Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

Bohemian
By Bohemian,
in

I have been looking on Hotwire for a 3* or better in any of the downtown areas of Chicago 6/17-6/19. On Hotwire there really are not any real deals. The best I have found that way was maybe a $20 discount on normal room rates.

Is this an indicator that Priceline won't offer any good deals? I see many people grabbing up downtown 3* or better hotels for under $100 historically in that same time frame the previous year on in recent months. The lack of deals through Hotwire got me concerned. I checked and there are no conventions or major events over those days. The only thing I found was a Sox game.

I am going to start bidding on Priceline next week after I have my vacation money in the bank. So I am trying to get a clue if that is even a possibility to get a good deal. It looks like you can't bail out of the process on Priceline just to see what kind of deals there are, ie: you have to be ready to buy or you can't look via. the offer a price.

Conventions:

Jun 15-17

U S Volleyball Association - ASICS Junior National Volleyball Championships

McCormick Place North

Delegates: 40,000

www.straightdownvolleyball.com

Jun 18-21

NXTcomm 2007

McCormick Place

Delegates: 20,000

www.nxtcommshow.com

Plus, normal summer traffic on top of it. Hotel rates have gone up (again...) and looking at historical rates around the same time of year will not be an indicator of what rates will be like this year, unfortunately.

Based on rates I'm seeing, $100 for a 4* (or more likely a 3*) isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I'm guessing it will more likely require at least a slightly/mildly higher sum.

I did a scan of results from various travel sites to get an idea of prices. It does look like the weekend may possibly be cheaper (15-17) so we are keeping that open as a possible option if we can get a really good deal.

The Whitehall was not available either of our dates (15-17) or (17-19).

What I found as best deals with the exception of blind bidding on Priceline are:

HOTWIRE, $139.00 four star loop area. Back tracks as the Hyatt on Wacker dr. (15-17)

HOTWIRE also had the Sheraton river north for $179.00

The next best I found were for the Hilton Michigan Ave. (Grant Park).

$162.00 via Hotels.com and $161.00 via Travelocity.com. Priceline shows it for $179.00

I checked most of the other common sites, Expedia, Orbitz, Travel Zoo, EasyClickTravel.

The best I could find was Orbiz $99 a night for Club Quarters 3 star loop area.

Not a bad rate but not my first choice.

Let me know if anyone has other research ideas. I am going to start bidding priceline for both dates tomorrow using the following strategy. Lowest price w/ highest star rating first and work my way down. Using the 17-19 dates first to see if I get a hit otherwise go to the 15-17 dates and do the same process. Ideally would be something around $65 a night though I know that is a long shot. If we can end up around $100 a night for a 3 star or better I would be happy.

The 4* Loop $129 is likely the W City Center for 6/15-17.

The 3.5 Loop for these dates for $99 is likely the Allegro.

Keep in mind that both of these hotels are in the West Loop area, which is fine during the day, but can get quiet or very quiet at night when the offices empty out and stores close. Many people dislike that W, but I actually had an enjoyable stay there.

First bid was $65 and it was rejected. We wanted to get something locked in fairly fast so instead of changing star or neighborhood i had my husband bid.

Bid $99 and got the Palmer House Hilton.

Happy with it since the goal was something nice (3.5* or better) and we wanted something with an indoor pool near the museums.

Thanks for the site and all the useful information!

The Palmer does get a few mixed reviews (mainly due to smaller rooms), but I do recommend it, as the building has an incredibly rich history (it's the oldest continually operating hotel in the US and one of chicago's largest) and the lobby is unbelievably gorgeous. Definitely a more "unique" experience. The rooms are a bit smaller (the hotel was built in the late 1800's, rooms were smaller then), but other aspects of the hotel (the rooms do offer the Hilton Serenity Beds, for example) are up-to-date.

Some aspects of the Palmer are currently under renovation, but that should not lead to any noise where the rooms are.

You can see the lobby here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_House

The Palmer is also within easy walking distance of the Art Institute and is right by State St. shopping (Macy's) There are 3 CTA train stations within a couple of blocks of the hotel, as well.

Now that you have your reservation, don't forget to call the hotel directly (not the general Hilton 800 #) to request your room preferences and if this is a special occassion let them know. I would also join the Hilton Club as it is free and give them the number to add to your reservation when making requests. I've found that the earlier requests are made the better. I've yet to be disappointed in a Priceline or Hotwire room when I've done this. I hope you have a great vacation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]