Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Palm Beach (Gardens) Doubletree

WPBdiver
By WPBdiver,
in

Bidding for a five day stay in Palm Beach Gardens at 3.5*. Typically, either the Marriott or the Doubletree are won by me in this zone. Doubletree's rate was $89 and Marriott's was $109 from their hotel sites. I started at a very low price ($39) since I have 5 re-bids in this area (actually Singer Isalnd is not a re-bid technically as it has a 3.5* offering, but I am okay staying in that area plus the hotels on Singer Island are so pricey these days with many properties going to condos or closing down over the years, I felt it was a remote chance of getting anything there).

$39 was rejected.

Added Jupiter (and then I goofed adding Singer Island AT THE SAME TIME!) so I wasted a re-bid and went to $44. Rejected.

Added Central Palm Beach at $49. Rejected.

Added Airport at $53. Rejected.

Added West Palm Beach at $55. Rejected.

Was kind of surprised I didn't strike paydirt in the mid $50 range. But will now wait for 24 hrs. and formulate a new plan. It's been a while since I have bid in this area, but it seems the PL hotel lists have expanded their star quality in many of these zones, particularly Palm Beach, which offers 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, and 1. Don't recall that in the past. Hopefully things will change for the better with this bid.

Of course, bid through the board's PRICELINE link!

Tried this bid again using the board's PRICELINE link, same dates of stay (5/26/2010 - 5/31/2010). With 5 rebid zones, went to $62. No luck.

Doubletree's rack rate is $99 per night, pre-pay non-refundable is $89.10, and then there is a rate for $79.20 if you stay over on a Sunday (which I am) and is able to be canceled within 24 hours of arrival. Marriott is at $109.

I went ahead and booked the $79.20 as a safety. Hard for me to believe I bid up to 78% of the rate I could get outside of Priceline and came up empty. Never had this much difficulty in years of doing this for the same region at the same time of year (Memorial Day).

Any insight would be welcome as to a successful strategy. I will be trying this again in the future.

Doubletree Hotel & Executive Meeting Center Palm Beach Gardens

4431 PGA Boulevard, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33410

1-561-622-2260

Stay Information

Check-in: Wed 26 May 2010

Check-out: Mon 31 May 2010

Rooms: 1 Room

Guests per Room: 1 Adult

Room Description: KING BALCONY NON-SMOKING

Rate Type:

Stay Sunday 20% off

Rate per Night (USD) 79.20

Total For Stay

Rate (USD) 396.00

Taxes 45.54

Total 441.54

I don't think you can really use the $79.20 rate for comparison since it's a "special condition" rate... but still with the $89 non-refundable rate you are "pretty close". My guess is that the hotel may be holding on to inventory due to the Memorial Day Weeekend, and it's possible that they look to release rooms in the weeks ahead... it is still almost 2 months before your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and if you didn't, note in our support page that we also have links to the Doubletree as well as most major hotel chains and booking agencies)

Keep us updated as to your progress and let us know if we ca be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Tried again for this trip with no success, same dates (5/26 - 5/31), in Palm Beach Gardens zone at 3.5*. Hotel rates per Doubletree's website $89 (the same). Marriott rose from $109 to $129 for 5/26-5/27 but then lowers to $89 for remaining three days (this lower weekend price is new since the first bid). Looks like the weekend rooms may be easier to get while the Wednesday/Thursday rooms may be tougher. Just a thought....I am pondering splitting this into two bids at the risk of changing properties. One bid for 5/26-5/27 and another for 5/28-5/31.

Initial bid for PB Gardens at $40 for 3.5* was rejected.

Added Jupiter at $45.

Added Singer Island at $50.

Added Central Palm Beach at $55.

Added Airport at $60.

Added West Palm Beach at $65. All rejected.

I still have the $79.20 rate secured, but I am within $15 of this special condition rate (with my bid of $65) since I am staying over the weekend. The one bright spot is the Marriott's weekend rates discounted to $89 on the weekend, so perhaps that's a sign things will ease up a bit.

Used the links to the Doubletree / Marriott on the travel links page plus the PRICELINE link for my bids.

I am pondering splitting this into two bids at the risk of changing properties.

It's ultimately you're decision, but i wouldn't consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID in this situation until much closer to your stay (inside of 10 days)... it's too early to do so, imo, given that you have a pretty good back-up reservation for the complete stay.

Just my .02

Thanks for using the support page and PRICELINE links on the board for your bidding. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Success finally at $55! Same dates, same parameters. Hotel rates per Doubletree's website $89 (the same). as of 4/28.

Initial bid for PB Gardens at $40 for 3.5* was rejected.

Added Jupiter at $45.

Added Singer Island at $50.

Added Central Palm Beach at $55, accepted.

I will now cancel the $79.20 special Sunday stayover rate (still a good value), but I saved $123 with this bid.

Used the links to the Doubletree on the travel links page plus the PRICELINE link for my bids.

Bid details:

Doubletree Hotel Palm Beach Gardens 3

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're happy with with the results... a price even lower than you had previously bid an no need to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID!

Glad to see it worked out well for you and that you're happy with the outcome.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy you stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]