Priceline Hotel: Hotel Bid - NYC - Aug 13 to Aug 21

rbfilho
By rbfilho,
in

Hello All

This is my first post here, i really hope i am doing everything right and respecting the rules

I will be staying in NYC from Aug 13 to Aug 21 and i would like help bidding on a hotel:

1-) 4 Stars

2-) Area: Empire State Building - Midtown East - Midtown West - Central Park South

3-) I'm planning to spend between $140,00 - $160,00 / night

4-) I already bid $140,00 to $147,00 but with no success

5-) I know that the US Open will start on August 25th. Do you think it will be riskier if i let to do the bidding two or three days before my trip in order to get a better price?

Am i doing something wrong? I never used priceline before or its bidding systems.

Can you help?

Thanks Very Much!

Welcome to the site.

I am relatively new to the site, as well, but want to share a few things I have picked up.

1.  Check the forums for the "re-bidding process". Here's the link to the one by an admin (about halfway down the page) that explains how to do this pretty well. You'll just have to adjust your zones:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=198251

2.  Always check the "hotel lists" for Priceline as they are pretty accurate and useful.  I keep multiple windows open and am always cross-checking stars and amenities

3.  Check Priceline Express deals. Right now, there is one avail in Midtown East for $165 (plus taxes/fees).  You could probably figure out from the amenities and review score (7.0) which one it is by doing a little research.

4.  ALWAYS use the "Priceline" links in the forum :)

I'm sure others can offer a lot more, but since I am technically at work and should be doing something, I'll keep this short :)

Welcome to Betterbidding.

You are not doing anything wrong, rates vary significantly from day-to-day and NYC is - unfortunately - often expensive/very expensive aside from during the slowest period of the year (January to around mid-March.) 

If the US Open is on the 25th, it should not be causing higher traffic multiple days in advance. There is no way to know if rates will come down closer to your stay - that has not been the case as much in recent years as demand has gone up. Rates can also go up closer to the stay and do so suddenly. 

A week+ stay in NYC may also be the issue, as a hotel may not have a deal for the entire period and/or something during part of your stay may be causing rates for part of your stay to be higher. Still, when looking at 13-17 separately, rates seem a little better, but splitting the stay may not be enough of a benefit to outweigh the likely event that you'll have to move hotels. 

There is a 4* in MTE for $168 for these dates on Hot.wire and a 4* in MTE on Price.line Express (as noted above) at $165. You're likely not far off, but unfortunately, given the rates for these dates, a higher bid is required. You have some time, so I'd go slowly at this point. If $147 failed, $150, $152, $155, etc. I don't think you'll have to go much higher than you already have.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If you're willing to look a little further south, Priceline.Express has a 4* in Madison Square Garden/Convention zone with amenities of pet friendly, restaurant, business center and fitness center for $149/night. Judging from hotel list, this is probably going to be Wyndham New Yorker. Less than a block to subway station.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

If you used PRICELINE or HOTWIRE for Miami it would be appreciated if you shared your win with the board so that others can benefit from the information.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them so that others can benefit from the information in a timely manner.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate bookings.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]