Hotwire Hotel: 3* NYC (MTE) The Roosevelt Hotel

geronimo
By geronimo,
in

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the board, just registered 3 days ago, although I've been lurking around the forums since July/August 2006.

I've been trying to find a good hotel in New York City at a good rate for the period from Saturday June 30th, 2007 to Thursday July 5th, 2007. The maximum I would like to spend is $130 per night, although I could go as high as $150 at an absolute maximum. At first I wanted a hotel in Jersey City but after more consideration I've decided that I would rather stay in Midtown New York City. I stayed in Elizabeth, NJ (airport area) when I went on vacation to NYC last summer and would rather stay within the actual city itself. This is the first time I am attempting to use both Hotwire and Priceline, and so far I haven't had much luck unfortunately. I followed (or tried to follow) the bidding of other members on this board and I see that some people recently got MTW hotels at great rates for very similar dates to those which I seek. This is my bidding history on Priceline for the past few days, always accessed through Savingsbarn.com:

May 19, 2007

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $75, rejected added re-bid zone...

Bid $85, rejected and waited 24 hours.

...On May 19 I also attempted to bid for hotels in Midtown but messed up with the re-bid zones. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what I did in sequence.

May 20, 2007

BID 1- MTW 110

If price is the most important factor i would re-consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID since i think doing so will help you get a better deal for these dates.

If that's relly not an option, i would continue to bid and book a cancellable back-up, of which i'd consider the Beekman Tower for $165/nite which gets excellent reviews. There is no booking fee so only about $15/nite more than you've already bid for the MTE zone.

If you'd like to continue bidding, or if you're willing to split your bid, let us know your maximum bid and we'll try to advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I guess I will have to re-consider something in that case. Maybe I will stick with a Jersey City hotel. It should be possible for me to get the Doubletree or Hyatt Regency in Jersey City within a price range of $90-$120 right? While price is my main priority, I just can't take the risk associated with splitting my bid, so I guess I will have to settle for an off-Manhattan hotel.

So how should I do my bidding for Jesey City? There is only 1 re-bid zone, right?

It's your trip and you know what you are most comfortable with, but i don't think changing hotels would really be as bad as yo think... you can even plan your activities around which part(s) of the city you'll be saying on each day (and two hotels allows you to experience two different areas of the city)

I can't say that $120 or less will be successful for a stay in Jersey City, but before you try that, have you already bid up to your limit for NYC? What is your maximum bid (for NYC?)

Keep in mind that all you need is one nite during your stay to have no availability (or a much higher) rate for your bid to be rejected. I was thinking that you may have success at amounts you have already bid, for at least part of your stay, if you were willing to change hotels during your stay.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise as to whatever you decide is best for you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yeah, I spoke with my mother and she does not want to switch hotels, so the bid-spltting is out of the question. I understand what you are saying about one night messing up my chances of getting an available rate. I do appreciate you trying to help me though, thank you. I think I may try for a Midtown hotel again, maybe tomorrow or in a few days, hopefully some new inventory will open up. I have already bid up to my maximum limit for NYC (well, $5 short of $150, which is an absolute max). Actually, it would be cheaper for me to get HOTWIRE's deal on the Hyatt Regency even though their rate is $155/night because their extra charges are less and the total comes out to be slightly cheaper than with Priceline. That may be my last resort, but for right now since I have lots of time I would like to try and bid for lower rates once again, first in Manhattan, and if that doesn't work then in Jersey City.

Well you can certainly bid NYC more strategically than you had bid it above... which zones are you willing to accept adn we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow? It also appears from above that you didn't go as high for the Downtown area, are you still willing to bid this area and at what maximum bid? (if different than the midtown area)

Ok that sounds good. My maximum bid for the Downtown would be the same as for the Midtown zones, which is $150, but I would prefer the latter area first. What would be a more strategic bidding strategy?

Two re-bid zones avialable when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Any quesitons feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry for not responding, but I just became a little discouraged. On May 23 I tried your new strategy for NYC, but bid up to $145 at the most (in placed of where you suggested $150), and I was still rejected. On that same day I also tried for Jersey City, first $120 and then $130 with the re-bid zone, and still rejected. I did the same Jersey City bid on May 25 and was once again rejected. I've decided that my maximum for Priceline is actually $140 since with the taxes and charges it would actually become more expensive than HOTWIRE's deal, and at least with Hotwire I know (educated guess) which hotel I'm getting and I don't have to keep trying with all of this annoying bidding. I am going to try the same strategy for NYC once again tonight.

Ok I just tried this strategy, bidding up to $140, and no luck:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add MTS...

Bid $140.

Select 4* Jersey City + Short Hills/Summit...

Bid $130, rejected...

Closed browser...

Select 4* Jersey City + Elizabeth...

Bid $140, rejected

*Note: my bidding for Short Hills/Summit was an accident, and it's a good thing I didn't win with that area! *phew!*

Just a 'warning'... don't count on the HOTWIRE deal to be there forever.

We often see users who use the HOTWIRE offer as their 'fallback' while they continue to try priceline, then one day the hotwire offer disappears and they don't have any backup plan. As your stay is for 5 nites, i think the risk of this increases, especially since the hotel we're talking about doesn't always offer availability during midweek.

It's also hard to equate the prices for each since one is staying in Jersey City and the other is directly in Manhattan.

If/when you do decide to go with Hotiwre, please remember to use our HOTWIRE link.

Keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your concern thereuare. Hotwire is not my last hope, however. I can always get the Residence Inn for the same great low rate as I did last summer (August 2006). That's really my fallback because I know I can get it at the last minute, like 1/2 weeks before as I did last year.

I would just prefer something closer/more convenient to Manhattan and a little more upscale, if possible, but I'm not willing to spend too much in order to achieve that. I'm now beginning to think that even $145 is too much to spend, I think I'm going to lower my maximum per night to no more than $120. Couldn't that be possibly achieved? In one of your posts above you said that some of my dates could be the problem.

I'm wondering which days do you think are problematic and why. I was really feeling like I would/should be able to get the Hyatt Regency Jersey City for a great rate since practically everyone else on this board has. Also, I was searching extensively way back through the forums and noticed that someone got the Hyatt for only $70/night for a 3 night stay (only 2 fewer nights than I would like) and for dates very similar to mine (they have June 29 to June 2), which included both weekday and weekend nights, just as my dates do.

I will keep trying to get a 3* in Jersey City on Priceline for the next 1/2 weeks (from $70 to max $120/night), as well as keep watching out on Hotwire (although I doubt much will change as I've been watching it since May 18th and it's been the same $154-$159/night). If I cannot get it than I will just forget it, save lots of money, and get a 2.5* in Elizabeth for around $50/night, just like someone else did today.

I have been trying (basically) the same strategy you suggested to me for the past week, with no luck.

I would appreciate any further insights you could provide. Thanks once again.

I wouldn't put so much faith in rates for the same dates from year-to-year... LOTS of things can change. Rates are date specific, and demand for a given date can (and does) change from year to year. As well, the hotel industry has been on a very strong rebound for the last few years and we have been seeing hotel price (both thru the opaque suppliers and thru conventional methods) increase over time.

While Elizabeth may be an option, you previously stated that SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is not an option. I'm not sure how commuting an hour each way to NYC would be a better option than changing your hotel room once during your stay. (even if you take the mall bus, which doesn't run as frequently, you still have to account for walking time to the mall, getting there a few minutes early, waiting for the bus, potential traffic, etc) Again, the priceline win for the Country Inn and Suites were for different dates than your own... you may be able to win for the same rate, but you can't just assume that you'll be able to replicate somebody elses bid for dates which are different than your own.

Inventory may open up closer to your travel dates, or prices can go even higher than they are today. For a further discussion on the topic see the related "bid early or close to check-in" link in our PRICELINE FAQ. However, prices that you believe to be a "given" are currently being rejected... which implies it's not as "given" as you think. :)

You're right, I forgot to take some of those other factors into account that could be affecting the price, such as the hotel industry rebound, inventory availablilty, not exactly the same dates even though they're close, etc. It's a shame really, I guess it sucks for me, but as I stated before I cannot change my dates, so I have to make this work somehow. I will keep trying over the next 2 weeks and as it gets closer to my travel time hopefully some new inventory will open up and the rates will go down. Otherwise I will have to rely on getting the same old Residence Inn I stayed in last year at a government rate of ~$90/night. That's my last hope I guess, but for now I'll keep trying. :)

I just got the Roosevelt Hotel in Midtown East in NYC on Hotwire for the great price of $143/night! I am sooo happy!! :)

Date of travel: 6/30/07 - 7/05/07

Amenities: Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

And of course I accessed HOTWIRE through the link provided on this great board. Thanks sooo much to thereuare and everyone who helps people get great deals on their vacations! :)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear you have settled this stay and that you're happy with the outcome.

Thank you for sharing your results and for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

PS- try Ess-A-Bagel one morning for breakfast, not too far from this hotel (Third Ave at 51st St), has one of the best bagels in the city and makes for a nice, inexpenisve, breakfast.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]