someone may not have exceeded someone's expectations for $150-200 may be more appealing to you if you're paying half that or less.

If you stay downtown, either of the two main areas - the Loop (South of the River) or the Mag Mile area (downtown North of the River) are fine, although the Mag Mile area stays more active at night.

I don't know what prices look like on your dates, but another - possibly cheaper - option would be to rent a car when you get here and stay in the suburbs. You could drive to the nearest train and take the train into the city each day. You could stay SW of the city so that when you leave, you would be already ahead, since you have to head out that way anyways. That's just another option to consider - the suburbs are quite nice.

Thanks for your quick reply.

We are looking for a hotel for Wed 30th Sept through to Fri 2nd Oct (2 nights).

Pricewise we are not too fussed but we woudl like something nice to start our holiday would be great if we can get a hotel for less than $100 / night but we are flexible and if it is a bit more and we have a better location etc then its worth paying extra.

Good thinking about staying SW and renting the car, never thought of that! I was thinking that we could save the cost of car hire for two days while we are in the city as I imagine that the city is not too car friendly (busy) and quite expensive especially if the hotel doesn't offer free parking then could work out more than the cost of car hire! However, this is why I am asking for some advice :)

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks again.

regards

Paul

Option 1: Downtown w/o car (rent car after)

I see a 4* in the North Michigan Ave/Water Tower/Gold Coast area on HOTWIRE for $139. This would be the cheapest downtown option on these dates showing on the service.

The Seneca Hotel is $103 on Orbitz.com. This is a more basic 2.5* property and it does get a few mixed reviews, but it is well-located.

You could also attempt bidding on PRICELINE for a 4* in either the River North/North Michigan Ave. area or the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. However, based upon prices, I'm not sure you'll be able to get something under $100. I'd start at $90. If that doesn't work, try $95; if that doesn't take, try $100. You have quite a bit of time, so you can work at it. Given the amount of time you do have, I wouldn't go too high with the bidding this far in advance.

Option 2: SW burbs (car, then train downtown.)

There is a 4.5* hotel in the Oakbrook/Downers Grove/Lombard area for $72, and a 3* in the same area for $49.

The train ride into the city, depending on the station, would be about 50 minutes. It would, however, be a very nice ride on the Metra train line.

________________________________________________________________________________

___

Overall, given the price difference, you may not find it worthwhile to stay in the suburbs, but I thought I'd at least list the details of that option.

Please use the site's links to HOTWIRE, PRICELINE and Orbitz.com, and please do ask if you have any questions.

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated and something I will mull over tonight and the next few weeks. I think I would prefer a central city location as having your hotel nearby is always beneficial if got shopping and want to freshen up before going out in the evening.

Off subject, Do you know if there are any car rental sites similar HOTWIRE / PRICELINE? Or a decent car hire company that allows one-way hire? I'ved used Obitz for car hire before so I will take a look there. Just concerned because when I flew to LA last year I hired a car for two days at the start and the end of our RV holiday and the car was an old clapped out thing which I wouldn't like to spend 3 weeks in! (I imagine if they hire for longer than 2 days they will give a newer car maybe!).

Thanks again.

Paul

Hi Belliez,

We will also drive Route 66 in September, start in Chicago, drop off in LA. Perhaps I can help with your question about the rental car.

You could check www.usareisen.de/mietwagen and look at the offers for National. The site is in German, but it is easy to navigate your way round. The red rates (super-inklusiv-plus) have all insurances included, extra drivers and the first tank of petrol. I'm not German myself, but we had no problem booking our car there (we rented a midsize SUV).

They have incredible rates for their cars, and National has the extra benefit that you only pay 250$ drop fee (all other companies will charge you 500$ for a one-way rental from Chicago to LA). If you book your car in Europe, you are also sure that all necessary insurances are included. It might be that Orbitz does not include them all for Europeans and that you have to pay extra at the counter.

http://www.carhire3000.com/ might be another option, but then you would have to contact the site to make sure you get National.

If you have questions, please let me know.

• 2 months later...

Hi there again,

I've been looking at car hire today and about to make a booking and noticed that the one-way fee is not included in the rental.

I phone CarHire3000 and Alamo both charge $500 extra on rental pickup.

Do you know if www.usareisen.de includes the one-way fee?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]