Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

ephemeralness
By ephemeralness,
in

I'm traveling by myself by train (no car) to a conference in Downtown Chicago, so I'm hoping to stay in the Millennium Park, Loop, Grant Park or North Michigan Ave area. I've seen other people get deals under $100 for hotels in this area, and I was hoping to do the same. Do I need to wait until closer to the date in question? Or is that I only need one night a problem?

I've tried an $80 bid on 4 stars in those two areas yesterday and wasn't accepted. Any help would be appreciated. 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are date specific and demand (and therefore rates) for your dates may be higher then when others have won for less.

If you search our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for '1 mile from Chicago', select only 4* and higher hotels, then click the PRICE heading at the top of the list of hotels on the left (this will sort the results by price) you'll see the least expensive 4* hotels for your dates star at ~$200/nite, making your current bids less than half of prevailing rates, which does not give you a very high probability of success.

With the above noted, rates aren't too bad, and at the moment you're likely looking in the $100-$120 range for a 4* hotel in one of these zone.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm all for recommending staying outside the city when it's cheaper (I often recommend the North Burbs, which offer some sights of their own, including the Chicago Botanic Garden, plus some great restaurants - the only problem is that the burbs are best if you have a car), but at the airport, I'd guess you're looking at $60's/low $70's for a 4*.and $100-$120 for a 4* downtown.

It is a long (50-60 minute) ride into the city each way from the airport via the L, but it certainly does provide a savings over downtown.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm taking the train up on Friday night, so ideally I would check into the hotel and have some time downtown. Then I need to check out of the hotel Saturday morning, spend the day at the conference and take the train home that evening. 

AaronJB - thanks, I didn't realize the L trip was quite that long from the airport. 

I guess I'm wary of bidding lower on a 3.5/3 star hotel downtown, I've looked over the lists on this website of Pric.eline hotels in those star ranges, and while they seem fine, I'm just cautious. If anyone has had experience with the lower star hotels in those areas, I would appreciate it.

If you intend to explore the city i would stay Downtown, even if it meant lowering your star rating, as the 2 hour roundtrip on the L would take up too much of the little time in you have in the city.

A 4* hotel for $100-$120 directly downtown would seem like a pretty good deal, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I like the 3/3.5* properties to the North of the river in the NMA area. There are some really great properties at these levels in this area that I would be very happy to stay at again. There are a couple of iffy properties at the 3* level (the Inn of Chicago and the Tremont), but I will say that these properties are in GREAT locations.

Not as much a fan of bidding at the 3/3.5* level in the Millennium Park-Loop-GP area, although there are a few very nice hotels at these levels.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks everyone for your help! I put in an $85 bid for 4 stars in the North Michigan Ave area, expecting to be rejected and re-bid at 3.5* and magically this bid was accepted. Very happy with this and I'm sure it will make the trip more enjoyable to be staying so close to the train station and the conference. Thanks again!

Congrats on your success. :)

I'm pretty stunned at this win, too! This is a FANTASTIC deal for this well-located property ($249 on the hotel website.) This hotel used to be the House of Blues hotel (the HOB is still next door), but this boutique property was bought by Marriott last year. Bin 36 restaurant in the same complex is a nice wine bar, but there are a LOT of great dining options within easy/relatively easy walking distance.

The restaurant-heavy River North area is right nearby, too. Let me know if you have any Chicago questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]