Priceline Hotel: 5* Bangkok (Sukhumvit) Westin Grande

LHFlyer
By LHFlyer,
in

First bid Sukhumvit $60 - rejected. I then tried to get the Shangri-La for $65 - no dice either. Suk+Silom 70 - rejected again. I wasn't quite sure whether to take the Novotel Lotus for $40 or try for the JW $75 - decided on JW and was extremely surprised and pleased to get the Westin, my fav hotel in BKK. Hopefully they haven't upped their $60 weekend rate though... Westin.com showed no king beds available so I assume it is quite full.

Later sent them an email about room preferences as usual - got a reply in 38 minutes confirming king bed and non smoking room - I just love this hotel...

Anybody know how PL decides the hotel if two hotels have the same rate? I am pretty sure JW had 75 avail too since their published rate was only $95.

Congrats to the Westin. Had similar problems to get the Shangri-La for the next weekend in the "western" Pricelines.. so finally got lucky in Priceline HK. Strange! Seems to me the inventories of Priceline US and Hutchison-Priceline are really not identical all the times.

I've read somewhere on a board (this one?) that Priceline usually gives that hotel which price level (on priceline) is nearest to your offer... - which might be confessed by the usual experience to get the Banyan Tree instead of the Sha-La if you bid near to 100 USD, b. ex. (of course, only if both hotels have priceline vacancies during that time). But if, by ex. JW and Westin have the same minimum amount for the same booking day, then I don't know which one scores... maybe only decided by a random generator ;-)

Have a nice stay too in Bkk this weekend!

That's interesting about Asia vs Western Priceline. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. But I'm trying to rack up Asiamiles via eBay, thus using the US version. I'd love to try the Banyan Tree at some point but don't want to risk overbidding for the SL.

I heard that they give the higher rate as well, just curious because i'm almost certain that the JW would have $75 inventory with such a low published rate. Perhaps JW is converted from THB, thus 74.20 or something? Just an idea. Westin's "check folio" said PL had paid THB2514 last time.

Have a great stay too.

...well perhaps it was just a technical problem and the JW Marriott server was stuck or something (however I don't know how it's technically done or how often the room quantities "given" to priceline are updated).. or they sell these hotels first for which they have a larger quantity of (PL-)rooms available.. We will probably never know ;-) - but on the other side, all this imponderableness ("Unwaegbarkeiten" in German) make every PL offer in some way thrilling too ;-)

Personally, I think the Banyan Tree Bkk is some way overrated... the only thing that makes Banyan Tree extraordinary is the great view from the rooms. Ok, all rooms are suites, but with sizes of 48sqm for the Standard suites, it's not such a large difference to the Deluxe rooms at the SGS. I don't have to stay there again. However I have never been to the Sha-La yet, will be my first stay there now next weekend. I am curious.

Thanks LHFlyer, indeed I joined the Golden Circle Club already some time ago. I wanted a balcony room in the main wing (heared that Krung Thep wing can be someway loud on the balcony due to near Thaksin bridge). They offered me Dlx balcony room for 15++ USD plus which I took. I was considering Horizon Club room too (50++ USD surcharge indeed; 100++ for Horizon Premier) but decided against it as I usually don't use the lounges a lot. So I think it's not worth for me. And the Dlx Balcony room has 40sqm (not sure if they include the balcony size there) while Horizon Club rooms seem to have "only" 34sqm something.

By the way, they told me that now ALL rooms seem to be completely renovated by now.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]