Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Sofitel

ptownjab
By ptownjab,
in

Hi, looking for a 4* in the Theatre District. We are going to NYC with another couple, and it will be there first time. While I'd prefer to stay in SoHo, I recommended to them that we stay in Times Square since it is there first time (even though the crowds are crazy!)

Is there a recommended entry level price to bid for a 4* in this area (MTW)?

Thanks Jeff

Since we are going up with friends, and it is there first time in NYC, they really want to stay in the heart of Times Square, so I would say that we are somewhat limited to MTW. I'd like to keep the max bid under $225 per night if possible. I'm not sure if its an issue or not with Priceline, but we will need 2 rooms (4 adults).

We will be arriving in NYC on 5/25/2007 and checking out on 5/28/2007. We'd like to keep our hotel rating limited to a 4*. Do you think the price/date/bid combination is possible?

I don't have a backup reserved yet, not sure if I will either.

Do I have a better chance of getting a good deal this far in advance, or should I wait until closer to my travel time?

Since we are going up with friends, and it is there first time in NYC, they really want to stay in the heart of Times Square

Read this thread and send it to your friends: Times Square Hotel

I don't have a backup reserved yet, not sure if I will either.
Why?? Back-up hotels (which are fully cancellable) can help you set a proper maximum bid, protect you from any price increases while you continue to search for better deals, and can only help.
Do I have a better chance of getting a good deal this far in advance, or should I wait until closer to my travel time?
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I'd read the above links and talk to your friends again, then get back to us and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My friends are well aware of the fishbowl comments about Times Square, but my friend's wife has made up her mind that that is where she wants to be. So, there we have it.

I've tried to convince him of the Hilton Millenium. That may be appealing to him because of it's proximity to Wall St, Ground Zero, Liberty, etc. But...it would only be a backup option if our bids go to high and we don't get what we want in MTW.

I went ahead and booked the Millenium Hilton for $239/night (2 rooms). So, I guess that you could say our max bid would be $235.

I'm not particularly keen on MTE, just because of the Waldorf. I stayed there 2 years ago and found it to be disgusting. That is the last place I'd want to stay.....just my personal preference.

I think going from "we must have a Times Square location" to "Guess what, we're staying downtown" (which is the complete opposite of Times Square) would be a big leap.

I think a better back-up would be the Affinia Manhattan for $218/nite... it costs a little less, has a great location, gets great reviews (ranked 15th in the city), and is more of what you're looking for. It's 3 blocks from Macy's and if you don't feel like making the short walk to Times Square the Madison Square Garden (and Penn Station) are right across the street... one stop to Times Square (although most would walk it))

Would this work for your plans? If so, would you even still want to try to bidding? If you still want to bid, what would be your maximum bid? (personally for me it would be somewhat lower than $210 to account for Priceline's fee, as well as the 'unknown' factor of the opaque purchase.

Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I'd still like to keep bidding 4*, MTW, 2 Rooms, 5/25/07-5/28/07, $230 max

I will take the Affina under consideration. I know it's a big jump from MTW, to downtown. I know Hilton and always prefer to stay there if its up to me.

Back to bidding.....what do you think I should try next?

I am getting completely shutout by Priceline right now.

Today I rebid:

Bid #5

MTW, 4*, 2 rooms, $185 - REJECTED

Bid #6

MTW / UES, 4*, 2 rooms, $197 - REJECTED

Bid #7

MTW / UWS, 4*, 2 rooms, $205 - REJECTED

Bid #8

MTW / UWS / UES, 4*, 2 rooms, $215 - REJECTED

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

I'd explain to your friend (or his wife) that the Affinia Manhattan is actually closer to Times Square (if you're using 42nd Street as the location) than some of the hotels in the MTW zone :)

Lose the mindset of "i have to win a hotel" and get the mindset of "i have to get the best hotel for my group".

Otherwise i'd put them in charge of the plans... maybe priceline isn't the best option for this stay.

We checked out the Affina...and we'd all prefer something else. The Millenium Hilton is our backup. If we are not staying in MTW, then we will stay there. All that aside, and based on my previoius bidding history (included in previous posts) will you please recommend a bidding strategy. Thanks for you help thereuare.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]