Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) InterContinental

travelAlot
By travelAlot,
in

Pretty methodical winning bid, perhaps a bit trigger-happy given that I have until December. But things can fluctuate in Chicago and hard to tell whether holiday season (less biz travelers=more inventory/lower rates or more holiday shoppers/tourists=higher rates/inventory). I've seen prime-location 4-stars go as low as $65 on the low end, and way way higher on the high end (in the 200s/night).

So I decided on 4-star category, researched (Hyatt Regency is $109 and the lowest on Priceline and Hotwire Packages...with a few others in the $109-125 range), knew that if I stayed 4-star would avoid the Ambassador which is off of Mich Ave. Did the usual hybrid bidding (usuing the rebid zones in combination). Unsuccessful starting at 45 51 55 60. Then next set of bids (a couple days later) at 62 67 71, with counteroffer at 93 -- rejected it and went to 75. To hedge my bets, as I'm arriving late on the 20th and need a very central hotel, I originally bid just for 3 nights (12/21-24), and then did an "add a night" to the Intercontinental to get my 4 nights (I know PL tacks on its fees to that "add a night" but it was worth it knowing the hotel ahead of this). The Intercontinental cheapest rate right now is $144/night for the 3 nights and $174 for the 1st night....so it's a nice deal as well.

Perfect location on Michigan Avenue for the holiday season (just got Bears-Packers tix so should be a fun weekend, even if 5 months away). I did my bids via the SavingsBarn link.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear it worked out well for you and you were able to utilize the "add a nite feature" in the manner in which you did. (and that you received a hotel which would work well for the first nite of your stay)

Thank you for sharing your win and for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]