Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W New York

Hollandjack
By Hollandjack,
in

I'm looking for 2 rooms in a 4* hotel for 2 nights.

3/22/08 - 3/24/08. I know I'm probably much too early but I'm just curious what the strategy will be.

This is a pre-cruise stay so I'm looking for somewhere to shop for nice clothes (Saks I heard was a good place) and do some last minute stop to buy drinks and tidbits for the kids. We are all first time NY visitors.

Which zones would be suitable for us? Help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I would think that MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS should work fine for you, just as it does for more visitors to the city. I wouldn't worry about being 'near the Saks, Bloomingdales, Macy's, etc' of the world as any should just be a short bus, subway, or taxi ride away.

What is your maximum bid for this stay? Are you ready to begin bidding now?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You shouldn't use wins from a year ago to determine bidding this year. Rates are date specific (there could be something happening in the city this year for your dates which didn't take place at the same time last year) and the hotel market is much stronger this year than last year (as it has been progressively getting). While the same winning bids may be seen, a more realistic approach would be to base your maximum bid off of the best deal you can get outside of the opaque providers (discounting that amount somewhat based upon the 'unknown' factor). Since you have so much time we'll start with your $120 figure...

At the 4* level in NYC you have two re-bid zones avaiable. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

I woudln't bid higher this far in advance, but do try to find a cancellable back-up in the meantime just to protect yourself from rates going higher and you not having a hotel.

Use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search as well as the links in our support page

PS- i did find the Affinia Manhattan for $214/nite thru GTA Hotels... but you'll need to start their booking process to see if it is fully cancellable or not (they state "the vast majority of our rooms are cancellable, but the actual terms of each hotel will be seen during the check-out process)

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking for 2 rooms in a 4* in NYC for 3/1-3/8. I have started bidding on Priceline using re-bidding techniques but have gotten to $154 with no result. Is it simply too early to be bidding? I secured a cancelable back-up at The Barclay (supposed to be nice) just in case. If it is too early to start bidding, when should I start? I can stay anywhere in Midtown that is 4 star.

cbbowling

• 1 month later...
I just checked the offer and it was 279 usd non cancel.
Which is why you should book a cancellable back-up when suggested... rates do change (and can go higher). Since it's cancellable, you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

If you use this link to Quickbook and sort the rates by price.. you'll see the Affinia Dumont available for a cancellable $219/nite (there is another room class for $219/nite which is non-cancellable)

The Affinia Dumont is one of the highest rated hotels in NYC and i'm sure you'll be happy there.

The question now is... since most Priceline hotels would be rated lower (in terms of user reviews) how much would you need to save to make a 4* hotel on Priceline worthwhile? I think rates will come down between now and March so i certainly wouldn't be bidding more than $150 at this time, but eventually (if you're not successful) you'll need to make a decision as to how much you're willing to bid, given the value of the Affinia Dumont (it's a great price for this property, but if price/budget is important, you may (likely) be able to find a 4* hotel on priceline for less)

What are your thoughts in regards to the above?

--Do you think the average 4* I could win at bidding is better or worse than the affinia dumont?--

Almost certainly worse, although maybe not much worse, as there are some very nice 4*'s in Midtown (although some not-as-nice ones, too.).

The Affinia is rated #4 out of 338 hotels in NYC on tripadvisor and the Affinia often goes for 2 (or sometimes nearly 3) times what you are paying for it on busier dates. The benefits of the Affinia also include kitchens in the rooms and the fact that the smallest rooms are slightly bigger than the average NYC room.

This is the Expedia.com description for the smallest (studio) room: One king bed with down or non-allergenic comforter, feather-down pillows, pillow menu. 312 square feet. Small, fully equipped kitchen with four-burner range, microwave, full-size refrigerator provisioned as minibar. Leather-topped desk with ergonomic chair, cordless phone. High-speed Internet access (surcharge). Reading chair/ottoman. TV with pay movies, video games (surcharge). CD player/clock radio. Umbrella. Marble-floor bathroom with shower/tub, phone, Aveda toiletries. Nonsmoking.

However, if you want to keep under that price, that's understandable.

• 3 months later...

Congratulations on your win!

The 'problem' with this hotel is that:

1) it's expensive

2) rooms are very small

As we often say on the board, it's all about value. When hotel guests pay upwards of $300/nite, they expect something opulent and service levels to be impeccable... unfortunately at this property what they often get is a extremely small room and other high expenses throughout the hotel (ie- bars, restaurants, etc) and they are often left disappointed.

Have realistic expectations going into it regarding the size of the room, and if you can overlook that, i think you'll be quite happy with this hotel for the price you paid.

Let us know your thoughts upon your return.

Enjoy your stay.

Oh no...

I don't mind the high price...since I never paid for it and I don't mind the size of the small rooms.

What gives me a creepy feeling are the pictures they post on Tripadvisor, the rooms look so worn. I'm more worried about the cleaniness and hygiene and also the potential dangers of those loose hanging wires and tiles.

And also it is ranked so low on the Tripadvisor, it is the worst W hotel in New York. I'm sure the price factor is a reason that gives it a low rating but W hotel should at least be up to par with the basics like cleaniness and hygiene.

Oh well, we'll see...

Thanks for all your help and I will be back here on my next trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]