Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) InterContinental

urbanize
By urbanize,
in

Hey everyone!

I am new to the site. My husband and I have booked a flight to Chicago, and we need a hotel room for 2/29 to 3/2. I did bid on Priceline today. 4 star $55 North Michigan Avenue, then 4 star $60 NMA and MP, and finally 3 star $65 NMA and MP. All of these were rejected. It looks like HOTWIRE has the Intercontinental for $84. I was hoping to pay less than that. I am a bargain shopper to the highest degree.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what part of Chicago we should stay? We want to be close to public transportation as we won't have a car, and a few of the places we want to visit are the Field Museum and Chinatown. My husband has never been to a big city, so I think we'd like to be in the middle of it all. Any advice on hotels, as well as things to do, places to eat, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The Intercontinental could really not be a more perfect location; you're right in the middle of the Michigan Ave. shopping area (while maybe not your thing if you're not into shopping, it's a very nice area to be in) and an easy walk to some Loop attractions such as Millennium Park or the Art Institute.

While I definitely understand being a bargain shopper, the Intercontinental for $84 is certainly a bargain. Plus, it's a uniquely Chicago hotel with a long and - I think - fascinating history. If you want to go to the Field, you can take a bus that runs out front of the Intercontinental, or if you want to go to Chinatown, it's not a far walk to a subway station. My only note about Chinatown is that I would go right there and right back and not wander, as while Chinatown is fine, some of the areas around it aren't as great.

Intercontinental history (with some pictures): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterContinental_Chicago

More Intercontinental history (more pics) from the hotel's website: http://www.icchicagohotel.com/history/history.cfm

I've not done the research for events this year but in 2006 and 2007 the Hyatt on Wacker (MP-Loop) about a block off Michigan Ave on the river was won a lot for ridiculously low prices. Last year for many dates in February and March the Hyatt went as low as $45 a night. Those days may be gone but I'd keep trying the MP-Loop area with a back up, cancellable reservation if you are determined to pay less. This year the Hyatt is being won for $60 and up.

Truth to tell to stay directly on Michigan Avenue I would pay the extra on Hotwire if I could afford it. The Intercontinental is a great location at any price less than $100. Family members had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt in mid March 07 for $45 a night. Having a birds eye view from a warm hotel room of the river being dyed green on St. Patrick's day was an unforgettable experience. Still I prefer the Intercontinental's location any other day of the year. Not that anything in the area is that far away but when we were there in March it was bitter cold and walking any distance was not fun as none of us had winter parkas with us. My family is from Florida, nuff said.

Of course bidding MP-Loop could put you in a hotel that is a bit further away but again nothing is inaccessible in the area although certain areas may be quieter than others after dark. If you pick up a 3 day Visitor's Transit Pass (about $12) before you leave the airport (only available at the airport and CTA headquarters) you'll be set. You will have inexpensive transfers to and from the airport via the train and short hops to different attractions via bus or train. Taxi fare was also reasonable within the Loop and Michigan Ave. area. We relied on public transportation and the Visitor's Pass so did not feel guilty taking a bus a few blocks to get out of the weather. With the Visitor's Pass we did not have to worry about cost. When we could drag the kids out of American Girl Place we took the bus to Navy Pier, to see Wicked, to the Art Museum and Sears Tower as well as to and from the Airport with little stress. Do map out the wheel chair accessible stations if you have luggage or strollers when commuting to or from the airport. One transfer put us walking down a long tunnel then upstairs. We avoided this the next trip.

I've been back three times since March and stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Ave, the 4Points Sheraton (right around the corner from the Marriott) and the Omni a bit north on Michigan Ave. all non Priceline/Hotwire stays because I wanted a particular conference location or got a good price direct and there was the fact that the dollars were not coming out of my pocket.

I've found scanning earlier posts helpful to get a feel for an area on this board. Have a great trip.

Thank you everyone for your input! I think I'll go ahead with the Intercontinental. It's my husband's birthday trip, so I want everything to be wonderful. We can afford anything under $100, I was just holding out for less. $84 is wonderful for a great location and 4 star hotel. I can't wait to go!

Thanks,

Alyssa

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]