Hotwire Hotel: 3* DC (Crystal City - Reagan National Airport DCA) Holiday Inn Crystal City

KLB
By KLB,
in

(Sorry for the multi-question topic, but this is something I've always been curious about but never had a situation where I needed to ask. I have that situation now.)

Using the Bidding Helper for 2 adults for 11/13/14-11/17/14 for Crystal City - Reagan National Airport DCA the best result is:

4* for $73/night (though it's $72 when starting my search through the HOTWIRE link). The amenities are Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower.  From the List of Hotwire hotels, this would appear to be a clear match to the Hyatt Regency Crystal City. Is that correct?

My issue is that while I need a room for 2 adults, I'd prefer to have 2 beds. I've learned from your forums that if you select 3 adults instead on Hotwire that should give you a 2nd bed. Is that correct? Therefore, when I redo this search with 3 adults using the Bidding Helper, I get a different 4* and a 4.5*, which don't appear to be on the Hotwire list. They are:

4* for $135/night. FULL AMENITIES: Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access. Do you know what hotel this is?

4.5* for $195/night. FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower. Do you know what hotel this is?

However, when I do the same search for 3 adults in one room starting my search through the HOTWIRE link, I get the above two results, but it also appears that I get the same 4* result from the "2 adult" search for $141/night. Why would that 3rd, 4* hotel not show up on BiddingHelper?

Therefore, my final question is that if it appears that the 4* for $73 for 2 adults is the same as the 4* for $141 for 3 adults, then what is your experience on booking the 2 adult rate, and calling to request a double bed room? Can they outright deny you? If this is the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, their website shows they offer both types of rooms, and, of course, it's the same price on the website ($189) whether you book a King or 2 Double beds.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

4* for $73/night (though it's $72 when starting my search through the HOTWIRE link). The amenities are Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower.  From the List of Hotwire hotels, this would appear to be a clear match to the Hyatt Regency Crystal City. Is that correct?

Yes, my best guess for this property would be the Hyatt Regency Crystal City.

My issue is that while I need a room for 2 adults, I'd prefer to have 2 beds. I've learned from your forums that if you select 3 adults instead on Hotwire that should give you a 2nd bed. Is that correct?

The room is guaranteed to accommodate triple occupancy, which should mean separate sleeping accommodations in the room. While this often means two beds in the room, the second bed could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc. Another method (which often may not increase the room rate as adding another adult might) is to search for 2adults/2children.

4* for $135/night. FULL AMENITIES: Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access. Do you know what hotel this is?

4.5* for $195/night. FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower. Do you know what hotel this is?

My guess for the 4.5* would be the The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City... for the 4* i'm not sure, maybe the Hilton Crystal City or the Westin (if one of these two i'd slightly favor the latter over the former, but with the limited (and common) amenities i wouldn't be too surprised if it was something else).

However, when I do the same search for 3 adults in one room starting my search through the HOTWIRE link, I get the above two results, but it also appears that I get the same 4* result from the "2 adult" search for $141/night. Why would that 3rd, 4* hotel not show up on BiddingHelper?

I'm not sure if you're referring to the HOTWIRE TAB vs. the EASY VIEW TAB, if this is the issue see the 'MORE INFO HERE' link within the EASY VIEW TAB, if you're referring to a direct search with our HOTWIRE link vs. the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com, it's just that sometimes hotwire does some odd/strange things with their searches... PRICELINE has their own idiosyncrasies as well.

Therefore, my final question is that if it appears that the 4* for $73 for 2 adults is the same as the 4* for $141 for 3 adults, then what is your experience on booking the 2 adult rate, and calling to request a double bed room? Can they outright deny you? If this is the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, their website shows they offer both types of rooms, and, of course, it's the same price on the website ($189) whether you book a King or 2 Double beds.

The hotel could deny your request for a room room with two beds if they choose to do so (or it's also possible that at the time you check-in all two bedded rooms are take and they simply can't accommodate your request, even if they wanted to). While the hotel does sell King rooms at the same rate at two Double bedded rooms, by making this reservation 'flexible' (and assigning your room based upon what is available at check-in) it helps them manage their inventory better. For example, let's say the hotel only two rooms left, one King Bed room and one room with TWO DOUBLE beds. If they assign you the room with two beds and then somebody calls direct and needs a two bedded room they need to turn that guest away... if they leave your reservation as 'flexible' and assigned at check-in, they can accommodate the next guest who books direct (at full price) and then assign you the 'other' room. Also, to further comment on one of your points... while the Hyatt does sell each room at the same price, if you search their site for more than double occupancy, you'll see the rate goes up $25/nite per guest over double occupancy, which explains the higher rate you're seeing on HOTWIRE when searching for more than double occupancy.

Hope the above thoroughly answers your questions. :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide to do for this stay OR how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you! Yes, that was definitely very thorough and helpful. I'm buying for 2 family members so I'll have to sit down and explain the pros/cons to them, and see what they want to do. I'll follow back up on this thread when I've made a decision, or if I have more questions (if that's possible). And, I'll definitely use the Hotwire link for any other searches I may do.

Glad we could help.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board. (and if your family members will be making a purchase on their own please ask them to stop by the board and use the links here as well)

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One more to help ID. Dates have changed to 11/14/14-11/17/14 and I'm searching for 1 room with 3 adults to try to get the double bed. Using BiddingHelper, I get a 3* - $68 - Crystal City/Reagan National Airport with FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower.

Is there any way to distinguish whether that's the Radisson or Holiday Inn?

The Radisson Reagan Airport has previously been seen with a Pool amenity which is not listed above. While it's possible that this is the Radisson and is 'hiding' its pool amenity, i'd tend to favor this one being the Holiday Inn Crystal City (which has been seen with this amenity set previously)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Using the Hotwire link, I went with the most recent 3* that I previously asked about, and, as predicted, it was the Holiday Inn National Airport. Amenities on the confirmation email: Amenities: Free Internet, Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower.

Thank you again for all your help.

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that this will work well for your needs. Looks like a nice deal considering it's for more than double occupancy.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]