Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

ATTY
By ATTY,
in

I'm new to this forum and also rather new to priceline (used it once a while back and had no idea forums like this existed). I was hoping someone could give me some bidding help.

I need to be in NYC from Monday, 1/22/07 through Thursday, 1/25/07. I'll be attending meetings that are being held at the Marriott Marquis. I'd like to get a room in MTW, but am open to suggestions regarding other areas if they are close to this hotel. I'll be traveling back and forth to the Marriott frequently so walking distance would be ideal. I was hoping to spend around $120 for a 4* hotel. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

If not successful up to $120, would you rather go a little over your budget in order to be in MTW or would you prefer to try for a less expensive hotel in one of the other zones.

I wouldn't be too concerned about being walkable to the Marriott... depnding upon the weather the Grand Hyatt would be walkable, but even if you're not that close or the weather is cold, there are enough subway lines near this hotel that you could get most of the way there underground and then just a few block(s) walking above ground. If you're concerned about riding the subway (imo you shouldn't be... especially during daytime hours) then consider your total costs... is it worth spending an extra $40/nite on a hotel to be in walking distance when cabfare each day may only be half of that?

Let us know your thoughts and your maximum budget (is $120 your maximum or if that what you hope to keep it near... if 'hope' what is your real maximum?) and we'll advise accordingly.

PS- your topic title is also inconsistent with your post... i assume your check-in date is 1/22 and your check-out date is 1/25?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If not successful up to $120, would you rather go a little over your budget in order to be in MTW or would you prefer to try for a less expensive hotel in one of the other zones.
I'd go to $130 for MTW, but I'd rather not go higher...it isn't that important to me. So that's my max.
I wouldn't be too concerned about being walkable to the Marriott... depnding upon the weather the Grand Hyatt would be walkable, but even if you're not that close or the weather is cold, there are enough subway lines near this hotel that you could get most of the way there underground and then just a few block(s) walking above ground. If you're concerned about riding the subway (imo you shouldn't be... especially during daytime hours) then consider your total costs... is it worth spending an extra $40/nite on a hotel to be in walking distance when cabfare each day may only be half of that?
I'm not concerned with the subway, I just prefer to walk. A cab might be more of a hassle since I may be going back and forth 3-4 times on some days. I guess what I'm wondering is what other zones are closest to the Marriott (I'm not sure if you can even answer that question, since I could get a hotel on the outskirts of a "close" zone and no longer be close. Plus, "close" is a relative term). Regardless, what other zones do you suggest?

And yes, I meant 1/22 - 1/25--1/25 being the checkout date. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130.

If the aboev is rejected let us know if you'd prefer to look at other zones (MTE and UM/CPS should be fine... with your most likely landing in MTE... but you may not be walkable depending upon where in the zone you end up) or if you'd like to lower your star rating for MTW. Personally, with NYC mass transit so readily available and relatively inexpensive, i'd recommend trying for a 4* in one of the other nearby zones, but it's up to you as it's your trip.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am heading to NYC for three nights, four days, 1/22-1/25 (I posted earlier in another thread, but here is the update). After trying to get all three nights in MTW or MTE with a limit set at $130 with no success, I decided to change my strategy.

I bid for one night, 1/22, MTE, 115...rejected, and was asked by priceline to raise my offer $22 to re-bid with no changes (I declined).

I then added MTW to my bid and changed my price to $120...accepted.

I also chose to "Extend my trip", which worked out well in the sense that I got another night at $120, but only one night since that was the number of days I originally booked.

I need to book one more night, 1/24. I'm going to keep trying over the next few days and don't really care if I have to switch hotels since I'm traveling alone and won't be carrying too much.

Just wanted to say thanks to thereuare for the helpful comments in the other thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...realized I forgot to post the end result and I hate when I am reading a post out there and it cuts off.

My last night in NYC, 1/24, I got the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in MTW for $145, $177 with tax. Grand Hyatt was very nice, large room. Sheraton was only okay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]