Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTW) Manhattan Centre Hotel

otip
By otip,
in

Hi there,

I'm a new user and only came across Priceline a few weeks back and just stumbled across this board today. After doing some research I feel ready to delve into this bidding for hotel thing, but I'd still like some help in overall process.

Dates of stay: 21Oct 2011 - 30Oct 2011 (If it's of any concern, I arrive at JFK around 7pm, but late check-in is a matter I'd have to take up with the hotel I get right?)

Number of people traveling: 2

Price range: $150-$230 per night but would like to be conservative with the price range because we'll have to account for taxes.

Hotel level: 4 star is preferable, but willing to drop it down to 3.5/3

Hotel Location (in order of preference): Empire State Building Area, Midtown West, Midtown East

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you want to begin by trying for a 4* hotel, what do you want to set as your maximum bid before you would lower your star rating and try at the 3.5* level?

Also, is there a reason you're avoiding TS and MTW? These typically work well for the average user as well, and these are likely to be busy (and expensive) dates in NYC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too! (please click this PRICELINE link before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

First off, thanks for the help. I'm thinking that $200 is the max I'd pay for a 4* room, though if need be my budget does allow for $230. In regards to why I didn't include Midtown West and Times Square, well it's my first time going to NYC so I don't know that much about what the different areas are like really. Just received some info from friends that the areas I listed before were good. Though I'm willing to try both TS and MTW on your recommendation. Also we figured these dates were going to be expensive after looking around on Expedia and such sites, though we have no idea why that might be.

Cheers.

Sorry thereuare,

Didn't notice that last part of the final sentence. But being completely new to priceline, I'm now left a little confused. After clicking the link and being brought to a priceline page, am I supposed to begin the bidding process and start with any arbitrary bid in the zones I'm after?...

Thanks.

At the 4* level MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB all centrally located and typically work quite well for the average user (at 3.5* and under, should you need to lower your star rating, the recommended zones change based upon some of the 'known' possibilities, but we'll cross that bridge once we get there). While i think $200 will probably fall short we can try that first and take it from there.

At the 4* level in NYC you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions (especially regarding confirming your re-bid zones) feel free to ask. If the above is rejected you can let us know if you prefer to:

-lower rating to 3.5*

-increase maximum bid to $230 for a 4*

-SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

Tried the above bidding strategy with no luck as yet, was just hoping we could snag a 4* room for a lot less but all offers were rejected.

Anyway, if you don't mind I'd like to try aiming for 3.5* hotels in the following districts: MSG, MTE, MTW and TS. Keeping the max bid at $200 for now. If my bids still get rejected, we'll go back to trying the 4* hotels again up to a max price of $230. Not too keen on splitting our bid, but we'll reconsider it if all our bids get rejected.

Thanks for all the help.

Anyway, if you don't mind I'd like to try aiming for 3.5* hotels in the following districts: MSG, MTE, MTW and TS.

Do note that at the 3.5* and under level, some of the hotels in the MTE zone can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... please confirm that this is acceptable and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Although we're quite active and plan on walking around nyc a lot while we're there, I think the distance to the hotel in the MTE zone might be an issue. If it doesn't happen to restrict our choice of hotel too much, I think omitting that particular zone would be the best option.

Well your budget is still likely to be a bit difficult, but we can try 3.5* bidding first without MTE, then if rejected you can decide if you want to try 3.5* again with MTE, or increase your budget for a 4* hotel in the zones previously bid.

At the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW...

Select 3.5* TS...

Select 3.5* MSG and MTW...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG and MTS...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

So again no luck with winning any hotel bids. I'm beginning to wonder if our 9 night stay might be the issue.

Anyway, on reconsideration we'd like to try and add the 3.5* hotels in MTE, before going for 4* and the higher bidding budget. I guess if that still fails we can always go use hotwire or do the splitting thing.

Cheers.

To try at the 3.5* level including Downtown i'd bid as follows, using the PRICELINE link on the board each time please:

Select 3.5* MSG and Downtown

Select 3.5* MTW and TS

Select 3.5* TS and Downtown

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW and MSG

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW and Downtown

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG and TS

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW and Downtown and MSG...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW and Downtown and TS...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, MTW, TS and Downtown...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Hi hi,

Good news, thanks to your help, managed to snag a hotel room for $188 per night, 3.5* Manhattan Centre Hotel.

The dates are for 21Oct to 30Oct and the total price was $2050.

Thanks again for all the patience and help, now it's time to plan what to see and do.

Cheers.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were success... a nice deal for this time of year. As with most of NYC, the rooms here are small, but the location is excellent and should prove to be a great launching pad every day to explore the city.

You're not too far from my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

As well, for a cheap dinner or late nite meal, try the

platter for this famous cart on the SouthWest corner of 53rd and Sixth. NOTE there is a different cart there during the day, you want the one that arrives at 7:30pm and leaves at ~4am (now you know why they say the city never sleeps!)... use the hot sauce VERY SPARINGLY!!!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]