FL Daytona Beach Hilton Ocean Walk

Hokietravel
By Hokietravel,
in

A four-star experience with bellmen, valet parking, in-hotel spa, and attached ballrooms and other convention center spaces.

The rooms were average sized and reasonably clean. Towels were provided at both pools, eliminating the need to bring our own, including full length beach towel size, if you got there early enough. The South Tower pool can get crowded and run out of chairs. When that happened, we simply went to the North Tower pool, which was all but empty even though the hotel was packed. (Easter weekend)

We paid $46/night (priceline) and were given a 9th floor ocean front. The hotel also has ocean view, pool view, city view, and cabana suites. I thought we would get city view considering it was a Priceline bid, but were lucky. Either the walls are nice and thick or we had silent neighbors, although the doors do slam. Parking was either $10/d to self park a block and 1/2 away or $17/d to valet park, and in-room internet was an additional $10/day. There is free wifi in the business center and ~6 computers, which were rarely all used despite a 700+ room hotel. However, I could not get a connection to wifi for 3 of the 4 days we were there.

Location is one of the main advatages to the Hilton. It is adjacent on one side to the Main Street pier and on the other to the Ocean Walk Shoppes, including the historic band shell. Some of the North Tower rooms are great seats for the band shell concerts (which start in April). Across the street is the auditorium, and most of the beach rentals of bicycles, pedal carts, wave boards, and chairs are done right in front of the hotel. One does have to cross the ocean walk for which the hotel is named to get to the beach, a wide expanse of pavement/concrete with benches that extends past other hotels and shops. The clock tower is directly in front of the South Tower of the Hilton. On the other hand, with pre-teen children, I didn't feel terribly safe walking around the pier/Main Street area after dark. One evening we went out to the ocean late in the day when most people had gone to dinner. But when we came back from the water's edge, our beach towels had been taken. The poor wet children had to shiver to the pool area to get towels. Also, there were one or two people walking around the beach during the day that I would guess were homeless.

There were several restaurants in the hotel and a spa, none of which we tried. The beach-level grill was closed and what appeared to be a row of shops were all closed.

It is an all non-smoking hotel but animals are allowed, so you may want to check if you have allergies. One day, there were little bits of dog 'leavings' all the way down the hall where clearly one little fellow didn't make it to the dog walk. I cannot believe the owner didn't pick it up but was more surprised that staff didn't until well past noon.

• 1 month later...

After a second stay at this hotel on May 14-16, 2010, I thought I would update this review. Unlike last visit, we were giving a "city view" room. Fair enough considering we paid $45/night through Priceline and the deal is that I will get a discounted room in exchange for taking whatever room they will give me, including the least acceptable room in the place. But part of least acceptable is acceptable, and this room was questionable. It was a handicapped room, and while I am so glad they have them for those who need them, this bathroom was not pleasant for a family of four without handicaps. The entire bathroom is the shower floor. While the nozzle is to the side and there is a curtain, there is nothing on the floor that prevents the water from running all over, and there is a large drain in the center. With four people bathing, the floor was always wet, even when using the sink to brush ones teeth or use the toilet. It was like always standing in a bathtub. We tried to build a dam with extra towels that we requested, and it worked somewhat.

This is not a complaint, merely a post to alert Priceline users that there is a possibility of getting this room. I was told directly that what room one gets "can depend on the provider you used to book the room." I understood that to mean Priceline or other discount outlets.

We were offered a different room that day for $125 additional per night and declined. We were able to move the next day for $10 additional, but only because we stayed on top of them and keep checking back every few hours.

• 2 months later...

8/12/10 We are currently in our Priceline room at the hotel. It's a great deal for $50 per night. Upon check in I asked for two queen beds only to be told only a king city view was available. She then offered to upgrade the room for $40 to an ocean view. I refused & after informing the office person I was a Hilton Honors member, she was able to "upgrade complimentary" to the queen beds we requested & ocean view. We are on the 3rd floor which doesn't have the window that open to the railing (I think this is suppose to be a balcony but in fact is just a window opening to a rail which folks are hanging their towels...no big deal) & we are overlooking the pool but the ocean is right there. No complaints. The room is average size & the walls are thin. We heard the alarm next door go off at 6:00 am & the tv next door...just turned ours up louder. The previous review from 4/10 is helpful...valet parking is $17 per day while Hilton self parking across the street behind the bar-b-que restaurant is $10. There really is no where else to park. The public parking garage across the street does not allow over night parking & while there is metered street parking, it is 25 cents for 15 minutes from 9 am to 11 pm. There is no other parking option. The restaurant here has a great happy hour (4:30-6:30PM) deal with 15+ drink/martini choices for $4 & appetizers for $5. There is also a dinner for $19.99 which includes soup or salad, entree, side which was a great deal. We plan on going back tonight & trying the cucumber martini. The folks we talked to at the bar last night had eaten there two nights in a row. We had the crab cakes & steak & they were great! The beach is beautiful but it is hot during the day this time of the year. Next to the property there is a ferris wheel & one of those bungie cord contraptions slinging squealing folks into the air. We walked there yesterday & there's a guy with giant lizards & snakes who will take your picture, print it for $8. We'll wait until it cools down to take an early evening walk.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]