Priceline Hotel: Need help with NYC 5/4-5/11

Leene
By Leene,
in

Hi,

I'm planning to use Priceline for the first time. We (me and my friend) are going to be in New York from May 4th to 11th and we've already bought the plain tickets so these are the final dates. Our prefferred areas are

1) Times Square - Theatre District

2) Midtown West

3) Central Park South

Of course we'd prefer 4* hotel but I think we'd be ok with 3.5* and 3* hotel too because our resources are very limited. We need a room that's under $110 per night for 2 people INCLUDING taxes. If we'd have a shout with 4* then we'd definetly would try that first. What should my strategy be and what price should I offer then? One more thing - can I be sure that there will be rooms with 2 beds available? I doubt it but I want to make sure...

Thanks sooo much for any advice you can give us.

As you are aware, i think your budget is going to be tough. $110 all-in is just over $90 before fees and taxes.

I'd try as follows...

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* TS, MTW, CPS...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $92, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

At the 3* level you have NO re-bid zones.

Select 3* TS...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW...

Select 3* CPS...

Select 3* TS and MTW...

Bid $89, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and CPS...

Bid $89, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MTW and CPS...

Bid $92

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry to hear that the bids were not accepted. :)

2* is definitely more of a risk and there may be some iffy properties at this level (very, very few 2*'s have been reported to the board.) If you do want to try for a 2*, I'd try starting at $65 and working higher.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

I have a new plan - I'll see if we can stay with a new yorker for 2 nights so we could make bigger bids. This way we could bid up to $128 before taxes. The areas are still TS, EmpireS, MTW, MadSq, CPS, MDE - all of them will do. What * hotel would we probably be able to get? Ps. thanks for patience :)

If you happen to have one of those Entertainment books (or have a friend who has one), there is a coupon in it for a $10 per night bonus on your bid.

Also, it never hurts to check on PL's site to see if your profile has been awarded any bonuses. After you sign in, it is under My Profile and then My Rewards. It is pretty random and not real often, but once in a while there is a bonus there.

Romelle

The original post mentioned the guarantee of 2 beds-

I believe you could end up with a room that has 1 standard size bed. (smaller than a queen) using Priceline.

Yes I know now that there is no guarantee but if we'd get a good deal we'd survive that. :)

If you happen to have one of those Entertainment books (or have a friend who has one), there is a coupon in it for a $10 per night bonus on your bid.

Also, it never hurts to check on PL's site to see if your profile has been awarded any bonuses. After you sign in, it is under My Profile and then My Rewards. It is pretty random and not real often, but once in a while there is a bonus there.

Romelle

Since I haven't completed any bids I unfortunatly don't have any bonuses.

Since I haven't completed any bids I unfortunatly don't have any bonuses.

Do you have access to an Entertainment Book? They are for specific cities and look like this - http://www.entertainment.com

If you would consider it, there are also the youth hostels - www.hihostels.com. They might be a better alternative than the NYC 2*s. They take all ages, and sometimes can be a good way to meet other fun people.

Romelle

PS - I don't think it is a requirement to complete a bid in order to get a bonus on PL? They don't happen very often, but one never knows just what triggers them.

Another thing you might consider is splitting your bid into three parts, if you are willing to move. It often can help when bidding a longer span of days.

Tue-Wed-Thur

Sat-Sun

Mon-Tue

That way you have a shot at properties that are business hotels with lower occupancy on weekends, and then tourist hotels that have lower occupancy on weekdays.

And you mentioned maybe being able to stay with friends for some of the days. If you successfully capture two out of the three above with reasonable bids, then you could stay with your friends for the remaining part.

I think I'd add further out PL areas before I'd drop to the 2*s in a place like NYC. You can get around very efficiently and quickly and cheaply using the metro.

And a different option, but can be made to work - those airport hotels are a lot less expensive. If you are getting to NY by plane and have a late arrival or an early departure, the airport hotels can work well.

Romelle

I actually think I won't bid anymore, because the more I think about it the more I want to know what hotel I'm going to get before paying. I actually booked a Ramada Hotel Long Island City room for 5 nights because it's very near to Manhattan. It can still be cancelled so I can still change my mind...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]